How do you clean and lube your chain?

I use Finish Line grunge brush once a week, dipped in ecotech2 cleaner. Once a month I take the chain off, put it in a small bucket, pour a little ecotech2 in it and swirl it around.

After either of these, I put it on the bike if needed, and turn the crank while wiping the chain with a cloth.

Then I lube it thoroughly with Boeing T9 or Kryotech. Let them dry for about 2 hours and wipe it down again.

philhudson said:
How do you clean and lube your chain?

at the minute i use an old tooth brush and rags!

Save your coins on the chain cleaner and buy a snap link. Recycle your disposable plastic beverage bottles as one time use chain cleaners. Remove the chain from the bike, put it in the bottle and add solvent. Shake, drain and repeat until clean. Cut the bottle open to extract the chain. Recycle solvent through coffee filters and let settle, decanting off the really fine grunge. Clean the old bottle fragments and send to the recycler. The old solvent can be reused until it is gone because a bit of it on a small rag is used to clean the chain rings and cogs.

You bike will stay cleaner, your tires will last longer. And you may certainly use eco-friendly solvents like turpentine, trans-esterified vegetable oils (bio-diesel) or industrial citrus degreaser (not the watery stuff).

Yes that's right. I like the suggestion of doing it cheaply. I put a Wipperman chain on that I can open easily at any link.

Truth is, even when I clean with the brush, or my Park chain cleaner, it's not as clean as soaking it in solvent, and takes just as long. Weisse Luft's suggestion sounds really good.

philhudson said:
is a snap link like a bit of chain the comes a part easy, like quick release?

I really like Ecotech2 from Finish Line. It's made from a vegetable oil extract and has no fumes, is environmentally friendly, and cleans really well. There are lots of them out there and they're probably all pretty good.

philhudson said:
What solvents to you put it in? lol sorry about the questions!

So you just put normal chain cleaner in? I use TF2 to lube, is that what i put in, or is the solvent a completly different thing?:rolleyes:

Solvent is different than lube. CLean with the solvent, then use a good lube appropriate for your conditions. Since it's getting rainy in Britain now, I'd suggest something like White Lightning, Kryotech or Boeing Boetech T9. At least those are the brand names available in the US. Basically, a good wax lubricant that doesn't attract dirt, is self cleaning and will last.

philhudson said:
So you just put normal chain cleaner in? I use TF2 to lube, is that what i put in, or is the solvent a completly different thing?:rolleyes:

[
I use acetone it is really fast and gets the chain spotless in a few minutes in and out.
I have been playing with lubes. for dry ( I have not tested it in the rain) purple extreme works great. you need to let it dry for atleast a few days after you apply it. then wipe off the excess wait a few more days and the sucker does not hardly attract any dirt. and you get about 400 miles between lubes. I had my first train ride with it but I got hit by a car so It did not get finished.

stevek said:
[
I use acetone it is really fast and gets the chain spotless in a few minutes in and out.
I have been playing with lubes. for dry ( I have not tested it in the rain) purple extreme works great. you need to let it dry for atleast a few days after you apply it. then wipe off the excess wait a few more days and the sucker does not hardly attract any dirt. and you get about 400 miles between lubes. I had my first train ride with it but I got hit by a car so It did not get finished.
You blokes are missing the best invention of the 21st century - Pedros ICE WAX. It's a silicon, water based lube which you wash clean with soapy water. I use a stiff brush, car wash (don't use household detergent because they have an acidic content which generates rust) ... scrub it clean, hose off .... best next step if you have it is to blow the chain dry with compressed air ... then go around one roller at a time and put a drop of lube of the inside face of the roller ... gently rotate a few times, let it sit for the lube to 'set' ... great protection, quiet running, as good a chain life as any other lube I've ever tried offers AND, BEST BIT, no mess and the same easy process next time around. Do this once and, I promise, you'll never even think of buying oil based lubes again !

old&slow said:
You blokes are missing the best invention of the 21st century - Pedros ICE WAX.

that stuff is nothing new. you want new you need purple extreme or vew doo or several new ones. from all I hear the stuff can't go 400 miles between applications sometimes it causes rust

Solvent and gunk brush on cogs and drivetrain...solvent and chain cleaner machine on chain...finish cleaning of chain and chain rings with detail brush...rinse everything with water and blowdry the bejeezus out of it with a few passes from my leaf blower...lube everything lightly to complete. Did it last night while listening to the local high school football game. Got a couple of grungy finger nails to prove it. :p

My guess is that will work just fine. I just bought a gallon of biodegradable degreaser from wal-mart for $4, GREAT deal. I'll try it out later when I put a new crankset on my sons mtb.

babybunny said:
I believe someone said Ecotech2 from Finish Line earlier. My question is can you get by with just using cheap degreaser, like Performance Cleansafe Degreaser?

Where's a good place to get snap links?

rule62 said:
Solvent and gunk brush on cogs and drivetrain...solvent and chain cleaner machine on chain...finish cleaning of chain and chain rings with detail brush...rinse everything with water and blowdry the bejeezus out of it with a few passes from my leaf blower...lube everything lightly to complete. Did it last night while listening to the local high school football game. Got a couple of grungy finger nails to prove it. :p

if you do it right there is no gunk on the cogs.