How do you clean your camelbak?

iajnin

May 18, 2004
I just got one, and all I did was rinse it out. But how do I make sure the resovoir and the tube are clean?

I just take my camel for a walk through the local car wash, that cleans his back real nice, no wax.

cheers
George

Originally posted by gclark8
I just take my camel for a walk through the local car wash, that cleans his back real nice, no wax.

cheers
George

There is a car wash just outside my house, and thought I'd give it a shot. Those spinning rollers really did a number on my camel. Now he's just pissing everywhere to get back at me.

Originally posted by iajnin
I just got one, and all I did was rinse it out. But how do I make sure the resovoir and the tube are clean?

Simple solution...
For six years I have kept mine stored in the freezer (just the bladder!) between rides and have never had any problem with it being dirty! Try this method... I think you will like it! :D

I just empy it when I get home and stuff enough paper towels in the bladder to soak up all remaining water and to keep the bladder expanded. Leave the cap off and hang it to dry. Also remove the mouth piece to let air circulate. If you need to clean the tube use a piece of cotton (cotton ball) and shove it through with a coat hanger. This way it will always be clean and ready to go when you are. I've done this for the last four years and it's worked well for me.

I agree with trekrider, the freezer option is the easiest. Just take it out of the freezer the night before, give it a quick rinse when its thawed, and it ready for action.
After the ride get as much water out as possible give the mouth piece a quick wipe and pop it back in the freezer for next time. Sorted.

Dave

Cup of water, 1/4 cup coarse salt and a tablespoon of bleach. Put it in an empty bladder, seal and inflate. Shake for a few minutes, then take off the valve and squeeze out throught the tube. Rinse well.

To prevent bacterial growth, just store it with salt. Make sure to rinse before using.

Originally posted by dave602z
I agree with trekrider, the freezer option is the easiest. Just take it out of the freezer the night before, give it a quick rinse when its thawed, and it ready for action.
After the ride get as much water out as possible give the mouth piece a quick wipe and pop it back in the freezer for next time. Sorted.

Dave

Will storing it in the freezer damage the bladder in any way?

Originally posted by iajnin
Will storing it in the freezer damage the bladder in any way?

I have never had any problems with it. I make sure to blow all the water back out of the drink tube and then empty as much as possible from the bladder prior to storage. If you have room in the freezer, keep the bladder partially inflated stored flat in the freezer. It really works out if you have a large freezer in the garage (next to your bike!!) :D

Originally posted by trekrider
I have never had any problems with it. I make sure to blow all the water back out of the drink tube and then empty as much as possible from the bladder prior to storage. If you have room in the freezer, keep the bladder partially inflated stored flat in the freezer. It really works out if you have a large freezer in the garage (next to your bike!!) :D

camel backs are for losers

Originally posted by fushman

Kind of a harsh statement!!
Everything has it's place... on training rides they are not usually necessary and I don't normally bring it along. The bottles certainly suffice for anything less than 50 or 60 miles.
However.... in the middle of July doing a century+ I wouldn't imagine wanting to live without it!!
:cool:

I have two - does that make me a double loser? In fact, I wear them both at the same time! (OK, that's a joke)

I would say that people who make idiotic judgements are the losers...

As for cleaning tips, I have just been giving mine a basic rinse and letting them air dry. So far they haven't gotten funky - if they do, I am going to try the salt and bleach approach.

I don’t … :D

Submerge at Clorox solution at 20% for 2-3 hours when the transparent pipe turns black and first 12 legged freaks start coming out from the bladder, that’s my recipe.

Edited: RINSE WELL BEFORE USE!!!

Why do you say that? Are you one of those "no saddle bag, no Camelbak, gotta look like a pro rider even though I'm not" kind of riders? Camelbaks are great for "real" riders. Especially for long off-road rides. All your tools, a couple of spare tubes, some food, more water than you could possibly carry in bottles, maybe even a jacket, all right there.

try that stuff they use for cleaning false teeth : steradent ? or you could try the old baking soda trick .
Plastic bottles stay sweet if after cleaning you store them full of water - can you do that with a camal back ?

trekrider said:
partially inflated? flat? the two cannot co exist in the same space and time.. unless I am wrong here lol
:p

i always use the bleach & salt routine, but i pour a little salt & lime juice& reserva de familia in a shot glass . . . .take a sip of that & pour the rest in the bladder . . . . . . then take a few more sips of the salt, lime juice & takillaya . . . . .take a nap & rinse generously & blow dry with the air compressor & take a walk around the pool, turn on the spa & relax with the extra 2 h.p. pump with another drink . . . . . then call for the wife to join me . . . . .then all the b/4 mentioned stuff seems pretty silly, don't ya think ? ? ?

Although still ridin's suggestion sounds best, it won't get er done. Weisse Luft's suggestion is the one that I would use to start and then store it in the freezer after that. I personally don't use a camelbak myself as I don't like anything hanging on me while I ride. I just carry a three large water bottles. But everyone I know uses the bleach method or freezes them.