how do you climb hills?

The cadence recommendations on this thread are a bit low. Below 80rpm, when pedalling with a load, you're really running a risk of muscle burn (lactic acidosis) and you can injure joints with the high loadings. Over 90rpm is optimal.
Having said that, one doesn't always have low enough gears for every load and every hill. If my cadence is forced to go below 90 then I'll alternate periods in the saddle with periods standing on the pedals to try and rotate muscle usage a bit and avoid the burn.

I just did a tour from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs, and had some huge hills, some of them miles long. I just lowered the gear, and kept it going, load and all. I wasn't going very fast up these hills - about twice walking speed. It got to the point where I actually looked forward to them. Does that classify me as a Masochist?

lugger said:
How do you folks climb hills, not for racing, but for touring all day with a full load of gear?

How do you choose when to downshift and when to stand up?

How do you work the pedals (pushing, pulling, resting)?

Do you regulate your breathing?

How much momentum do you try to maintain?

What else do you do?

Do you have or know of a technique? I don’t really have a technique. Downshifting, standing, breathing, how I push and pull on the pedals… is all random.

The toughest hill I climb, without any load, is 11% grade for .07 mi or .1km. Short and steep. How do you climb hills like that and other kinds of hills when training and when touring?

My front chainrings are 52,42,30, but I try not to use the 30 because I don't want to bail out without a load on my bike. My nine speed cassette is 12-32.

In my last few east coast US tours I find there is no shame in lower gears. If your bike does not already have it and you are a beginner like myself make sure you have a triple chainring...in my first tour I never wanted to use the "granny" ring and really punished myself to a point that I was walking my bike more than I wanted to up some hills.

I strongly recommend practice spinning, spinning and get the triple chainring and use all of it...I have been able to get my cadence up on my last few trips and maintain 15mph and up to 40 mphs in alot of places. Use all your gears!!! Do not be afraid to switch...too many guys just stay in one gear!

Another big thing people fail to talk about is hydration, food and suppliments. Sometimes too much will slow you up and too little will slow you up also. I find it will affect you so do not over drink or eat. You will feel like you need to drink gallons and gallons of liquids and eat like a horse but you need to take it lighter than you feel. Also aminos or if you really want to get high-tech into the suppliments like some Green Tomato Extract, Arganine or NOExplode or just a some good old fashion caffine can make a difference on those hills to give you the added energy....

The biggest thing though already mentioned way beyond the physical is the mental...confidence is key.

-john

lugger said:
How do you folks climb hills, not for racing, but for touring all day with a full load of gear?

How do you choose when to downshift and when to stand up?

How do you work the pedals (pushing, pulling, resting)?

Do you regulate your breathing?

How much momentum do you try to maintain?

What else do you do?

Do you have or know of a technique? I don’t really have a technique. Downshifting, standing, breathing, how I push and pull on the pedals… is all random.

The toughest hill I climb, without any load, is 11% grade for .07 mi or .1km. Short and steep. How do you climb hills like that and other kinds of hills when training and when touring?

My front chainrings are 52,42,30, but I try not to use the 30 because I don't want to bail out without a load on my bike. My nine speed cassette is 12-32.

jsirabella said:
In my last few east coast US tours I find there is no shame in lower gears. If your bike does not already have it and you are a beginner like myself make sure you have a triple chainring...in my first tour I never wanted to use the "granny" ring and really punished myself to a point that I was walking my bike more than I wanted to up some hills.

I strongly recommend practice spinning, spinning and get the triple chainring and use all of it...I have been able to get my cadence up on my last few trips and maintain 15mph and up to 40 mphs in alot of places. Use all your gears!!! Do not be afraid to switch...too many guys just stay in one gear!

Another big thing people fail to talk about is hydration, food and suppliments. Sometimes too much will slow you up and too little will slow you up also. I find it will affect you so do not over drink or eat. You will feel like you need to drink gallons and gallons of liquids and eat like a horse but you need to take it lighter than you feel. Also aminos or if you really want to get high-tech into the suppliments like some Green Tomato Extract, Arganine or NOExplode or just a some good old fashion caffine can make a difference on those hills to give you the added energy....

The biggest thing though already mentioned way beyond the physical is the mental...confidence is key.

-john
I've got to take issue with your hydration and energy intake recommendations. Most people's thirst will not keep up with their needs, especially on a hot day. You need to drink ahead of being thirsty rather than rationing your intake in any way, or you'll end up reliably dehydrated.
Likewise, on a hard day a rider's appetite won't keep up with energy needs and you need to eat ahead of hunger, or you'll fall flat. Nothing fancy is needed, simply rich carbohydrate (and salt) sources (and varied, healthy dinners at the end of the day).

You are correct about drinking and eating before your needs. I can not argue with that but I have found that when drinking or eating during the ride the tendency is too over-drink and over-eat. You than get back on the bike and your body is using more energy processing the intake than moving you forward. I think a balance is needed.

I have also found in touring that especially when using maps from Adventure Cycling or general back roads between cities that there is no place to hydrate or eat for miles. You need to ration better....I ran into this last year during my ride from NY to Baltimore...the AC maps took me to nowwhere land...no body no where!

-john sirabella

artemidorus said:
I've got to take issue with your hydration and energy intake recommendations. Most people's thirst will not keep up with their needs, especially on a hot day. You need to drink ahead of being thirsty rather than rationing your intake in any way, or you'll end up reliably dehydrated.
Likewise, on a hard day a rider's appetite won't keep up with energy needs and you need to eat ahead of hunger, or you'll fall flat. Nothing fancy is needed, simply rich carbohydrate (and salt) sources (and varied, healthy dinners at the end of the day).

Chris410 said:
Good advice, make sure and work on your breathing, very very important on climbs and try to stay in the saddle at a consistent pace as much as you can. I see a lot of people who vary their pace which causes double the work. If climbing is your weakness the best way to improve is to climb...climb...and climb even more.

Also, approach the climb with a positive attitude, I used to run away from people quite a bit simply because they would defeat themselves right away...instead attack the climb! If you're in a race, watch the people around you, if you see them struggling, bobbing their upper bodies or standing a lot...use that opportunity to attack no matter how hard it hurt...trust me it will allow you to get away quickly!

Good luck!
And try to keep from staring at the summit.

Hi Lugger,
I just completed a loaded trip down through the Maritime Alps to Nice with some friends who are for the most part younger and stronger than I am. I'm 67. I've done this trip 6 - 7 times and may do it again next year. See www.todmoore.net. My strategy for long hills is to go at a speed that I could maintain all day. I actually say to myself. "Could you do this all day, or are you gasping, depending on the top of the hill for relief?" Usually I am fairly far back in the group, but when they stop for a break I can continue on if I wish because I"m neither breathing hard nor tired. How fast am I actually going? I have no idea. I have no computer. I'm going at a comfortable speed. I'm not tired at the end of the climb or at the end of the day and I enjoyed the scenery on the way up. Ride as though you were alone even when you're with a group. No one's timing you. If they are, don't ride with them again. It does help a lot to make sure you're using you hamstrings and butt rather than your quads and pedaling in a complete circle rather than just pushing and pulling. The route, which is spectacular and has a nice mix of hard and easy days, complete with hotels or campings if you prefer is at:
www.todmoore.net
enjoy.

Greetings,

I learned on my first tour on the Lake Champlain Bikeways to give up on the idea of maintaining a particular cadence when going up hill. Prior to that tour I had trained myself to maintain 90 rpm or better under almost all conditions but I had never seen those kind of hills before. I was using a double chain ring bike with 46 and 34 in the front and a six speed 14-34 in the back. I learned on that tour that I could drift all the way down to 2 to 3 mph (roughly 30 - 40 rpm) and still maintain my momemtum and balance going up hill. I have had surgery on the cartilage in my knees so I rarely stand. I weighed 210 pounds my height is 5'10" and was 48 years old at the time. If I had tried to maintain some arbitrary cadence I would have blown up or blown out my knees. As it was, I did not sag once while people on the tour with triple chain ring bicycles did.

Don't wait to get in shape. If you have sensible gearing on your bike you should be able to learn to climb hills. It helps to learn to pull back and up on your peddals to make fuller use of the crank cycle but the best way to do this is on the bike climbing hills. I do almost all my riding alone. Not having some one you need to keep up with is a help.

Since that first tour I have moved to a more rural and hillier part of Ohio. I now cycle around Loudonville in Ashland County where the hills on township roads are often extremely steep and sometimes quite long. I still train on these roads riding 20 - 40 miles a day using the same gearing I described above. I am now 52 years old and my weight is upward of 235 pounds yet I have learned to enjoy climbing these hills. I dread steep descents on the chip and seal road surfaces they have around here much more than any climb.

Cheers.

One thing about climbing hills. What I found useful was what might be called relaxed focused functioning and I used it continuously on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route. When going up hills it seems to be more efficient to let the leg muscles relax. That means do not hold the muscles tight, but concentrate on letting them relax as much as you can. It improves performance.

As for cadence and changing gears, that comes to you naturally when climbing. When you go over a series of fairly regular, roller-coaster type hills, one after the other and closely spaced you tend to set a rhythm for changing gears and I cannot think of a way to explicate it right now because there are so many different kinds of hills.

Some hills such as a gradual one that leads to a sudden steeper upturn require shifting from high to medium and then to low. Others you ascend as high as possible from pedaling on a fast roll in high or medium gear from another hill before it, and then when you reach a certain point you shift directly to the granny gear (low). It is something you have to work out for yourself, but the relaxed focused functioning seems to apply for just about all hills.

There are so many different kinds of hills. I would say experience is the answer and you develop your own most efficient methods by doing. And even if you do hit it wrong going up a hill the worst to happen is that you have to stop, then cycle across the road or back down a short distenace to switch to the right gear, then continue on up the hill. Sure it breaks your stride but so what. It is only one hill and you will get it right next time. It is not the end of the world.

I agree with everything you post. I have ridden a few different types of hills and you are correct, no hill is like no other hill and until you do the hill several times you will never figure out the best way to attack it. Also alot depends on your energy level that day. There are days where I start low and finish high and others where I am in high the whole time and others just stuck in low!

There are so many factors, so many styles...the key!! -> put in the miles. The more miles, the better you get!...simple. The only person to beat is yourself...make sure you have a heart monitor and a simple cateye that can keep atleast cadence. That is all you need and you just keep pushing.

One thing I always forget...recovery rides and days off. The older you are, the more you need. I myself find it tough as I always want to push myself and find recovery rides boring and than there is good old pride which gets in the way. With my setup .. I always get someone wanting to challenge me. This is why I took an old trek singletrack, got it running and use it for days off...no one bothers me anymore and they get ****** when I pass them.

Do not get me wrong I love a good challenge but with no recovery you just get more and more tired and your knees ache and you get frustrated.

I want to do that Pacific Coast ride next year...how is it? Do you go through well populated areas? How hilly? I am sure very pretty though...

-john sirabella

Velotour said:
One thing about climbing hills. What I found useful was what might be called relaxed focused functioning and I used it continuously on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route. When going up hills it seems to be more efficient to let the leg muscles relax. That means do not hold the muscles tight, but concentrate on letting them relax as much as you can. It improves performance.

As for cadence and changing gears, that comes to you naturally when climbing. When you go over a series of fairly regular, roller-coaster type hills, one after the other and closely spaced you tend to set a rhythm for changing gears and I cannot think of a way to explicate it right now because there are so many different kinds of hills.

Some hills such as a gradual one that leads to a sudden steeper upturn require shifting from high to medium and then to low. Others you ascend as high as possible from pedaling on a fast roll in high or medium gear from another hill before it, and then when you reach a certain point you shift directly to the granny gear (low). It is something you have to work out for yourself, but the relaxed focused functioning seems to apply for just about all hills.

There are so many different kinds of hills. I would say experience is the answer and you develop your own most efficient methods by doing. And even if you do hit it wrong going up a hill the worst to happen is that you have to stop, then cycle across the road or back down a short distenace to switch to the right gear, then continue on up the hill. Sure it breaks your stride but so what. It is only one hill and you will get it right next time. It is not the end of the world.

I know. There are so many different kinds of hills, and then you have weather conditions. A certain hill when you have a stiff following wind is a very different challenge in a side wind or a strong head wind. Then you have hills that come in fairly evenly spaced bunches and are about the same height. You just keep gearing basically the same over them all. There are hills that slope up gradually to a certain point where the up-slope suddenly increases dramatically. I did about 130 miles one day over a long series of sloping hills because there was a strong storm in back of me with straight-line winds going exactly my way. I stayed in my highest gear almost all the time and was completely unable to feel any torque through the crank arms and pedals for much of the ride. It was like riding a moped except that the engine was the wind. Those same sloping hills in a head wind would have been a completely and totally different story.

I try NOT to stand up at all going up hills. I read that if you must stand going up hills the bike may be the wrong size for you. I have stood going up hills but I have not found it to be particularly advantageous. I remain seated and concentrate on relaxed functioning and try my best to keep the leg muscles relaxed.

The Pacific Coast Bicycle Route was really fantastic. I loved it. Of course I had moments of frustration and anger too, but all in all it was great. Going from north to south puts a lot of wind at your back and you can really feel the difference on those coastal hills. The scenery is unsurpassed anywhere on the globe that I know of. The air off the pacific is fresh, clean, and loaded with oxygen. The route is very hilly. It is a good workout. I loved it.

It does go through some areas of dense populations such as San Francisco, LA, and San Diego, but that is okay. They are good places to rent a room in a hostel, rest, and see the cities. In San Frencisco I went to Fishermens' Wharf, took a trolley ride, and then crossd the bay to Berkley to visit around the campus at the UCB and Telegraph Avenue. In San Diego I took a trolley to Tiajuana in Mexico. Of course there are many towns and cities along the way. Some are very small and others are medium sized. At LA I stayed in a hostel on Venice Beach. That place was different.

If I had to recommend one route among them all as the best one to take in the USA I would recommend the PCBR, but not necessarily for everyone and not necessarily for the beginner. It is a tough route. It is not a pushover. There are hiker / biker sections in state campgrounds and they are cheap and many have showers. I say do it. If you get the chance do it. It is the best, but it is tough and it is no bed of roses.

I too have moments when I am up or down. For some odd reason during the day when I cycle the most I feel either medium or somewhat down. Then when dusk approaches I start feeling ultra energised. Some mornimgs I feel energised, then somewhat down in the afternoon, and then back up again near night fall. It may be due to my eating habits. I notice that if I eat a good breakfast and wait an hour-and-a-half or two hours before cycling I can feel the energy in the muscles, but if I just get up and eat and go right away I cannot feel the energy. I have found it helpful in the mornings when I first get going to cycle about ten or fifteen minutes and then to stop even if for only five minutes for rest. It seems to give a sort of second wind and the muscles function more efficiently after that than they would have if I had just kept going solid. My mileage also goes up dramatically after a few days of rest. The muscles need that rest. I read in a book on physical fitness that muscles get stronger not while you are exercising, but during the rest periods between the workouts. Maybe that explains why my highest mileage days came after a few days layover in a motel, with all other variables being about equal that is.

Perhaps you could give me some more information on exactly what recovery riding is and what you do to recover after a long day's ride or any kind of ride for that matter.

jsirabella said:
I agree with everything you post. I have ridden a few different types of hills and you are correct, no hill is like no other hill and until you do the hill several times you will never figure out the best way to attack it. Also alot depends on your energy level that day. There are days where I start low and finish high and others where I am in high the whole time and others just stuck in low!

There are so many factors, so many styles...the key!! -> put in the miles. The more miles, the better you get!...simple. The only person to beat is yourself...make sure you have a heart monitor and a simple cateye that can keep atleast cadence. That is all you need and you just keep pushing.

One thing I always forget...recovery rides and days off. The older you are, the more you need. I myself find it tough as I always want to push myself and find recovery rides boring and than there is good old pride which gets in the way. With my setup .. I always get someone wanting to challenge me. This is why I took an old trek singletrack, got it running and use it for days off...no one bothers me anymore and they get ****** when I pass them.

Do not get me wrong I love a good challenge but with no recovery you just get more and more tired and your knees ache and you get frustrated.

I want to do that Pacific Coast ride next year...how is it? Do you go through well populated areas? How hilly? I am sure very pretty though...

-john sirabella

Alot of the hardcore riders believe you should almost never have a day off the bike or trainer. A recovery ride would be about 1/3 or 1/2 the number of miles you usually put in, at a low very easy spinning gear or if you want to get technical at about 70% or your max heart rate. You can keep a nice easy conversation while riding.

If you got the bucks, a nice sports massage is a great recovery from a long ride. In addition I find epsom salts baths to really do the trick after a long ride. Having your bike fitted properly by some one who knows what they are doing can save your knees and muscles hours of discomfort. Stretching, stretching makes a huge difference also.

I am 41 now so I actaully take one day off and have another recovery ride day. I also enjoy bodybuilding and use the spinners in the gym so I am definitely not as hardcore where cyclists pretty much only cycle and putting on mass or upper body muscles is forbidden. cardio, cardio, cardio...

I really can not wait for the ride now along the PCBR. What time of the year did you do it? I know alot of guys who love night rides...I am personally a morning rider myself. I like it because less people and less traffic. Night rides can be more fun because the winds are really calm.

-john sirabella

Velotour said:
I know. There are so many different kinds of hills, and then you have weather conditions. A certain hill when you have a stiff following wind is a very different challenge in a side wind or a strong head wind. Then you have hills that come in fairly evenly spaced bunches and are about the same height. You just keep gearing basically the same over them all. There are hills that slope up gradually to a certain point where the up-slope suddenly increases dramatically. I did about 130 miles one day over a long series of sloping hills because there was a strong storm in back of me with straight-line winds going exactly my way. I stayed in my highest gear almost all the time and was completely unable to feel any torque through the crank arms and pedals for much of the ride. It was like riding a moped except that the engine was the wind. Those same sloping hills in a head wind would have been a completely and totally different story.

I try NOT to stand up at all going up hills. I read that if you must stand going up hills the bike may be the wrong size for you. I have stood going up hills but I have not found it to be particularly advantageous. I remain seated and concentrate on relaxed functioning and try my best to keep the leg muscles relaxed.

The Pacific Coast Bicycle Route was really fantastic. I loved it. Of course I had moments of frustration and anger too, but all in all it was great. Going from north to south puts a lot of wind at your back and you can really feel the difference on those coastal hills. The scenery is unsurpassed anywhere on the globe that I know of. The air off the pacific is fresh, clean, and loaded with oxygen. The route is very hilly. It is a good workout. I loved it.

It does go through some areas of dense populations such as San Francisco, LA, and San Diego, but that is okay. They are good places to rent a room in a hostel, rest, and see the cities. In San Frencisco I went to Fishermens' Wharf, took a trolley ride, and then crossd the bay to Berkley to visit around the campus at the UCB and Telegraph Avenue. In San Diego I took a trolley to Tiajuana in Mexico. Of course there are many towns and cities along the way. Some are very small and others are medium sized. At LA I stayed in a hostel on Venice Beach. That place was different.

If I had to recommend one route among them all as the best one to take in the USA I would recommend the PCBR, but not necessarily for everyone and not necessarily for the beginner. It is a tough route. It is not a pushover. There are hiker / biker sections in state campgrounds and they are cheap and many have showers. I say do it. If you get the chance do it. It is the best, but it is tough and it is no bed of roses.

I too have moments when I am up or down. For some odd reason during the day when I cycle the most I feel either medium or somewhat down. Then when dusk approaches I start feeling ultra energised. Some mornimgs I feel energised, then somewhat down in the afternoon, and then back up again near night fall. It may be due to my eating habits. I notice that if I eat a good breakfast and wait an hour-and-a-half or two hours before cycling I can feel the energy in the muscles, but if I just get up and eat and go right away I cannot feel the energy. I have found it helpful in the mornings when I first get going to cycle about ten or fifteen minutes and then to stop even if for only five minutes for rest. It seems to give a sort of second wind and the muscles function more efficiently after that than they would have if I had just kept going solid. My mileage also goes up dramatically after a few days of rest. The muscles need that rest. I read in a book on physical fitness that muscles get stronger not while you are exercising, but during the rest periods between the workouts. Maybe that explains why my highest mileage days came after a few days layover in a motel, with all other variables being about equal that is.

Perhaps you could give me some more information on exactly what recovery riding is and what you do to recover after a long day's ride or any kind of ride for that matter.

geoffs said:
Your pace will slow but you should be maintaining the same cadence unless the hill is so steep that you are unable to maintain your cadence in the lowest gear. This is what is referred to when "grinding" up the hill. When you are able to maintain your cadence in a gear it's called "staying on top of the gear".

Try to change before they burn :eek:)
I find this very difficult to achieve with my present condition. I already have a triple chainring and some of the hills in the city just kills. It's a case where the lowest gear would give me a burning thigh while there's not enough resistance to stand on. Moving to 2-3 gear ratios higher, the distance up to the top of the hill is just a bit too much to grind all the way up.

I know one way is to improve the engine, but interested in additional advice.

sogood said:
I find this very difficult to achieve with my present condition. I already have a triple chainring and some of the hills in the city just kills. It's a case where the lowest gear would give me a burning thigh while there's not enough resistance to stand on. Moving to 2-3 gear ratios higher, the distance up to the top of the hill is just a bit too much to grind all the way up.

I know one way is to improve the engine, but interested in additional advice.
You need to change gears as you alternate sitting and standing. I find it's 2-3 gears difference on my 12-25 cassette.

artemidorus said:
You need to change gears as you alternate sitting and standing. I find it's 2-3 gears difference on my 12-25 cassette.
That makes sense. I'll try to tackle that hill tomorrow with this strategy. I note that there are times when the legs are already burning so badly while in the saddle that I couldn't even stand. Under this arrangement, I guess the idea is to change position before the legs get saturated and alternate repeatedly. :)

Thanks for the information on recovery riding. Maybe not doing that that is one of my problems. I know my mileage on tour goes up after a few days of rest in a motel. Then after a few days it sort of levels off again. I am getting plenty of good massages and stretching where I am now because I get it inexpensively---$3.75 for a thirty minute rub down and massage and $1.25 for thirty minutes of spinal traction. It is all good quality too. I also do my own sport stretching, especially on tour when I do that every day morning and night before sleeping.

I have spent plenty of time weight lifting before rides. I worked out six hours a week for eight months before one long distance tour. I never felt better. Massages and epsom salt baths are too costly for me on tour in the USA though something like that is feasible in China. The sports stretching is what keeps me going on tour.

If you are going to do the pacific coast, in my opinion you have made the best choice. That's the way I see it anyway. I did the coast in August and September. The weather was absolutely perfect and the scenery was great.
At 41 you should not have any big problem with the route. Just be advised that it is very very hilly. The steepest, longest, highest hill seems to be at the city of Leggett. It consists in a long series of switchbacks. By the time you get there you should be ready for it. It is more like a long wait to get to the top. After that you will have a nice long downhill spin to near sea level, but do not get too elated because soon after that you will have more hills and steep ones too. That's the PCBR for you. If you are not going up you are going down, and there are some relatively level stretches along the way.

I wish I could do it again this next time but the times I will be able to go do not match good conditions on the PC. I understand there are severe weather conditions on that coast in winter. Right now it looks like February and March are my best getaway times, and after that it is back working again. I may end up doing the southern tier again. I have done it four times all ready. It is not as though I am a stranger to the conditions there.

There is a good book on the PCBR. Google --Bicycling the pacific coast-- and see what it comes up with. There may be one by Donna Ikenberry and another by Kirkendahl (spelling?).

jsirabella said:
Alot of the hardcore riders believe you should almost never have a day off the bike or trainer. A recovery ride would be about 1/3 or 1/2 the number of miles you usually put in, at a low very easy spinning gear or if you want to get technical at about 70% or your max heart rate. You can keep a nice easy conversation while riding.

If you got the bucks, a nice sports massage is a great recovery from a long ride. In addition I find epsom salts baths to really do the trick after a long ride. Having your bike fitted properly by some one who knows what they are doing can save your knees and muscles hours of discomfort. Stretching, stretching makes a huge difference also.

I am 41 now so I actaully take one day off and have another recovery ride day. I also enjoy bodybuilding and use the spinners in the gym so I am definitely not as hardcore where cyclists pretty much only cycle and putting on mass or upper body muscles is forbidden. cardio, cardio, cardio...

I really can not wait for the ride now along the PCBR. What time of the year did you do it? I know alot of guys who love night rides...I am personally a morning rider myself. I like it because less people and less traffic. Night rides can be more fun because the winds are really calm.

-john sirabella

I know where you are coming from as I was never really a hardcore spinner. Meaning I do not like going into a low gear and just burn through the hill. This strategy is not always the best depending on the hill and the rider. If you do weight lifting and have larger legs, you may find staying in a higher gear works better for you.

You may not get the cadence but because of your strength you can still get a good speed. (Also one hell of a work out!) The drawback I have found with this strategy is once you get over the hill, the spinners will usually speed up and zoom bye you since there heart rate has been maintained during the spinning in a lower gear but I also notice they sometimes switch into too low a spinning gear on the approach of a hill and can get blown out of the water by the style I use. Also lets not forget the punishment on the knees!!

In the end, find your own style!! While Lance may have made spinning famous, that is for his body and age. Everyone is different and should use a style that suits them best which can only be found through trial and error.

-john sirabella

sogood said:
That makes sense. I'll try to tackle that hill tomorrow with this strategy. I note that there are times when the legs are already burning so badly while in the saddle that I couldn't even stand. Under this arrangement, I guess the idea is to change position before the legs get saturated and alternate repeatedly. :)

jsirabella said:
Also lets not forget the punishment on the knees!!
Mashing puts much higher loading through the joint surfaces of the knee than does spinning. If you want to look after your knees, get the cadence over 90.

Many people may think that if pedaling up hill is strained or painful they need to go to a lower gear, but that is not necessarily what they actually need to do. Sometimes, instead of just going to a lower gear the right thing to do is find the "correct" ear. The correct gear, the comfortable gear may be a higher gear. Try it some time for those of you who do not know, and see how it works. I have often found that I needed a higher gear for pedaling comfort.

Velotour said:
Many people may think that if pedaling up hill is strained or painful they need to go to a lower gear, but that is not necessarily what they actually need to do. Sometimes, instead of just going to a lower gear the right thing to do is find the "correct" ear. The correct gear, the comfortable gear may be a higher gear. Try it some time for those of you who do not know, and see how it works. I have often found that I needed a higher gear for pedaling comfort.
The literature, based admittedly on athletes, shows clearly that efficiency and muscle fatigue resistance are highest with cadence 90-110.
Anecdotally, and certainly in my own instance, many suffer once the cadence starts to drop much below 90, but of course this can be got around by alternating sitting and standing. If you are trained for mashing, then spinning won't feel better unless you retrain.
For any given power output requirement, lower cadence results in higher joint loading.