How do you compare?

dannomyte

Aug 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
I've been training on a roller trainer since about September now, and just for fun I have been tracking some of the crude data I get out of my HR monitor and bike computuer. It was hard to notice if I was making any progress, so I decided to chart out some of my stats. It certainly has motivated me to keep going as there is definitely some postive trends. I usually try to put on 20km per ride and takes me about 45 minutes... plus or minus a few.

So far;

Max heart reate is coming down to 151
Avg heart rate is down to 129
Calories burned/ km is also trending down and currently at 26.24

Anyone else out there have some numbers to compare?

P.S. I've attached a jpeg of one of my charts

dannomyte said:
So far;

If your calories burned/km is dropping, I think that just means you are going easier, not getting better. Kind of goes in line with everything else dropping. However, it's still an improvement on what would happen to me with that many indoor training rides. I.E. mine would flat line, so it's good you are sticking with it.

For me, I find that going strictly by my HR by itself doesn't give me a clear view of my progress. I guess once you start to train with power- you'll never look back.

dannomyte said:
I've been training on a roller trainer since about September now, and just for fun I have been tracking some of the crude data I get out of my HR monitor and bike computuer. It was hard to notice if I was making any progress, so I decided to chart out some of my stats. It certainly has motivated me to keep going as there is definitely some postive trends. I usually try to put on 20km per ride and takes me about 45 minutes... plus or minus a few.

So far;

Anyone else out there have some numbers to compare?

P.S. I've attached a jpeg of one of my charts
I'm afraid all of this basically means nothing. Your heart rate has been coming down over time. That could be because it has been getting colder, or because you've been training earlier in the day, or because you've been drinking less water, or it could be that you aren't working as hard.

Your heart rate monitor automatically interprets it as working less hard so using fewer calories. This is probably wrong. If it's exactly the same rollers for the same distance in the same time, chances are you're using exactly the same amount of calories as before. If you're doing it faster you are probably using the same or a few more (depending on how linear the load is).

Without a power meter the only way to tell if you're getting fitter is if it feels easier or it takes less time.

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess the reason I feel I have made some progress is that I am also going further and taking less pauses. I realize I didn't share this information earlier, but combined with the improved HR data leads me to believe that I am getting better. You've brought up some interesting points that I will consider in my future analysis of my health. I guess a powermeter would be the best measure.. can't see myself graduating to that kind of technology yet though..

dannomyte said:
I guess a powermeter would be the best measure.. can't see myself graduating to that kind of technology yet though..
Several folks (myself included) have used speed on a trainer as a proxy for power until procuring a powermeter. Since you are on rollers, just make sure that the air pressure is consistent in your tires before starting your workout. As speed increases for a given workout, so will your fitness.

As stated by others, I wouldn't pay too much attention to HR. Other than providing data as to the efficacy of your cooling & hydration strategy it doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Dave

dkrenik said:
Several folks (myself included) have used speed on a trainer as a proxy for power until procuring a powermeter. Since you are on rollers, just make sure that the air pressure is consistent in your tires before starting your workout. As speed increases for a given workout, so will your fitness.

Dave

Interestingly, when I plot out my average speed on a straight line, I can show a slight positive slope. Great suggestion! Granted, my average speed is nothing to right home about yet, but it's getting better...