how do YOU corner???

linck

Dec 31, 2006
I have found that on really sharp turns, my pedal feels like it is going to hit the ground if I pedal through. Do you pedal through or suspend when taking a sharp corner.

Getting Better everday:cool:

linck said:
I have found that on really sharp turns, my pedal feels like it is going to hit the ground if I pedal through. Do you pedal through or suspend when taking a sharp corner.

If you're having to lean the bike over to get round the turn, keep your inside leg up so the pedal won't ground. Having said that I just looked at my own bike and you have to have it at least 40 degrees over to touch the inside pedal down.

Remember also to focus on where you want to go. The bike will go where you look so if you go into a corner too fast don't look at what you might hit - look down the road!

Yep, you want to coast through the really sharp turns with the inside pedal up. Get some race footage of the pros if you can find it and see what they do on sharp turns.

Pedal if you think you won't hit. Don't pedal if you think you will hit.

Hitting the road is not nice. Sometimes you can stay in control while other times you'll crash. So it's not worth pushing the limit unless you are desperate. The other thing to watch out for is the camber of the road. Sometimes the ground is closer to the pedal than you think.

sogood said:
Pedal if you think you won't hit. Don't pedal if you think you will hit.

Hitting the road is not nice. Sometimes you can stay in control while other times you'll crash. So it's not worth pushing the limit unless you are desperate. The other thing to watch out for is the camber of the road. Sometimes the ground is closer to the pedal than you think.
Inside pedal up and rip the sidewalls out.

linck said:

I usually coast through the shaper turns. Ive found on sharp curves its easier to control while coasting through, and you wont risk grounding your inside pedal, but as has been pointed out, youd have to be making a fairly sharp turn for that to happen.

You can pedal through most corners unless you are leaning way far into the turn.

For sketchy corners put your outside pedal down and put weight on it. If you hit sand and your front wheel goes out from under you then your are screwed no matter what. If your rear goes out and your pedal is properly weighted then you have a chance of the tire catching traction after sliding a little and not going down. At least that's what I was told back in the day.

the consequence of grounding the pedal are severe so, if in doubt, keep the inside pedal up but, in reality, most riders don't lean enough to ground the pedal at all.

always keep the inside crank up.

its a good habit to learn/develop , early on.

it does not take too much lean to ground your pedal/cleat/shoe , if
you're riding fast.

On a related cornering hard issue, do people stick their inside knee out motorbike style when keeping that pedal up?

mongrel79 said:
On a related cornering hard issue, do people stick their inside knee out motorbike style when keeping that pedal up?
SInce I ride a sportbike, yes I so, feels more natural and balanced. And I've grond off 7 sets of feelers of the motorcycle.........if your not grinding,your not riding. I've been told by sevreral friends, I'm the only one they know that wears out the sidewalls before the center of the tires.

with motorcycles , the rider will lean , but will try to keep
the bike as upright as possible.

with bicycles , both the rider and bike will lean.

pistole said:
with motorcycles , the rider will lean , but will try to keep
the bike as upright as possible.

with bicycles , both the rider and bike will lean.
You don't ride do you , or at least not sport bikes. During heavy cornering, the fairing will almost touch the ground, and you have to lean the bike heavy, thats what turns the bike, using the curve if the sidewalls. If the bike never leaned, the tread wouldn't round over half the sidewalls. The rider leans to the side of the bike to lower the center of gravity and to help force the bike over....they do not natrually lean, especially in at high speeds. Ride behind a groupe of bikes at a good clip on a twisty road and observe how much they lean, even Goldwings. You wont observe it on Harleys because they don't have cornering clearance to rip a backroad....or power for that matter.

I recently heard that if you keep your inside pedal up with your knee pointed towards the turn and your outside leg straight with your weight on that outside leg, that works best. Further, if you straighten your INSIDE arm, that will help you lean more if you need to. I have been getting more and more confident on some of the sharp, banked turns on my rides and I think I can get pretty low and I don't really think I am coming close with pedal. I also lean back a little to lower my C.O.G. even more and can lean a little more.