How do you cure a high pulse rate when running?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Topdog, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Topdog

    Topdog Guest

    Here's the problem - I positively STINK at running. As soon as I take 3 steps, my pulse rate
    skyrockets! During workouts, I can ride 20mph and stay at 135, swim 500-1000 yds w\ 1:30 100's and
    stay below that, but the moment I try to run, fugedaboudit! 155-160, it stays around there the whole
    time. I can put in a (barely) tolerable time for someone in their 40's, but I can't ever go very
    fast because my pulse rate is already so high at a trot.

    How can I improve this?

    Tags:

  2. topdog <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Here's the problem - I positively STINK at running. As soon as I take 3 steps, my pulse rate
    >skyrockets! During workouts, I can ride 20mph and stay at 135, swim 500-1000 yds w\ 1:30 100's and
    >stay below that, but the moment I try to run, fugedaboudit! 155-160, it stays around there the
    >whole time. I can put in a (barely) tolerable time for someone in their 40's, but I can't ever go
    >very fast because my pulse rate is already so high at a trot.

    What's wrong with 155-160? It's quite common to have a higher pulse running as you don't have a bike
    or water supporting your body weight. I'm 30, I can run a half marathon (couple hours) with an
    average pulse of 178.

    The usual cure is to do more of it. Is your weight high? Again, no assist with running, you carry
    all the weight. 3 steps seems a bit soon, though. I find my HRM often records in the 200s until I
    break a sweat, making the contact better.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com