How do you deal with inconsiderate drivers?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by 886014, Mar 30, 2006.

1. chuckchunder

chuckchunder New Member

this is permitted in WA, but with a condition -

Road Traffic Code 2000
    Reg 122 (4) The rider of a bicycle shall not ride past, or overtake, to the left of a vehicle that is making, or apparently about to make, a left turn, or is signalling a left turn.

as to the the thread topic i'm from the smile and wave brigade. as the last 4-5km of my commute is on a virtually enclosed road system at the Perth Int Airport, i can usually follow errant drivers to their destination. i have done so on more than one occaison and rather than spueing (chundering?) expletives, controlled myself to "why would you think it's ok to do that?" and pointing out the vulnerablility of cyclists and pedestrians to a ton of steel and plastic.

i've been careful to speak calmly and evenly and so far have received measured responses from the drivers - oh, sorry i just didn't think or similar. it probably helps that there are usually many witnesses to the conversaton.

cheers

2. alwaysmiling

alwaysmiling New Member

Hi cyclists

I live in Sydney and ride my bike most days. How do I deal with inconsiderate drivers? Like my friend said to me smile and wave at the driver. If there are kids in the car that might ask can I get a bike like that nice person.

Everytime I smiling and wave at drivers it makes me laugh because drivers don't know how to react to a happy cyclist.

3. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I ride on the lane marker on the right of the turning lane. I'm not so sure that that is legal, but it works. The only problems are if the "turning" car changes its mind, or the car behind is in a real hurry.