How do you deal with it?

-={T}Bone=-

Feb 10, 2005
I am an avid bib wearer! I just love them for road cycling. But, they always chaf my nipples. Sometimes to the point where I have no more skin left. :eek:

I tried band-aids, but, if you ride long and far enough, sweat usually makes them fall off. I now wear a t-shirt under the bibs, but on really hot days, it's too much clothing. I want to be able to unzip my jersey on the long, hard hills and get some fresh air.

What do you do? Has anyone tried sewing something on the straps? Did it work?

Thanks for your comments.

Have you tried bib wiv different material to the shorts, its like the dri-fit material from nike, theres like little holes in them.....thats how mine are and they're fine

-={T}Bone=- said:
I am an avid bib wearer! I just love them for road cycling. But, they always chaf my nipples. Sometimes to the point where I have no more skin left. :eek:

I tried band-aids, but, if you ride long and far enough, sweat usually makes them fall off. I now wear a t-shirt under the bibs, but on really hot days, it's too much clothing. I want to be able to unzip my jersey on the long, hard hills and get some fresh air.

Check out chlorophyle, Craft, Giordana, Descente there are a collection of summer tank tops offered for bibs. They should be slightly tight. Most of these new fabrics will in fact keep you cooler on warm days. You are not alone inthe nipple chaf war. Now feel sorry for all these joggers who get the same issues with Mr. knob...

http://www.descenteboulder.com/index.php?do=products&parentID=1&catID=27&productID=163#

http://www.craft-usa.com/frameset.php?back=108

I think craft makes the best cool fabrics out there.

I'll check them out. Though it would be OK with my new €140 Assos bibs. They are the worst! Can't even wear them anymore. Big waste of money.

-={T}Bone=- said:

I too have this problem on rides over two hours. I have found what works great is to use that white cloth medical bandage tape in a little square. Rip off a pc, stick it to your nipple and ride all day no problem. Doesn't come off with sweat either. Only problem I can think of is if you get too big a pc, it can catch some hairs and you will need to take it off SLOWLY to avoid some pain since it sticks to hair as well as it sticks to your skin. :D

I find talc/baby powder to work for me

-={T}Bone=- said:

big Pete said:
I find talc/baby powder to work for me

If you wear a heart rate monitor, sometimes you can adjust that into a good position to cover your, umm, stuff, and still get a good reading. Maybe I have a weird body, but works for me. Also, I just found better bibs.

andrello said:
Why not wear non-bib shorts?
Well for me, maybe it is my raging pec muscles protruding out so far ;) , but my nips seem to get chafed with just a jersey as well, at least on really long rides.

Do you shave your chest? If so that could be a contributing factor.
wilmar13 said:
Well for me, maybe it is my raging pec muscles protruding out so far ;)
Try doing just incline bench work so it's the upper part of your chest that protrudes.:)

I am a zealous convert to bibs, yet I have not experienced your trouble. I think its a combination of the bib (performance elite- light mesh suspender portion) and my hirsute physique:D .

andrello said:
Do you shave your chest? If so that could be a contributing factor.
Try doing just incline bench work so it's the upper part of your chest that protrudes.:)

Nope, I am even so macho I don't shave my legs. I don't have a very hairy chest, but how would that affect it? Maybe I am just "a little girlie man" (spoken with fake thick austrian accent)? Either way I have the problem when running over an hour at a time as well. Maybe it is just the way my body is shaped (but I have normal size chest muscles)? I'm sure others have the same problem, otherwise the body glide stuff would never exist.

Why not just wear a thin base layer T Shirt such as Underarmorr Heat Gear. I realize that it is a faux pas to wear something under the bibs, but it works great even in colder weather and no one will ever know! Provided you wear a jersey or some other outer layer...

king4wd said:
I am a zealous convert to bibs, yet I have not experienced your trouble. I think its a combination of the bib (performance elite- light mesh suspender portion) and my hirsute physique:D .
Well in order to deal with