How do you deal with near misses?

UncleFred

Oct 4, 2005
Here in the BVI every time you get out on a bike you take your life in your hands.

Drivers tend to be incredibly impatient, hate being stuck behind anyone and will regularly overtake on corners and when there is traffic coming the other way.

Last week I has four very near misses, including an SUV overtaking another SUV on a corner as I was coming the other way, I bailed into a hedge to avoid that one.

Another incident was a guy in a pick up overtaking me and then stopping as soon as he was past me to answer a cell phone call (It's against the law to use your phone when driving, but it's ok to stop on dual lane road and take the call).

Luckily I've only been knocked off twice.

How do you guys handle near misses, I tend to fire up pretty quickly when people try and kill me (intentionally or not) but normally the response I get is the worldwide, sorry didn't see you, or you don't pay to use the roads so get off them.

I read that rather than react you should just leave it go, but my mindset is that if you don't tell people what they have just done then they won't learn.....

Is this me being arrogant? Or am I doing the right thing? What do you do when you have a near miss?

I've had similar experiences, and similar responses. What I've done is to run a very bright LED flasher on my seatpost whenever I'm cycling. In addition, on overcast days I make sure to wear a bright light colored jersey or jacket. I try to stay alert for drivers who may right-hook me or otherwise impede or cut me off. I maintain my bike regularly and inspect for damage or wear.

Ultimately, when your number is up....it is up! You can be sitting in your living room or asleep in your bedroom and have an unwanted and unexpected event. Live life to the fullest and enjoy each and every moment as if it were your last.

Yesterday i was riding along the road in some slow moving traffic on my mountain bike. I was doing about 30 mph on a slight down hill gradient and i guess te traffic wa doing about 20-25 mph. I was passing some cars until one who seen me in his wing mirror decided to squeeze up and force me to bunny hop onto a busy pavement..

he didnt like the idea of waiting in traffic and me passing him by...i had no choice but to moun tthe pavement but almost fell as i clipped the kerb with my front wheel as it was very sudden. I apologised to a few pedestriant but they saw what had happened so it was okay. I was about to aproach the car and noticed there were 5 of them all laughing at he incident.

this is fairly common....you do take you life in your hands every day...

i do have the same flashing led as you folks but visibility WAS the problem here....i deal with it by realising there are a bunch of wankers ni matter where you are...

MountainPro said:
Yesterday i was riding along the road in some slow moving traffic on my mountain bike. I was doing about 30 mph on a slight down hill gradient and i guess te traffic wa doing about 20-25 mph. I was passing some cars until one who seen me in his wing mirror decided to squeeze up and force me to bunny hop onto a busy pavement..

he didnt like the idea of waiting in traffic and me passing him by...i had no choice but to moun tthe pavement but almost fell as i clipped the kerb with my front wheel as it was very sudden. I apologised to a few pedestriant but they saw what had happened so it was okay. I was about to aproach the car and noticed there were 5 of them all laughing at he incident.

this is fairly common....you do take you life in your hands every day...

i do have the same flashing led as you folks but visibility WAS the problem here....i deal with it by realising there are a bunch of wankers ni matter where you are...
When in traffic like that I prefer to overtake the cars from the outside than from between the cars and the curb. I find it safer. I cut the lanes like a motorcycle. Some passengers also get off the car to walk the last bit of their voyage while the driver stays in the car trying to find a parking space. This may be hazardous since they open the doors next to the curb without notice so I just wouldn't risk it.

Nevertheless, when I get near misses, I just swear a little bit to relieve myself from the anger, and go on. It's not worth the effort to teach them cause you may end up in a worse state.

I have to give you credit Mountian Pro. To maintain your composure after that one must have been tough.

MountainPro said:
...I was passing some cars until one who seen me in his wing mirror decided to squeeze up and force me to bunny hop onto a busy pavement...
Over here in Malaysia, nobody looks behind - ever. But it doesn't really matter as, with the brazillion scooters on the road, everybody drives expecting to be passed on the inside. Although traffic can be heavy, the only real problem is left-turning traffic (we drive on the left) making sudden un-indicated turns (nobody indicates) from the middle lane, and cars pulling out from side-roads.
All in all, traffic in Malaysia appears chaotic, but they're all being chaotic together. I've been hit a few times since I came over here, but only one of them was a biggy (a nice T-bone by a taxi who saw me, but decided to power through anyway).
Although near-misses are an every-ride occurance, I actually feel as safe riding here as I do riding in Australia. I tend to be very aware of the traffic around me as lane-markings etc mean absolutely nothing at all. It's just one big happy free-for-all.

ohiobiker said:
I have to give you credit Mountian Pro. To maintain your composure after that one must have been tough.
well, i was pretty ****** off and did take a walk towards the car but there were 5 youths all laughing. So i just gave the finger and cycled on...

EoinC said:
Over here in Malaysia, nobody looks behind - ever. But it doesn't really matter as, with the brazillion scooters on the road, everybody drives expecting to be passed on the inside. Although traffic can be heavy, the only real problem is left-turning traffic (we drive on the left) making sudden un-indicated turns (nobody indicates) from the middle lane, and cars pulling out from side-roads.
All in all, traffic in Malaysia appears chaotic, but they're all being chaotic together. I've been hit a few times since I came over here, but only one of them was a biggy (a nice T-bone by a taxi who saw me, but decided to power through anyway).
Although near-misses are an every-ride occurance, I actually feel as safe riding here as I do riding in Australia. I tend to be very aware of the traffic around me as lane-markings etc mean absolutely nothing at all. It's just one big happy free-for-all.
Sounds like Miami!

We should all ride like EoinC - as though there are no rules of the road, chaos reigns supreme, and drivers are all blind and stupid.

Okay so most drivers are blind and stupid, but that's beside the point.:rolleyes:

Riding this way ensures you're aware of everything that's going on, and can 'predict' the insane manouvres of drivers and take appropriate actions to compensate.

When riding in moving traffic, be a car. Take the whole lane and sit in the middle of it. Make your presence known.

If you're overtaking traffic do it on the outside.

And if you still get into 'trouble' then hammering on car windows goes a long way to scaring the **** out of drivers, and reminds them that you're there.

If they tell you that they didn't see you, suggest an optician.
If they tell you to get off the road 'cause you didn't pay for it, remind them that you pay your taxes, that the amount raised from petrol doesn't cover the costs of repairs, and that you're not the one poisoning the kids.

When they get violent, hit them with your D-Lock. :cool:

Rant over. :D

reminds me of one time i was in Manila...there are traffic cops, lights and road markings. No one takes the blind bit of notice however. As you say, its a free for all with constant honking of car horns. I wouldnt ever cycle on the city roads there...

EoinC said:

I don't even think that is legal to pass like that here. The biker would probably lose the case if there were a collision.

cycling laws are very lax here...i doubt whether the police would know if it was illegal. i dont know for sure myself.

i never bide by the law when cycling anyway...

exharrison said:
I don't even think that is legal to pass like that here. The biker would probably lose the case if there were a collision.

exharrison said:

Take it from the voice of experience ,you just never know.

A new suit for court = $250.00
Deposition costs = $1100.00
Attorneys fees = $3500.00

A sympathetic jury = Priceless

MountainPro said:
cycling laws are very lax here...i doubt whether the police would know if it was illegal. i dont know for sure myself.

i never bide by the law when cycling anyway...
No offense and I certainly hope you don't get seriously injured, but if this is true you are the type of person who makes motorists hate cyclists. People like you are the reason that people who actually obey the laws get run off the road.

Just today morning I was following a pickup truck guy with a cowboy sticker on his read windsheild. This idoit had a huge plank tied to the back sideways!! :eek:
The plank was sticking out about 3 feet on the sides!
I was in my car on my way to work and I was thinking... s$%% I hope he doesn't pass a rider. I wish I could do something about it... :mad:

netscriber said:
Just today morning I was following a pickup truck guy with a cowboy sticker on his read windsheild. This idoit had a huge plank tied to the back sideways!! :eek:
The plank was sticking out about 3 feet on the sides!
I was in my car on my way to work and I was thinking... s$%% I hope he doesn't pass a rider. I wish I could do something about it... :mad:

Also reminds me of a day when a trailer guy passed me and had forgotted to fold the stairs on his trailer and they were sticking out in the side. The ******* missed my by inches! :mad: Thank God!

I've as yet to have a near miss since I bought my trike. Thats not to say that I havent had angry drivers gun by me because they were so tired of waiting for an opening to pass me on a two laner. i guess the physical width of the trike makes most people take notice since I'm not at all trying to stay on the ragged edge of the pavement. I'm also very selective (as I'm sure most of us are) with regards to when and where I ride. But the whole situation is very disheartening since there are many areas that I want to be able to ride to but arent will ing to risk the high traffic areas I would have to cross in oreder to get there.

Virginia is supposed to be building a dedicated bike trail between Richmond and Williamsburg, to be complete in 2007 when I last checked...cant wait for that!