How do you decide which bike to ride?

May 14, 2007
For those folks that have two bikes, a road and a tri/TT bike. When you ride which? How you decide to put time on each?

I am taking delivery of my new Tri/TT bike tomorrow. I love my road bike but suspect that I will be giving the new kid a bit of time. Don't want either to feel neglected.

So what do you do?

I've got 3 bikes I ride regularly -
1/Race days only,
2/ training bike
3/ SingleSpeed training bike with mudguards.

As its winter here and I'm sensing(!) that the SS is doing good things for my training its the only 'training' bike I use. I built it up about 3 months ago and have only used my regular training bike once in that time.
Race bike gets used every weekend - its the race season here in New Zealand(stupidly through the winter!).

I'm sure your situation will level out and you'll enjoy them both for different reasons:)

My road IS my TT/tri bike... I've got aero bars that mount off the norm. bars if I want them. I tend to not use the aero bars for training since I recently found out how bad a a sunburn you can get from using them for 7 hours and I find it more comfortable to be able to use the top of the drop bars if I want.

9202 said:
For those folks that have two bikes, a road and a tri/TT bike. When you ride which? How you decide to put time on each?

I am taking delivery of my new Tri/TT bike tomorrow. I love my road bike but suspect that I will be giving the new kid a bit of time. Don't want either to feel neglected.

So what do you do?
Regularly ride the TT bike for intervals/rides that most closely resemble the racing you will do. That way you will adapt to be as powerful in a TT position as you are on the road bike.

So if you are doing ironman, then ride the TT bike on long rides. If doing TTs, then ride the TT bike when doing L4/FTP or time trial type intervals. If doing short TTs/pursuits, then ride the TT/pursuit bike when doing VO2 Max type intervals.

9202 said:

So what do you do?
So what's your reason for buying a TT/Tri bike? The decision as to which bike to ride typically follows.

And if you don't know why you bought a TT bike, then we have a problem. :eek:

sogood said:
So what's your reason for buying a TT/Tri bike? The decision as to which bike to ride typically follows.

And if you don't know why you bought a TT bike, then we have a problem. :eek:
Bought the TT bike because I have been doing TT Races. Love time trialing and can't wait for each weekend race. BUT, also love my road bike and can't wait to get out everyday after work.

That is one of the problems, would love to skip work and ride all the time. :)
Maybe I need a large inheritance so I can give up work. :D