How do you discard used gel wrappers?

lfof2

Aug 2, 2004
The other day my wife made a comment about how inconvenient the gel flask I just bought looked. Then after I told her I normally toss the wrappers on the spot, she was in shock that I would actually litter. I don't blame her. I tried to hold on to them in the past but they always ended up being a sticky mess.

lfof2 said:
The other day my wife made a comment about how inconvenient the gel flask I just bought looked. Then after I told her I normally toss the wrappers on the spot, she was in shock that I would actually litter. I don't blame her. I tried to hold on to them in the past but they always ended up being a sticky mess.

I can't believe that you would just litter. I have never had a problem with sticky messes by placing them back in my jersey pocket and throwing them away back at home. Just make sure you get all the gel out before putting the wrapper back in your jersey.

lfof2 said:
I get ****** when I see gel wrappers left by lazy littering riders. Bring an empty zip-loc bag with you and put your sticky wrappers in the bag, it will keep your jersey and our roads clean, or get a flask and use it.

I have found that I can stick my gel wrappers inbetween the brake cable and the frame so it dont make stickies in my pockets. They stay there quite nicely and its easy to clean up.

babybirdie said:
I have found that I can stick my gel wrappers inbetween the brake cable and the frame so it dont make stickies in my pockets. They stay there quite nicely and its easy to clean up.
I a middle of a race? I don't know, I prefer return it to the jersey too

Tear open with your teeth and spit out the top portion of the wrapper. Suck back as much gel as you require then just toss the POS out. Why do you want that sticky shite in your pockets or all over your frame?

Get a Bento Box (tm). Works well with flasks too.

I get my Hammer Gel in bulk at ~$15 per bottle. Its half as expensive as the pouches and with Bento Box, its far easier than ripping packets open. No mess, variable dosing.

During the race I throw it away, but during training I store it and trash it at home.

Never had a problem to keep the wrapper, since I squeeze them till their definitely dead :D. This way I use them efficiently and avoid the mess, too.

Who out there is trying so hard to keep the interior of their jersey pockets clean during a ride? Is it not going to need a wash, or at least a sink rinse after a use? What kind of kiddydisney rides are you guys on?

Glowingrod said:
Who out there is trying so hard to keep the interior of their jersey pockets clean during a ride? Is it not going to need a wash, or at least a sink rinse after a use? What kind of kiddydisney rides are you guys on?
And remnant of gel is probably very small! I don`t undestand that too..

Virenque said:
And remnant of gel is probably very small! I don`t undestand that too..
Put the sticky wrapper in your jersey and then when you finish your ride take your jersey off, turn it inside out and then stick the jersey in your mouth! It's very important to replendish your energy after a ride!!!!

chipman said:
Put the sticky wrapper in your jersey and then when you finish your ride take your jersey off, turn it inside out and then stick the jersey in your mouth! It's very important to replendish your energy after a ride!!!!

Mmmmm, salty!

I put mine back in a jersey pocket (seperate from everything else) and toss them when I find a trash can. I used to ride with a few folks that just tossed them on the spot (flat tubes and mangled chain links too), but I got tired of carrying other peoples trash and found some new riding partners.

ewitz said:
Tear open with your teeth and spit out the top portion of the wrapper. Suck back as much gel as you require then just toss the POS out. Why do you want that sticky shite in your pockets or all over your frame?
I'll put you in the same category as all the dipsh!t smokers that think that it's not littering when they toss their butts out their window. If you want to live like a pig, do it in your own house.;)

bmph8ter said:
I put mine back in a jersey pocket (seperate from everything else) ...

Good point, once I mix a not used wrapper with my riding glasses and they got scratches all over one lense ... at the end of the ride I put two things at the trash can :(

OCRoadie said:
I'll put you in the same category as all the dipsh!t smokers that think that it's not littering when they toss their butts out their window.

That has got to be my all time biggest pet peeve.

Once I was waiting at a stoplight when this guy flicks his butt out the window and lands right at my feet in front of me. I rolled up to him and polity yet sarcastically said, "you accidentally dropped your cigarette." He replied, "No I am done with it." I then went off on him saying, "No you dropped it because I know you wouldn't litter. Or do you think that it is socially acceptable to throw trash on the ground? Why don't you throw your Coke can out there too?" I picked up his butt and threw it back in his car and that was with me holding back a ton. I wanted to punch his lights out after his comment.

jitteringjr said:
That has got to be my all time biggest pet peeve.

Once I was waiting at a stoplight when this guy flicks his butt out the window and lands right at my feet in front of me. I rolled up to him and polity yet sarcastically said, "you accidentally dropped your cigarette." He replied, "No I am done with it." I then went off on him saying, "No you dropped it because I know you wouldn't litter. Or do you think that it is socially acceptable to throw trash on the ground? Why don't you throw your Coke can out there too?" I picked up his butt and threw it back in his car and that was with me holding back a ton. I wanted to punch his lights out after his comment.
Nice Work!:)