How do you drink your tea?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dee, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. guy klose

    guy klose Guest

    I drink tea plain...

    Lately, however, my wife and I have been getting into loose/bulk tea. It's been
    a fun process, so far, of discovering new and exciting tea (and so, everything we've
    tried has been far superior to the teabags we'd been using).

    We started with Ahmed Ceylon (black) tea (BOP) that a neighbor recommended. We found
    some loose tea (OP) at a local store which was good, and I found some Twinings loose
    tea at a health food store: Irish Breakfast, Darjeerling and Orange Pekoe. Bought
    some "Chinese Gunpowder" green tea at a middle eastern store. That's nice, but I'd
    like to try something similar without the hint of smokiness to it.

    Now, I'm leaning towards ordering some tea online. I've got a stack of catalogs to
    sift through before deciding on an order.

    Any pointers to great online sites would be appreciated. So far, I have catalogs from
    www.marktwendell.com
    www.uptontea.com
    www.stashtea.com

    also,
    www.tealuxe.com
    topqualitea.com
    republicoftea.com
    virtuousteas.com
    teasource.com

  2. dee

    dee Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > http://www.kajikitscorner.com

    Lol... How does one clean cat's hair off the duvet cover? (Tea
    unrelated)

  3. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?

    Regular tea, strong, black.

    Sometimes I'll make a pot and add a cardamom pod or two, broken open. Still
    drink it black.

    I loathe milk or cream in either tea or coffee.

    Gabby

  4. dee

    dee Guest

    -L. wrote:
    > dee wrote:
    > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > weird stuff with it?

    > Strong. Black or green. Or Chai (black).
    >
    > -L.
    > (boring, too)

    Have you tried Iron Lady? We used to drink it right after heavy meals,
    in small quantity - we have this myth that it will help digestion!

  5. On Wed 01 Feb 2006 12:31:35p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make?

    I only drink it strong and iced, either black tea with lemon or Earl Grey
    plain. I rarely drink hot tea or coffee. Iced tea is my primary beverage.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > Earl Gray's hot, with 1 packet of Splenda and at least 2 tbs. of heavy
    > > cream.
    > >

    > E. G. has always had a weird taste to me -- wonder why? I do drink the
    > herbal stuff at night (caffeine keeps me up), but I'm partial to
    > Twining's English Breakfast with milk and sugar. No lemon, thanks.
    > Used to drink Assam, but I can't find it anymore...
    >
    > --
    > Karen MacInerney

    Earl gray is treated with Bergamot.
    It's a flower essence.

    Might not agree with your tastebuds, but I find the fragrant taste
    delightful. :)
    --
    Om.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > >> Hot: Irish or English Breakfast, milk and splenda.

    > > Bigelow or Twinings..... :)

    > Twinings :)

    I use both now, but I've found recently when making ice tea at work that
    Bigelow brews up clearer and with less residue on the brewing container.
    Funny, too, I've used Twinings for years! I bought some Bigelow on a
    whim when there was no Twinings at the store.
    --
    Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > > http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > >

    > Lol... How does one clean cat's hair off the duvet cover? (Tea
    > unrelated)

    Masking tape....... or a fur roller!
    --
    Om.

  9. dee

    dee Guest

    Gabby wrote:
    > "dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1138822295.9[email protected]
    > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > weird stuff with it?
    > >
    > > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?

    > Regular tea, strong, black.
    >
    > Sometimes I'll make a pot and add a cardamom pod or two, broken open. Still
    > drink it black.
    >
    > I loathe milk or cream in either tea or coffee.
    >
    > Gabby

    My dad sometimes use dried small crysanthumum (sp?) with tea.

  10. "dee" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any
    > particular differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or
    > some other weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?

    Black, no sugar. I buy loose barooti tea from a local Persian market,
    Gulabi brand. Dirt cheap but good and I make it in a small glass
    teapot with a removeable filter. I drink a small pot in a day, cold or
    hot, don't matter to me none.

    My daughter prefers loose Alwazah brand F.B.O.P. number 1 Ceylon tea
    and I'm sure she drinks it with milk and sugar.

    My wife likes only upscale loose teas from Murchie's in Victoria,
    Ceylon Kenilworth mostly. With milk, no sugar.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  11. dee

    dee Guest

    limey wrote:
    > "dee" wrote in message > Hello! How do you like your tea made? Do you
    > enjoy any particular
    > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > weird stuff with it?

    > I like Twining's Earl Grey, made with *boiling* water and brewed for about 3
    > minutes, with milk and 1 Splenda. Or, Red Rose teabags made the same way.
    > Sometimes in a pot, sometimes in the cup
    > but the water always has to be boiling. Don't mess with my tea.....
    >
    > Dora

    I must admit, I also like it hot (or very cold). Any one like warm tea?

  12. serene

    serene Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 11:31:35 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    >differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    >weird stuff with it?

    I have a few favorites. For the black tea, it depends on what I
    have, but it's often oolong, darjeeling, or just plain pekoe:

    1) Black tea and mint, half and half, hot and sweetened with sugar
    (reminds me of my trip to Tangiers)

    2) Iced tea, made freshly with either black or black with mint,
    either unsweetened or with sugar.

    3) Black tea, with whole milk and sugar (this one is my childhood)

    I am a bad hippychick -- I hate most herbal teas.

    serene

  13. dee wrote:
    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    >
    > --------------
    >
    > I like the most common one, just good old red label with milk (whole or
    > semi-skimmed), medium strong, 1 sugar, hot temp.
    >
    > Just now, I had it with single cream, it tasted quite nice.
    >
    > I also like mocha (hot temp with whipped cream) in cafe, as I like
    > someone make it for me...

    I like "real" tea with milk and maybe a little sugar (I like my coffee
    sweeter and lighter, though). I drink herbal tea plain or with honey. I
    have a ton of tea right now, so I've been drinking that, but I prefer
    coffee in the morning.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  14. serene

    serene Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 12:04:28 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    >> Earl Gray's hot, with 1 packet of Splenda and at least 2 tbs. of heavy
    >> cream.
    >>

    >E. G. has always had a weird taste to me -- wonder why?

    I don't like it because it tastes like I'm drinking cologne.

    For the same reason, I have to be really in the mood for jasmine tea.

    serene

  15. Karen MacInerney wrote:
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >

    >>Earl Gray's hot, with 1 packet of Splenda and at least 2 tbs. of heavy
    >>cream.
    >>

    > E. G. has always had a weird taste to me -- wonder why? I do drink the
    > herbal stuff at night (caffeine keeps me up), but I'm partial to
    > Twining's English Breakfast with milk and sugar. No lemon, thanks.
    > Used to drink Assam, but I can't find it anymore...
    >
    > --
    > Karen MacInerney
    > Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    > www.karenmacinerney.com

    I like Earl Grey and English breakfast alot, but I'll drink most any
    tea, as long as it is not *too* bitter.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  16. serene

    serene Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 12:31:48 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >limey wrote:
    >> "dee" wrote in message > Hello! How do you like your tea made? Do you
    >> enjoy any particular
    >> > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    >> > weird stuff with it?

    >> I like Twining's Earl Grey, made with *boiling* water and brewed for about 3
    >> minutes, with milk and 1 Splenda. Or, Red Rose teabags made the same way.
    >> Sometimes in a pot, sometimes in the cup
    >> but the water always has to be boiling. Don't mess with my tea.....
    >>
    >> Dora

    >I must admit, I also like it hot (or very cold). Any one like warm tea?

    Yep, especially with milk and sugar.

    serene

  17. dee wrote:
    > dee wrote:
    >
    >>Goomba38 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Good old southern "sweetea".. iced andsweetened with Splenda and served
    >>>with lemon slices. Made with Luzianne or Tetley tea. Sometimes decaf,
    >>>sometimes high octane, all depending on the time of day of that batch.
    >>>We go through at least two batches (about 1.5 quarts each) a day.
    >>>
    >>>Hot: Irish or English Breakfast, milk and splenda.

    >>What does high octane refers to? I've only heard it used with pianos
    >>:D. Thanks.

    > Sorry, got it mixed up with octave.

    no, octave is the musical term. "high octane" actually refers to
    gasoline, but I've heard it in reference to caffienated beverages before.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  18. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    dee wrote:

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?

    Ordinary tea ("regular tea" in some places, "black tea" usually in
    Minneapolis). Hot. With ginger and aspartame.

    --
    Dan Goodman
    All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

  19. dee

    dee Guest

    Dan Goodman wrote:
    > dee wrote:
    >
    > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > weird stuff with it?
    > >

    > Ordinary tea ("regular tea" in some places, "black tea" usually in
    > Minneapolis). Hot. With ginger and aspartame.

    Ginger - is it fresh slices? That's a great suggestion, thanks.

  20. dee

    dee Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > > > Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    > > > http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > > >

    > > Lol... How does one clean cat's hair off the duvet cover? (Tea
    > > unrelated)
    > >

    > Masking tape....... or a fur roller!

    Thanks!