How do you drink your tea?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dee, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > dee wrote:
    > > dee wrote:

    served

    > >>What does high octane refers to? I've only heard it used with pianos
    > >>:D. Thanks.

    > > Sorry, got it mixed up with octave.
    > >

    > no, octave is the musical term. "high octane" actually refers to
    > gasoline, but I've heard it in reference to caffienated beverages before.

    But think about it, Saerah...if it was high octane enough, couldn't it
    possibly allow someone to reach a higher octave?

    Lisa Ann

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Earl gray is treated with Bergamot.
    > It's a flower essence.
    >
    > Might not agree with your tastebuds, but I find the fragrant taste
    > delightful. :)

    Eh, not me. First time I drank E.G. I thought that the cup hadn't been
    rinsed properly after washing! It smelled to me like a local brand of
    dish washing liquid ;) and I just don't like the taste.

    I get a local brand called Five Roses for hot tea - drink it with lots
    of milk and sugar. Iced tea with sugar and lemon is great on a hot day too.

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Karen MacInerney <[email protected]> wrote:

    > E. G. has always had a weird taste to me -- wonder why?

    I once posted that Earl Grey reminded me of some unwashed whore's
    perfumed tipple (nipple... whatever...).

    > Used to drink Assam, but I can't find it anymore...

    Where do you live, then? In Europe, Assam teas seem to be available
    most everywhere. I like Assam, though its maltiness sometimes reminds
    me of heated ski wax...

    BTW, some people in this thread seem to be under the illusion that
    Orange Pekoe is a type of tea. It is just a *grade* of black tea, any
    black tea, the leaves being whole and of relatively high quality.

    To answer the original poster's question, it all depends. I do drink
    green teas, mostly in Chinese restaurants, often requesting green Pu Erh
    with dim sum, for example, and I also like a good Formosa Oolong (a
    "red" tea) a lot. Generally, though, I prefer black teas. I like a
    high grade Darjeeling from a good plantation, ditto Assam, Ceylon, and
    Yunnan teas - all brewed traditionally and drunk with no additions at
    all. On the other hand, I also like black tea with lemon and sugar, in
    which case I use tea bags of some semi-reputable brand such as Whittard
    of Chelsea (with whole leaves, not tea dust as is usual in tea bags),
    Ronnefeldt ("teavelopes" with aroma seal), or even Jacksons of
    Piccadilly or Twinings, as using a higher grade tea would be a waste.

    Victor

  4. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My latest tea experiment was with Lapsang Souchong. Thinking it would

    just
    > be strong the way I like it, I made a 6 cup pot. The smell reminded me of
    > walking on the railroad tracks (creosoted railway ties). Then I tasted

    it.
    > Brought back memories of my dad's habit of making a pot of tea before

    supper
    > and letting it brew (not steep) on the stove until we'd all eaten. Not

    tea
    > anymore but I always had ink for my fountain pen. ;o)

    LOL - someone told me once that they thought Lapsang Souchong tasted like
    tarred jock strap.

    I never did figure out how he knew that...I was afraid to ask.

    Lisa Ann

  5. modom

    modom Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 11:39:42 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>How do you drink your tea?

    > In a glass! (thought i'd go ahead and get that out of the way...
    >surely you knew it was coming dee).
    >
    > I drink mine with tons o' ice, the occasional lemon slice, no sugar,
    >milk, or any other weird stuffs. Kev

    Around here you specify iced tea, unsweetened.

    modom

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    dee wrote:
    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    >
    > --------------
    >
    > I like the most common one, just good old red label with milk (whole or
    > semi-skimmed), medium strong, 1 sugar, hot temp.
    >
    > Just now, I had it with single cream, it tasted quite nice.
    >
    > I also like mocha (hot temp with whipped cream) in cafe, as I like
    > someone make it for me...

    I keep a lot of teas at my desk along with my little electric kettle (and the
    coffee with the little french press). My favorite during the day is very
    strong loose leaf Earl Grey plain, followed by Tazo green ginger or lemon
    mate.

    Sometimes at night I'll make up a cup of loose leaf assam with lots of milk
    and sugar as a treat.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  7. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I never could understand what the point of having coffee that hot is!
    > It's just stupid.

    It is so that it is not tepid by the time that carryout bag makes it all
    the way to your place of work.

  8. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    dee wrote:

    > Dan Goodman wrote:
    > > dee wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any
    > > > particular differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have
    > > > milk/sugar/or some other weird stuff with it?
    > > >

    > > Ordinary tea ("regular tea" in some places, "black tea" usually in
    > > Minneapolis). Hot. With ginger and aspartame.
    > >

    > Ginger - is it fresh slices? That's a great suggestion, thanks.

    Welcome.

    What I use is powdered. Fresh slices would probably be better, but
    before I sliced it I would probably need a cup of tea....

    --
    Dan Goodman
    All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

  9. dee

    dee Guest

    Dan Goodman wrote:
    > What I use is powdered. Fresh slices would probably be better, but
    > before I sliced it I would probably need a cup of tea....

    Lol! cheers.

  10. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?

    I am not much of a tea drinker for some reason, although when I do drink
    tea, I prefer it fairly strong with a bit of Equal or Splenda and a
    squeeze or two of lemon juice; no cream.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > dee wrote:
    > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > weird stuff with it?
    > >
    > > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    > >

    > I occasionally drink tea blends - Bigelow makes a few like Lemon Lift and
    > Spearmint (which makes a nice iced tea!), Raspberry and Chamomile. I take
    > my tea with a splash of milk and sometimes a bit of honey.
    >
    > I don't drink coffee these days unless I have to be awake for something
    > *early*.
    >
    > But I have to tell you, yesterday I had my first ever cup of hot coffee from
    > McDonald's. I was early to go take my insurance licensing exam so I stopped
    > at McD's for a cup of coffee. I wasn't in a moving vehicle nor did I take
    > the top off the cup. But I can now understand why that poor old woman sued
    > after spilling some of this in her lap! Folks, it's like *lava*. I've
    > never had a cup of coffee that hot anywhere. Took 20 minutes before I could
    > even take a sip without burning my tongue and tears springing to my eyes.
    >
    > Jill

    Add ice..... ;-)

  12. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    >>differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    >>weird stuff with it?
    >>
    >>Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    >>
    >>--------------
    >>
    >>I like the most common one, just good old red label with milk (whole or
    >>semi-skimmed), medium strong, 1 sugar, hot temp.
    >>
    >>Just now, I had it with single cream, it tasted quite nice.
    >>
    >>I also like mocha (hot temp with whipped cream) in cafe, as I like
    >>someone make it for me...
    >>

    >Earl Gray's hot, with 1 packet of Splenda and at least 2 tbs. of heavy
    >cream.
    >
    >Or,
    >
    >Earl Gray's brewed fresh and strong, then poured over ice to make fresh
    >brewed iced tea!
    >
    >I'll drink that either sweetened or unsweetened, depending on the mood I
    >am in.

    Cream in Earl Grey!!! Strewth, there's no disputing taste....

    Christine

  13. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    kalanamak wrote:
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >

    >> I never could understand what the point of having coffee that hot is!
    >> It's just stupid.

    > It is so that it is not tepid by the time that carryout bag makes it
    > all the way to your place of work.

    Let's put it this way, if I bought coffee 20 minutes away from work I'd
    expect it to be tepid by the time I got there (if it wasn't in a thermal
    travel mug). I bought the coffee and sat around for about 10 minutes. Then
    I drover over, took my exam; that took about an hour. Had to leave the
    coffee in the McD's to-go cup in the waiting room. It was *still warm* when
    I was done with my exam. This tells me the McD's coffee was waaaaay too
    hot!

    At any rate, I like tea and had a tiny "tea for two" pot in my office. It
    was nice to be able to brew a small pot of tea at my desk and drink it out
    of one of my grandmothers bone china tea cups. I added about a Tbs. of half
    & half which was provided for the coffee crowd and I stashed a bottle of
    honey in my desk to sweeten it.

    Jill

  14. -L.

    -L. Guest

    dee wrote:
    > -L. wrote:
    > > dee wrote:
    > > > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > > > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > > > weird stuff with it?

    > > Strong. Black or green. Or Chai (black).
    > >
    > > -L.
    > > (boring, too)

    > Have you tried Iron Lady? We used to drink it right after heavy meals,
    > in small quantity - we have this myth that it will help digestion!

    No, never heard of it...?

    -L.

  15. I love iced tea with some lemon, it's what I usually get when I eat
    out. I hate sweet tea (southern) or sweetener in my iced tea. Bleah.
    My husband started brewing hot tea a few years ago and I'm really
    getting into that. His favorite is anxi benshong tea, a type of oolong,
    and it's extremely tasty. We don't put anything in our tea.
    This reminds me, I want to try some other oolongs, to kind of mix
    things up a little. Yum.

    Stacia

  16. guy klose <[email protected]> writes:

    >Any pointers to great online sites would be appreciated.

    We love enjoyingtea.com. We've gotten the oolong tea we like there
    (anxi benshong) and a lovely traditional tea set. Their service is
    great. And I promise I am not affiliated with them, we just buy from
    them exclusively.

    Stacia

  17. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I love iced tea with some lemon, it's what I usually get when I eat
    > out. I hate sweet tea (southern) or sweetener in my iced tea. Bleah.
    > My husband started brewing hot tea a few years ago and I'm really
    > getting into that. His favorite is anxi benshong tea, a type of oolong,
    > and it's extremely tasty. We don't put anything in our tea.
    > This reminds me, I want to try some other oolongs, to kind of mix
    > things up a little. Yum.
    >
    > Stacia

    I love oolong tea. I buy them at a Chinese grocery. I also like Dragon's
    Well tea (Chinese - green). It is so very mild; there are different priced
    grades. Use the leaves 3 times over. I was introduced to it in China; it
    and Yunnan (with white tips) tea. Buy the best you can afford of these
    types, and search them out.

    I don't drink anything in my tea. I consider myself a bit of a southerner,
    but don't drink teas with sugar (or milk).
    Right at this moment I'm having some Irish tea (in tea bags) from Trader
    Joe's. It's quite good, sorta like Lipton's but a cut-above.
    Dee Dee

  18. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > guy klose <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>Any pointers to great online sites would be appreciated.

    > We love enjoyingtea.com. We've gotten the oolong tea we like there
    > (anxi benshong) and a lovely traditional tea set. Their service is
    > great. And I promise I am not affiliated with them, we just buy from
    > them exclusively.
    >
    > Stacia

    Thanks for the lovely site.
    Oh, I would love to have one of the Yixing tea pots. So interesting that
    they have so many styles - and that serving tray, beautiful, but excessive
    for my life-style.
    I'll bet one NEVER washes the Yixing pots? as they absorb, probably?
    Wondering how that would affect the taste of different teas brewed in them.
    Dee Dee

  19. On 1 Feb 2006, dee wrote:

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?
    >
    > Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    >
    > --------------

    Cold and sweet

  20. alsandor

    alsandor Guest

    dee a écrit :

    > > Ceylon Kenilworth

    > Ceylon, it was quite a surprise cos' I usually just go for the normal
    > one. When I stayed in this place during a holiday, they had plain
    > Ceylon lemon tea for breakfast, really quite nice.

    I don't put milk in tea because putting milk in hot beverages forces
    you to drink them before the milk starts to turn. I like to stretch
    out my coffee and tea drinking, so I drank black coffee when I drank
    coffee (now I drink a quarter cup of coffee with cream once or twice a
    week as my stomach can't handle it any other way), and I drink black
    tea. In fact, I believe that I never drank tea with either milk or
    sugar in my life. My mother drank black tea when I was a child and
    black tea is what we had at home, or once in a while green tea when she
    bought these wooden boxes of green tea with Japanese written on them.

    I never liked flavoured coffees. Guess that's why I don't like
    flavoured teas. My stepson drinks double bergamot Earl Grey tea from a
    little Korean shop a few blocks away. I can't see the attraction in
    that. If the gods had wanted tea to taste of bergamot, they would have
    made it grow that way ;-)

    I do drink infusions though, like rooibos, twig tea and chamomile but
    even then I insist they be unflavoured. The only flavoured one I quite
    liked was vanilla flavoured rooibos.

    Really, barooti tea meets my needs very nicely. And after a lifetime
    of tasting teas, I have settled on a simple, readily available
    tea...well, as long as the store stays open ;-)