How do you drink your tea?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dee, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > I discovered something similar when I moved from NE OH to AZ. Nasty
    > stuff!
    > I drink iced tea exclusively and use loose tea in an iced tea maker. Not
    > only did it taste awful with the AZ water, but it would immediately turn
    > cloudy when it hit ice or was chilled in the refrigerator. I had never
    > had
    > that happen before moving here. I now use bottled water to make tea,
    > coffee, and ice cubes.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    This might not quite be considered "bottled water," but what I use to make
    tea is 'distilled water.' My electric teapot does not like any minerals.
    And I love my teapot. Fast, fast, fast!
    Dee Dee

  2. Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote in news:t4KdnUzyvOTep3_eRVn-
    [email protected]:

    > alsandor wrote:
    >
    >> I don't put milk in tea because putting milk in hot beverages forces
    >> you to drink them before the milk starts to turn.

    > Turns to what??

    Something I don't want to drink.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  3. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The milk never "turned" or curdled at all.

    It will if you leave it long enough. Besides, it's me who doesn't like
    it. No one is forcing you to not like it too...

    --

  4. Dee Randall wrote:

    > "> I like it straight - no sugar or milk or anything and *especially*
    > > not lemon (blecch!).
    > >
    > > I like it lightly brewed - not long enough to get bitter.
    > >
    > > My fave is Darjeeling. Years ago I used to drink green tea
    > > and oolong but haven't drunk them since I discovered really
    > > good Darjeeling.

    > But! It's so hard to get 'good' Darjeelilng. I've had expensive Darjeeling
    > that tastes no different-ly than inexpensive. I would love to trust buying
    > the 'best' just one time. Lots of $$.
    > Dee Dee

    A friend had a friend who brought her some back from
    Darjeeling and she gave me some of it. He brought her
    a ton of it. It's really awesome.

    Kate

  5. Black tea, English style with milk and sugar... Red Rose seems to come
    the closest to what I remember from my travels, but it's not quite as
    full-bodied as it could be sometimes it seems.

    Fruit herb teas... often with 1/8 cup or so of compatible fruit
    juice/nectar mixed in (..with sugar).

    Moroccan-style mint tea is a favorite of mine --and it's tasted even
    better to me since I learned that *green* tea not black tea is the
    traditional ingredient... no wonder mine never tasted quite right
    before.
    I planted some mint in a corner of the yard (it will spread, but not
    like ivy or anything... could always plant it in a pot too), and do
    what I saw in Morocco which is to stuff as much mint as possible into
    well sugared glass of hot water and allow to steep.

    I like Jasmine tea too, but only one or two brands.
    The taste really does vary from brand to brand, and from restaurant to
    restaurant... not crazy about some of them.
    Jasmine is also the only tea I can drink without sugar. (My brands'
    names are in Chinese, but they come in either bright red or bright
    marigold yellow tins).

    > However, I enjoy his company, so put a creamy cotton-like paper table cloth on the bed. The hair still flies everywhere though, but I am getting used to it. Sometimes I find some in my mouth. eee... :) <

    Dee, you might want to try something cuddlier than a paper tablecloth
    for your bed cat. Though cats love paper, they won't usually stay on
    paper as long as they will on something soft and/or fuzzy. Those
    fleece blankets you see around with various patterns or pictures are
    good, for example (or just a yard of fleece from the fabric store)...
    almost any kind of blanket or quilt, or even a towel. Folding any of
    those also makes them more cushiony.

    Another thing... is this cat a long-hair? If so, you'll be getting a
    lot more shedding. Being scared and being at the high point of a
    shedding cycle can afffect things too.
    Whether it's any of those things or not, combing or brushing will
    remove enough loose hair that the amount dropped will be lessened quite
    a bit (and you'll lower your blood pressure ... and the cat's too <g>).

    > Just how "often" do they stay? <

    Actually, mine have generally stayed quite well. It doesn't matter if
    they go off some though because they still spend a lot of time on the
    cuddlies and leave less hair where I less want it. They do "cycle"
    though, so I eventually change things around.

    Diane B.

  6. nancyjaye

    nancyjaye Guest

    dee wrote:
    > Hello! How do you like your tea make?

    snip -snip

    I like my iced tea sweet with lemon.
    I like my everyday lipton type (regular or decaf) stong with milk and
    sugar.
    And for the past year or so, my favorite herbal tea has been Celestial
    Seasons Tension Tamer with nothing in it.

    Now, my step-moms parents, who were from Romania, used to drink their
    hot tea in very pretty glasses. The glasses special holders so that
    you wouldn't burn your fingers when picking them up. I remember as a
    child, they always made sure that I put a spoon in the glass before
    pouring the hot tea in it to make sure it wouldn't break.

    Do you use one tea bag per cup? Or do you do as my mom does and make a
    pot of tea with one or two bags in it?

    NancyJaye

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >>
    >> "> I like it straight - no sugar or milk or anything and *especially*
    >> > not lemon (blecch!).
    >> >
    >> > I like it lightly brewed - not long enough to get bitter.
    >> >
    >> > My fave is Darjeeling. Years ago I used to drink green tea
    >> > and oolong but haven't drunk them since I discovered really
    >> > good Darjeeling.

    >> But! It's so hard to get 'good' Darjeelilng. I've had expensive
    >> Darjeeling
    >> that tastes no different-ly than inexpensive. I would love to trust
    >> buying
    >> the 'best' just one time. Lots of $$.
    >> Dee Dee

    > A friend had a friend who brought her some back from
    > Darjeeling and she gave me some of it. He brought her
    > a ton of it. It's really awesome.
    >
    > Kate

    Is there any other tea that you might have had that you could describe it as
    being close to in taste?
    I've heard that that is next to impossible.
    Dee Dee

  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 11:31:35 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    >differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    >weird stuff with it?
    >
    >Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    >
    >--------------
    >
    >I like the most common one, just good old red label with milk (whole or
    >semi-skimmed), medium strong, 1 sugar, hot temp.
    >
    >Just now, I had it with single cream, it tasted quite nice.
    >
    >I also like mocha (hot temp with whipped cream) in cafe, as I like
    >someone make it for me...

    oh no Dee, tea should be served pre-sweetened with granulated raw
    sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice in a glass full of ice cubes!

    Bill

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:37:51 -0500, Bill wrote:

    > On 1 Feb 2006 11:31:35 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > >differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > >weird stuff with it?
    > >
    > >Or are you more into the 'other' beverage?
    > >
    > >--------------
    > >
    > >I like the most common one, just good old red label with milk (whole or
    > >semi-skimmed), medium strong, 1 sugar, hot temp.
    > >
    > >Just now, I had it with single cream, it tasted quite nice.
    > >
    > >I also like mocha (hot temp with whipped cream) in cafe, as I like
    > >someone make it for me...

    > oh no Dee, tea should be served pre-sweetened with granulated raw
    > sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice in a glass full of ice cubes!

    The only presweetened iced-tea worth mentioning is Thai tea.
    Otherwise, make it black with lemon for me.

  10. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "dee" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1138822295.913259.26760
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello! How do you like your tea make? Do you enjoy any particular
    > differerent style(s) of tea? Do you have milk/sugar/or some other
    > weird stuff with it?

    Very simple. Leaves of some kind (black, green, rooibos) in a pot with
    very-hot-but-not-quite-boiling water, drunk from tiny cups to keep it warm
    longer in the pot. No milk or sugar.

    I don't mind some of the more natural flavourings such as jasmine, orange
    peel, lemongrass, ginger, mint etc, but am not fond of the artificial
    flavourings and sweeteners that make the tea taste like lollies.

    Mostly I drink rooibos or decaf though, as I'm sensitive to caffeine.

  11. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:41:59 -0800, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:14:12 +0000 (UTC), guy klose <[email protected]TheWorld.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>We started with Ahmed Ceylon (black) tea (BOP) that a neighbor recommended.

    >I found this loose tea in an Asian market in Phoenix, and I really
    >liked it. Have been trying to find it ever since, but haven't been
    >very lucky.
    >
    >If anyone in the SF bay area knows where to find it, let me know. Or
    >in Sacramento...
    >
    >Christine

    Try the Tea Trader in Calgary. Great tea purveyor, I've been ordering
    tea from them for about 5 years now. My favorite is their Imperial
    Black #10. www.teatrader.com

    No business connection with them other than being a very satisfied
    customer!

    TammyM

  12. Dee Randall wrote:

    > "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Dee Randall wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "> I like it straight - no sugar or milk or anything and *especially*

    > >> But! It's so hard to get 'good' Darjeelilng. I've had expensive
    > >> Darjeeling
    > >> that tastes no different-ly than inexpensive. I would love to trust
    > >> buying
    > >> the 'best' just one time. Lots of $$.
    > >> Dee Dee

    > > A friend had a friend who brought her some back from
    > > Darjeeling and she gave me some of it. He brought her
    > > a ton of it. It's really awesome.
    > >
    > > Kate

    > Is there any other tea that you might have had that you could describe it as
    > being close to in taste?
    > I've heard that that is next to impossible.
    > Dee Dee

    Gee, I wouldn't begin to know how to describe it as to
    distinguish it from other black teas. I just know it
    tastes different. I've read that it has a "unique muscatel
    flavor" whatever the hell that means. I have no idea what
    a "muscatel flavor" is.

    Kate