How Do You Eat Spaghetti?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    When I was a kid, we got boxes of spaghetti that were about 4 inches square
    on the ends, and around 3 feet long. The pasta inside was folded in half,
    so you were talking strands at least 5-1/2 feet long. One or two were all
    that a fork could hold.

    We twirled the cooked pasta by holding the tines of our forks against a
    soup spoon and twirling.

    I die inside, just a little, when I see someone chop their spaghetti into
    little pieces. Never could get the hang of twirling against the plate.

    How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    Tags:

  2. Damsel spaketh thusly:

    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    I don't! Such an incredible pain in the butt! Eating should be
    fun, not work lol

    That's why God invented shells, springs, ziti, etc. :)

    If u are gonna say that I said something,
    please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

  3. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    "I-zheet M'drurz" <[email protected]> said:

    > Damsel spaketh thusly:
    >
    > > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    > I don't! Such an incredible pain in the butt! Eating should be
    > fun, not work lol
    >
    > That's why God invented shells, springs, ziti, etc. :)

    So you're not up for a good challenge, huh? LOL!

    Carol, who's never before heard of anyone who doesn't eat spaghetti

    --

  4. On Sun 26 Jun 2005 09:21:11p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > When I was a kid, we got boxes of spaghetti that were about 4 inches
    > square on the ends, and around 3 feet long. The pasta inside was folded
    > in half, so you were talking strands at least 5-1/2 feet long. One or
    > two were all that a fork could hold.
    >
    > We twirled the cooked pasta by holding the tines of our forks against a
    > soup spoon and twirling.
    >
    > I die inside, just a little, when I see someone chop their spaghetti
    > into little pieces. Never could get the hang of twirling against the
    > plate.
    >
    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?
    >
    > Carol

    Like you, fork against spoon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
    Tested on: 6/26/2005 10:04:49 PM

  5. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Damsel wrote:

    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    SUCK 'EM UP! The only way. Spoons and forks are for polite people, not
    spaghetti eaters.

    jim

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Carol asked:

    > We twirled the cooked pasta by holding the tines of our forks against a
    > soup spoon and twirling.
    >
    > I die inside, just a little, when I see someone chop their spaghetti into
    > little pieces. Never could get the hang of twirling against the plate.
    >
    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    I twirl against the plate. This generally results in a ball of pasta
    roughly the size of a tennis ball stuck on the end of the fork. I swish the
    ball around in the sauce, then elegantly [HA!] bite pieces off the end of
    the fork.

    The trick to twirling against the plate is to start off with the fork at
    about a 45-degree angle to the plate, twirl it a few times, then slowly
    bring it to a perpendicular position while twirling.

    Bob

  7. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> said:

    > I twirl against the plate. This generally results in a ball of pasta
    > roughly the size of a tennis ball stuck on the end of the fork. I swish the
    > ball around in the sauce, then elegantly [HA!] bite pieces off the end of
    > the fork.

    Please have someone film this performance, okay? I want to see this!

    > The trick to twirling against the plate is to start off with the fork at
    > about a 45-degree angle to the plate, twirl it a few times, then slowly
    > bring it to a perpendicular position while twirling.

    I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
    involved with the ones I started out with. :(

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  8. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel wrote:
    > I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
    > involved with the ones I started out with. :(
    >
    > Carol
    >
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    After you twirl awhile, lean the fork back down and cut the strands.
    Then twirl a bit more. You will end up with a tiny plum-sized wad on
    the end of the fork - just big enough for your mouth. :)

    -L.
    (Spaghetti Mastah!)

  9. Damsel wrote:

    > "Bob" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> said:
    >
    > > I twirl against the plate. This generally results in a ball of

    > pasta
    > > roughly the size of a tennis ball stuck on the end of the fork. I

    > swish the
    > > ball around in the sauce, then elegantly [HA!] bite pieces off the

    > end of
    > > the fork.

    > Please have someone film this performance, okay? I want to see this!
    >
    > > The trick to twirling against the plate is to start off with the

    > fork at
    > > about a 45-degree angle to the plate, twirl it a few times, then

    > slowly
    > > bring it to a perpendicular position while twirling.

    One can of course use the electrical spaghetti fork, the battery
    operated, pasta tool. That twirls the pasta for you.

    Of course like many an other cultural oddity the 'eating' of 'spaghetti'
    (long form Italian pasta) is as much a regional delectation as it is a
    universal phenomena.

    > I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta
    > getting
    > involved with the ones I started out with. :(

    There are different forms or shapes of pasta.

    One need not feed exclusively on "spaghetti".

    Even if your ancestors hail form Naples.

    > Carol
    >
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    --
    ---
    Joseph Littleshoes
    may be consulted at
    ---
    http://finblake.home.mindspring.com/tarotintro.htm

  10. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> said:

    > Damsel wrote:
    >
    > One can of course use the electrical spaghetti fork, the battery
    > operated, pasta tool. That twirls the pasta for you.

    There actually exists a gadget like that?? Some people have too much time
    on their hands.

    > > I still wind up with stray strands of pasta
    > > getting involved with the ones I started out with. :(

    > There are different forms or shapes of pasta.
    >
    > One need not feed exclusively on "spaghetti".

    But, but, but ... I *want* spaghetti!

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  11. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Damsel wrote:
    > When I was a kid, we got boxes of spaghetti that were about 4 inches square
    > on the ends, and around 3 feet long. The pasta inside was folded in half,
    > so you were talking strands at least 5-1/2 feet long. One or two were all
    > that a fork could hold.
    >
    > We twirled the cooked pasta by holding the tines of our forks against a
    > soup spoon and twirling.
    >
    > I die inside, just a little, when I see someone chop their spaghetti into
    > little pieces. Never could get the hang of twirling against the plate.
    >
    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?
    >
    > Carol

    I twirl my spaghetti on using a pitch fork and a snow shovel... :)

    Of course, I wash both really well before using.... :)

    ---Charlie

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    > Carol

    Twirl on plate. Rob cuts. I cry for pity. (And it's "pasghetti and
    meat bulbs" -- did I ever tell you about my Family Circus cartoon?)
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/17/05 Pictures & story
    from Notable Women's Dinner at the Governor's Residence.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
    > involved with the ones I started out with. :(
    >
    > Carol

    Divide and conquer!
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/17/05 Pictures & story
    from Notable Women's Dinner at the Governor's Residence.

  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel wrote:
    > When I was a kid, we got boxes of spaghetti that were about 4 inches
    > square on the ends, and around 3 feet long. The pasta inside was
    > folded in half, so you were talking strands at least 5-1/2 feet long.
    > One or two were all that a fork could hold.
    >
    > We twirled the cooked pasta by holding the tines of our forks against
    > a soup spoon and twirling.
    >
    > I die inside, just a little, when I see someone chop their spaghetti
    > into little pieces. Never could get the hang of twirling against the
    > plate.
    >
    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?
    >
    > Carol

    While I can't say I've ever seen packages of spaghetti such as you describe,
    I must confess I break dried spaghetti noodles into 3 equal parts before I
    cook them. I find extremely long strands of pasta to be unruly, even with
    the help of a spoon. I prefer ziti and small penne pasta for holding a
    sauce without requiring elaborate wielding of the knife, fork and spoon. Of
    course, lots of freshly grated cheese on the pasta helps, too :)

    Jill

  15. Damsel

    Damsel Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

    > I must confess I break dried spaghetti noodles into 3 equal parts before I
    > cook them.

    AAAAAAAAAARGH!

    > I find extremely long strands of pasta to be unruly, even with
    > the help of a spoon. I prefer ziti and small penne pasta for holding a
    > sauce without requiring elaborate wielding of the knife, fork and spoon.

    Ahh! It's the sauce you're after. I use just barely enough sauce to
    lightly coat the pasta.

    > Of course, lots of freshly grated cheese on the pasta helps, too :)

    Can't argue with that!

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  16. Damsel wrote on 26 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?
    >
    > Carol
    >
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    I just twirl it around my fork, spoon isn't required.

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> I must confess I break dried spaghetti noodles into 3 equal parts
    >> before I cook them.

    > AAAAAAAAAARGH!
    >
    >> I find extremely long strands of pasta to be unruly, even with
    >> the help of a spoon. I prefer ziti and small penne pasta for
    >> holding a sauce without requiring elaborate wielding of the knife,
    >> fork and spoon.

    > Ahh! It's the sauce you're after. I use just barely enough sauce to
    > lightly coat the pasta.

    This implies I soak the pasta in sauce. Not so. I don't want my pasta
    overwhelmed by sauce but I don't want to have to stretch it out across
    clotheslines to enjoy it, either! LOL

    >> Of course, lots of freshly grated cheese on the pasta helps, too :)

    > Can't argue with that!
    >
    > Carol

  18. Damsel wrote on 27 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta
    > getting involved with the ones I started out with. :(
    >
    > Carol

    You select the 1 or 2 strands you want/like. Pick them up between the
    tines of the fork. The actual lifting of the strands is sort of a
    art...use caution that you lifted no more than 2 strands and that you
    have lifted them somewhat NOT too close to a end of the either of
    the indivdual strands, but not so far from a end that you get the
    dreaded dangler.

    Points to Ponder...The Dreaded Dangler...sounds like a radio drama
    character from the 30's.

    Visualization part of demo: make a fist, put fist on a table
    (horizontally)...extend index finger now lay several strands of string
    over your index finger...note the clearance from the table top. Now
    extend the middle finger and make a twisting motion. Note how well this
    would work if your wrist could spin around and around.

    While the fork is slightly above the pile (kinda hanging in in the
    breeze), there is a definite but slight air space between the selected
    strands and the other foods and the plate. You can use just about any
    airspace distance you like...but Miss Manners frowns on any distance
    higher than 1.75 inches.

    Commence twisting! Huston we have a forkful! Works great.

    Be sure the twisting motion is fairly brisk but not so brisk that
    dinning companions get spattered in sauce, another Miss Manners no no.
    This ensures that no battery operated electric drills are operated on
    high during your spaghetti dinning experience.

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

  19. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Damsel wrote on 26 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

    > I just twirl it around my fork, spoon isn't required.

    I'm with you ... just twirl it on the fork, make sure you get
    just the right amount and put it in your mouth. One of my
    favorite dinners, along with meatballs and hot Italian sausage
    (I usually have one or the other at any given meal).

    nancy

  20. Nancy Young