How Do You Eat Spaghetti?

Damsel wrote:
> "Bob" said:
>
> > I twirl against the plate.

> I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
> involved with the ones I started out with. :(

I'm a twirler, but I twirl against the palate, and no forkin'... get my
face right down close to your steamy hot 'sketti mound and pull a
serious lip vacuum while twirling with my talented tongue....
slurp-slurp, faster and faster, non stop until your plate is squeaky
clean. And then ya do the hot sauce-seege! ;)

Sheldon

On Mon 27 Jun 2005 01:53:29p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf <[email protected]> said:
>
>> On 27 Jun 2005 01:38:02 -0500, Bob wrote:
>>
>> > I twirl against the plate. This generally results in a ball of
>> > pasta roughly the size of a tennis ball stuck on the end of the
>> > fork.

>> Jeeze, Bob... keep it to 3-4 strands! Plunging your fork into the
>> middle of the spaghetti and twirling will always end up in a tennis
>> ball sized mass.

> Same thing happens to me when I try to twirl against the plate. Even
> though I'm over on the side, strands from the main group keep jumping
> into the fork and making a pasta tennis ball.

Did you twirl baton? Maybe you're just confused. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Damsel wrote :
>

> > Same thing happens to me when I try to twirl against the plate.

> Did you twirl baton? Maybe you're just confused. :)

Damsel may be confused by a lot of things but I bet twirling baton
ain't one of them... I hear tell she could twirl two at a time while
doing a split... why do you think they made her wear dat dress! <G>

Sheldon

On Mon 27 Jun 2005 02:10:36p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Damsel wrote :
>>

>> > Same thing happens to me when I try to twirl against the plate.

>> Did you twirl baton? Maybe you're just confused. :)

> Damsel may be confused by a lot of things but I bet twirling baton
> ain't one of them... I hear tell she could twirl two at a time while
> doing a split... why do you think they made her wear dat dress! <G>
>
> Sheldon

ROTFLMAO!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:14:11 -0700, JimLane <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

>SUCK 'EM UP! The only way. Spoons and forks are for polite people, not
>spaghetti eaters.
>

>jim

Yes, that is a decent way to eat spaghetti. We taught our children to
twirl against the spoon. Ok, up to our next holiday to Italy. Then
they learned from the masters, To suck !!!

Wim.

Damsel <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

I've pondered talking 1 pound of cooked spaghetti, mixing it with about 3
pounds of grated parmesano regiano and pressing it into a springform pan
(approximately 10 psi), let set for a few seconds, unmold and spread with
pesto "icing," and cut into pie slices. Serve with pats of meatball.

;)

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr

Jack Masters <[email protected]> said:

> Damsel wrote:
> >
> > How do *you* get 'sketti from the plate to your mouth?

> 1) put plate on potters wheel
> 2) stick fork into spaghetti, and hold steady
> 3) run wheel until enough spaghetti has wrapped itself around fork

<Damsel squeals with delight> I LOVE IT!

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Kate Connally <[email protected]> said:

> Damsel wrote:
> >
> > When I was a kid, we got boxes of spaghetti that were about 4 inches square
> > on the ends, and around 3 feet long. The pasta inside was folded in half,
> > so you were talking strands at least 5-1/2 feet long. One or two were all
> > that a fork could hold.

> Good grief! How did you get them into the pot to
> cook them if they were that long? Even folded in half
> they'd be too big for any pot I've ever seen.

I was in error about the length. Probably 3-1/2 feet or so when cooked.
Mom made spaghetti in a gigantic soup pot. It "melted" into the boiling
water fairly quickly.

> I've been around over 50 years and I've never come across
> spaghetti that was more than about a foot long. Even
> foot-long spaghetti is tough to get under the water all
> at once, so I can't even begin to see how people would
> manage anything longer. I suspect it was meant to be
> broken into more manageable lengths when put in the
> pot.

That's blasphemy! ;)

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

>> 3) run wheel until enough spaghetti has wrapped itself around fork

Great, but how the heck are you gonna stop the potter's wheel when the fork
is full?!!! It's like a turbine engine and takes awhile to spin down. If it
had a break, your first forkful would be your last. The rest would
certainly test the doneness theory of throwing a strand against the wall.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>I just twirl it around my fork, spoon isn't required.

> I'm with you ... just twirl it on the fork, make sure you get
> just the right amount and put it in your mouth. One of my
> favorite dinners, along with meatballs and hot Italian sausage
> (I usually have one or the other at any given meal).
>
> nancy

I'll third that motion. Fork only, no spoon. Long strands. I skeeve
spa'ghet that's been all broken up. It seems like it is "dumbing it
down" or something?
Goomba

maxine in ri wrote:

> Enlace a couple of strands in the fork tines and twirl just about the
> plate. I've never seen 6' spagetti. My Mom used to break it in half
> so it was impossible to eat neatly.
>
> maxine in ri

You're right. I think when it is broken up it is WAY messier to eat.
Goomba

Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> said:

> That is how it is most often cooked but it can be cooked whole in a tall
> pot. It quickly softens and folds itself into the water. I have done
> so as a kind of practical joke on people. 1 whole strands can be laid on
> a plate and look like a ordinary dish of pasta till the person tries to
> eat it and they find it is one long strand. Most people figure out very
> quickly to cut up the pasta into manageable bites but i have seen people
> struggle with it for several minutes, wrapping the whole thing up on a
> fork till they have a big unwieldy ball of pasta on their fork.

We kids would have contests to see who could eat the biggest wad of
spaghetti. As I mentioned earlier, one or two strands is pretty much all
the average person can handle.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

"Damsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> said:
>
>> I twirl against the plate. This generally results in a ball of pasta
>> roughly the size of a tennis ball stuck on the end of the fork. I swish
>> the
>> ball around in the sauce, then elegantly [HA!] bite pieces off the end of
>> the fork.

> Please have someone film this performance, okay? I want to see this!
>
>> The trick to twirling against the plate is to start off with the fork at
>> about a 45-degree angle to the plate, twirl it a few times, then slowly
>> bring it to a perpendicular position while twirling.

> I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
> involved with the ones I started out with. :(
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

==============

Bob and I apparently learned the same way... although I must admit to
stopping (size-wise) sooner. I wrap until it's the size of a racquet ball
and then press the fork sideways to cut surplus. YMDV! LOL

Cyndi

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Damsel wrote:
>> I've tried that, but I still wind up with stray strands of pasta getting
>> involved with the ones I started out with. :(
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> --
>> Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

> After you twirl awhile, lean the fork back down and cut the strands.
> Then twirl a bit more. You will end up with a tiny plum-sized wad on
> the end of the fork - just big enough for your mouth. :)
>
> -L.
> (Spaghetti Mastah!)
>==

Hmmm, that too, would describe my technique.

Cyndi

"Nexis" <[email protected]> said:

> It depends on who's watching! lol
> If I'm in a restaurant, I twirl against a spoon or the dish it's served in.
> If I'm at home, sometimes I twirl, sometimes I only twirl it enough to get
> it on the fork so it won't fall off, and slurp up the ends. The kids relax
> and have fun and everyone gets a little messy, but it's good!

No, no, no! You've got it all wrong! You twirl it enough to get it on the
fork so it won't fall off, and then ... lift the fork way up over your
head, line the lingering tendrils up over your face, and lower the
spaghetti into your mouth. Then you finish by eating what's on the fork.
Sheesh, amateurs!

> When I first read your subject line, I was thinking it would be about the
> sauce and degrees of noodle done-ness and such hehe.

You should know me better than that by now! ;)

Carol

--

The Joneses <[email protected]> said:

> Shhhhh, don't tell my DH's Italian relatives - I break the speghetti one
> normally gets in the grocery in half. fits better in the pots I gots. And one
> doesn't waste one's precious energy twirlin'. Makes for smaller bites.

What's the sport in that?? You people just aren't any fun! ;)

Carol

--

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> said:

> On Mon 27 Jun 2005 01:51:37p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I started thinking after I posted. The boxes were more like 2" in
> > length. Otherwise, they never would have fit in the cupboard. The boxes
> > were kept in a lower cabinet, and filled it from front to back. When
> > you're a kid, everything seems larger than life. :)

> Everything? :)

Sheldon, when did you start forging Wayne's headers? ;)

Carol