How do you explain AMB to...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?

    Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
    not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.

    It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to talk mountain biking. It's
    like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of personality and rider.
    Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird about that?

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    >
    > Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
    > not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.
    >
    > It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to
    talk
    > mountain biking. It's like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of
    > personality and rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird
    > about that?

    I've given up trying to explain it to anyone who has never used an ng (they just think it's an
    E-list), let alone anyone who hasn't used the net......

    Shaun aRe

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:31:11 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

    > Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
    > not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.

    Funny that Usenet is such an "odd" thing to people, given that its been around for longer than
    any website.

    > Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird about that?

    When my wife asks me who I'm driving a few hours to ride with and I say "its some guy from the
    Internet", I can't help but think it just sounds a little dirty. But its always been good. People
    are generally nicer in "real life" anyway.

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    >
    > Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
    > not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.
    >
    > It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to
    talk
    > mountain biking. It's like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of
    > personality and rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird
    > about that?

    People think it's strange. My wife was definitely leery of going to Fruita a couple of years ago to
    ride with some freak I met online. She's warmed up to the idea a little and the Freak quite a bit,
    but she still thinks I'm not suspicious enough of online contacts.

    I tell people it's like a BBS (bulletin board system) who may have been around when you used to
    actually dial directly into a big computer system, or at least heard of them. I have such a diverse
    group of friends and activities that there's always someone I hang out with or something I do that
    is a total mystery to somebody else I know.

    Next month I'm staying over at an online friend's friend's place after a concert. That was hard to
    get approved with the Mrs. and she's still pretty skeptical. The friend is someone I've known online
    for about four years and we've both met him and his S.O. at shows a couple of times. So I feel like
    I know him and trust his friends are OK. She's not too sure, but (sort of) trusts my judgment.

    It always sounds strange when you try to explain stuff like this to someone who doesn't understand.

    Matt

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:31:11 -0800, Penny S. wrote:
    |
    | > Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site.
    No,
    | > it's not chat. No, it's not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of
    | > ao-hell.
    |
    | Funny that Usenet is such an "odd" thing to people, given that its been around for longer than any
    | website.
    |
    | > Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so
    weird
    | > about that?
    |
    | When my wife asks me who I'm driving a few hours to ride with and I say "its some guy from the
    | Internet", I can't help but think it just sounds a little dirty. But its always been good. People
    | are generally nicer in "real life" anyway.

    Hides big axe and smiles!

    Simon

  6. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    >
    > Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
    > not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.
    >
    > It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to
    talk
    > mountain biking. It's like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of
    > personality and rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird
    > about that?

    Who said it was weird??

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    MattB wrote:

    > People think it's strange. My wife was definitely leery of going to Fruita a couple of years ago
    > to ride with some freak I met online. She's warmed up to the idea a little and the Freak quite a
    > bit, but she still thinks I'm not suspicious enough of online contacts.

    Try telling people you ( lone female) are going to drive 5 hours to ride with some guys you met in
    an internet bike club. Now that will get you some strange reactions. They relax a bit once I tell
    them I had my own place to stay.

    > I tell people it's like a BBS (bulletin board system) who may have been around when you used to
    > actually dial directly into a big computer system, or at least heard of them. I have such a
    > diverse group of friends and activities that there's always someone I hang out with or something I
    > do that is a total mystery to somebody else I know.

    it's not so much how to explain it as it's more the concept of meeting total strangers. Especially
    when meeting people from online deals has such a negative connotation ( for good reasons....)

    > Next month I'm staying over at an online friend's friend's place after a concert. That was hard to
    > get approved with the Mrs. and she's still pretty skeptical. The friend is someone I've known
    > online for about four years and we've both met him and his S.O. at shows a couple of times. So I
    > feel like I know him and trust his friends are OK. She's not too sure, but (sort of) trusts my
    > judgment.

    Gab and I were online pals for years before we met at bike camp.

    > It always sounds strange when you try to explain stuff like this to someone who doesn't
    > understand.

    my best moment in Idaho... stiing around shooting the breeze with the guys, and I mentioned that I
    had gotten an email from someone. "he'd better not be hitting on you...asshole... we'll kill him" (
    or something like that) was the comments. Heh, heh. You could see the hackles going up. That was
    sweet. At least that's how I remember it....

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    >> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    >
    > It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
    > quite succinctly.

    who peed in your cornflakes today?

  9. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | >> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    | >
    | > It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
    | > quite succinctly.
    |
    | who peed in your cornflakes today?

    Just today?

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 1/27/2003

  10. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | >> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
    | >
    | > It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
    | > quite succinctly.
    |
    | who peed in your cornflakes today?

    Why do you assume that someone "peed in my cornflakes"?

    Best of luck.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  11. "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    | | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | | > news:[email protected]...
    | | >
    | | > It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
    | | > quite succinctly.
    | |
    | | who peed in your cornflakes today?
    | |
    | |

    | Just today?
    |

    | ---
    | __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    | http://intergalax.com

    Ahoy Captain!

    Maybe you should check your Ion cannons before trying to enter your battle cruiser in a war of words
    with the likes of me.

    I'm going to call my alien friends and have them exploit your straight gauge spoke mythology and
    penetrate your warp drive faster than you can say "That Star Trek convention was THOOPER!"

    Nanu nanu.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  12. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    >> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    >>> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
    >>> quite succinctly.
    >>
    >> who peed in your cornflakes today?
    >
    > Why do you assume that someone "peed in my cornflakes"?

    I guess I could have said, "Gee Pete, you seem a little grumpy today. Is everything OK?" Sorry if I
    hurt your feelings.

    p.

  13. "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | | "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | | news:[email protected]...

    | | |
    | | | who peed in your cornflakes today?
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | | Just today?
    | |
    | |
    | | ---
    | | __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    | | http://intergalax.com
    |
    | Ahoy Captain!
    |
    | Maybe you should check your Ion cannons before trying to enter your battle cruiser in a war of
    | words with the likes of me.
    |
    | I'm going to call my alien friends and have them exploit your straight gauge spoke mythology and
    | penetrate your warp drive faster than you can
    say
    | "That Star Trek convention was THOOPER!"

    That would be really funny if I'd ever been to a trekkie convention, or any SciFi convention for
    that matter.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 1/27/2003

  14. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...

    | >> who peed in your cornflakes today?
    | >
    | > Why do you assume that someone "peed in my cornflakes"?
    |
    | I guess I could have said, "Gee Pete, you seem a little grumpy today. Is everything OK?"

    And my reply would have been "Why do you assume that I'm grumpy?" Perhaps you should consider my
    comments again and also consider that there are a number of ways to interpret them, other than the
    narrow, pedestrian, way in which you did.

    | Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

    ROTFLMPWAO. Are you for real? Hurt my feelings? Someone make it stop!

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  15. "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | | "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | | news:[email protected]...
    | | | "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | | | news:[email protected]...

    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | |
    | | | Just today?
    | | |
    | | |
    | | | ---
    | | | __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    | | | http://intergalax.com
    | |
    | | Ahoy Captain!
    | |
    | | Maybe you should check your Ion cannons before trying to enter your
    battle
    | | cruiser in a war of words with the likes of me.
    | |
    | | I'm going to call my alien friends and have them exploit your straight gauge spoke mythology and
    | | penetrate your warp drive faster than you can
    | say
    | | "That Star Trek convention was THOOPER!"
    | |

    | That would be really funny if I'd ever been to a trekkie convention, or
    any
    | SciFi convention for that matter.

    Nah, it's funny whether you've been or not.

    Batten down the hatches Admiral, there are alien invaders approaching from quadrant beta 329!

    Nanu nanu.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]efagerlin.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...

    >>> Ahoy Captain!
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you should check your Ion cannons before trying to enter your battle cruiser in a war of
    >>> words with the likes of me.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to call my alien friends and have them exploit your straight gauge spoke mythology and
    >>> penetrate your warp drive faster than you can say "That Star Trek convention was THOOPER!"
    >>>

    >> That would be really funny if I'd ever been to a trekkie convention, or any SciFi convention for
    >> that matter.
    >
    > Nah, it's funny whether you've been or not.
    >
    > Batten down the hatches Admiral, there are alien invaders approaching from quadrant beta 329!
    >
    > Nanu nanu.

    Aw, you're alright. ;-) live long and prosper.

  17. "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]... <snip>
    |
    | | > Nanu nanu.
    | |
    | | Aw, you're alright. ;-) live long and prosper.
    |
    | Now you've crossed the line.
    |
    | Only I am allowed to mix Mork and Mindy and Star Trek references in my posts.
    |
    | --
    | Pete Felcherling
    |
    | Save Fruity trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

    <eyeflash> Jaffa...KREE!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 1/27/2003

  18. "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:QKVZ9.5991$H%[email protected]...
    | "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | | "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | | news:[email protected]... <snip>
    | |
    | | |
    | | | Aw, you're alright. ;-) live long and prosper.
    | |
    | | Now you've crossed the line.
    | |
    | | Only I am allowed to mix Mork and Mindy and Star Trek references in my posts.
    | |
    | | --
    | | Pete Felcherling
    | |
    | | Save Fruity trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm
    |
    | <eyeflash> Jaffa...KREE!

    Hey Jabba, you should quit while you're behind.

    That blew up the geek meter and was so far off the scale that it crashed Google when I hit enter.