How do you explain AMB to...

> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
>
> Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
> not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.
>
> It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to
talk
> mountain biking. It's like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of
> personality and rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird
> about that?

Microcosm (sp?) works for me.

Andy Chequer

Don't bother to explain it. If they don't get it, Feck 'em!

Steve

All you got to say is discuss and leave it at that.

Fire up MTB 03

Penny S. wrote:
> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
>
> Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
> not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.

I don't bother trying to explain Usenet to anyone that I mention a.m-b to. I just call it a mountain
bike group on the Internet - no-one's pushed me in to further explanation yet.

> It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to talk mountain biking. It's
> like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of personality and
> rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird about that?

I mentioned to the g/f that I might take a day out in Feb to go riding with the UK a.m-b crew and
she didn't seem phased in the slightest. However, she's used to me disappearing off, meeting random
people in different countries. That sounds dodgy, doesn't it?

The one odd experience that I did have was when you posted that recipe for your faux thai chicken
(had it again on Friday for my pre-ride meal, delicious btw). I went home and cooked it and my
flatmates were very impressed; "Where did you get the recipe?" "Off a lady on the other side of the
world who happens to ride mountain bikes". Lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink, online affair. It was
one of those 'roll eyeballs' moments.

> The one odd experience that I did have was when you posted that recipe for your faux thai chicken
> (had it again on Friday for my pre-ride meal, delicious btw). I went home and cooked it and my
> flatmates were very impressed; "Where did you get the recipe?" "Off a lady on the other side of
> the world who happens to ride mountain bikes". Lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink, online affair. It
> was one of those 'roll eyeballs' moments.

I've often wondered about you two.

Mike

> MattB wrote:
> >
> > People think it's strange. My wife was definitely leery of going to Fruita a couple of years ago
> > to ride with some freak I met online. She's warmed up to the idea a little and the Freak quite a
> > bit, but she still thinks I'm not suspicious enough of online contacts.
> >

> Try telling people you ( lone female) are going to drive 5 hours to ride with some guys you met in
> an internet bike club. Now that will get you some strange reactions. They relax a bit once I tell
> them I had my own place to stay.
>

> > I tell people it's like a BBS (bulletin board system) who may have been around when you used to
> > actually dial directly into a big computer system, or at least heard of them. I have such a
> > diverse group of friends and activities that there's always someone I hang out with or something
> > I do that is a total mystery to somebody else I know.
>
> it's not so much how to explain it as it's more the concept of meeting total strangers. Especially
> when meeting people from online deals has such
> negative connotation ( for good reasons....)
>

> > Next month I'm staying over at an online friend's friend's place after a concert. That was hard
> > to get approved with the Mrs. and she's still pretty skeptical. The friend is someone I've known
> > online for about four years and we've both met him and his S.O. at shows a couple of times. So I
> > feel like I know him and trust his friends are OK. She's not too sure, but (sort of) trusts my
> > judgment.
>
> Gab and I were online pals for years before we met at bike camp.
>
> > It always sounds strange when you try to explain stuff like this to someone who doesn't
> > understand.
> >
> my best moment in Idaho... stiing around shooting the breeze with the
guys,
> and I mentioned that I had gotten an email from someone. "he'd better not be hitting on
> you...asshole... we'll kill him" ( or something like that) was the comments. Heh, heh. You could
> see the hackles going up. That was sweet. At least that's how I remember it....

I met hubby online :) I posted a personal ad that said "wanted, honey with a mountain bike, please
send picture of bike". Ironically enough I ending up dating the roadie and that was that ;)

> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
>
> Uh, it's sort of like an internet bike club. No, it's not a web site. No, it's not chat. No, it's
> not a listserve or email. Not a web site either. And, duh, NOT a part of ao-hell.
>
> It's about 100 guys and five women from all over the world who like to talk mountain biking. It's
> like a post ride beer bash bull session on someone's deck with every type of personality and
> rider. Sure we meet up for rides when we don't know each other... what's so weird about that?

I just tell'em its a news group. they usualy just "nod 'n smile", but oh well, its not like they are
going to post.

~Travis
--
Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> However, she's used to me disappearing off, meeting random people in different countries. That
> sounds dodgy, doesn't it?

So when you coming to Canberra Australia to ride? I can't afford to go INTERSTATE to ride, let alone
INTERNATIONAL, but if you ever come to my home town I'll happily bring my toy Mtn bike along to see
what a REAL Mtn bike looks like, and what a genuine rider can accomplish.

Trentus

bomba wrote:
> The one odd experience that I did have was when you posted that recipe for your faux thai chicken
> (had it again on Friday for my pre-ride meal, delicious btw). I went home and cooked it and my
> flatmates were very impressed; "Where did you get the recipe?" "Off a lady on the other side of
> the world who happens to ride mountain bikes".

if you double the of sauce amount and add a 4 oz can of coconut milk, yummy... sauce for anything.
Just tried that the other day.
p.

Cinder Girl wrote:
> I met hubby online :) I posted a personal ad that said "wanted, honey with a mountain bike, please
> send picture of bike". Ironically enough I ending up dating the roadie and that was that ;)

Really?

Modern dating.

P.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?

My name is not Lucy, so I don't have to 'splain anything.

If the choice is made to attempt, it's usually described as some cool people who ride and a few
idiots. The latter of the two being good for a laugh and sometimes even pity.

JD I'm a space cowboy, bet you weren't ready for that

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ... My wife was definitely leery of going to Fruita a couple of years ago to ride with some freak
> I met online. She's warmed up to the idea a little and the Freak quite a bit, but she still thinks
> I'm not suspicious enough of online contacts...

I have yet to convince my wife to participate in "a meeting". She's seen me come back a number of
times without having a kidney stolen or anything, but it still freaks her out too much to actually
participate.

Now, I'm only dipping a toe into a.m-b quite recently. I've been dorking around on usenet and
listservs since the troll was targetting rec.bicycles.misc, back in the mid-90's. Back then,
rec.bicycles.misc was where all the mtb-ers on the 'net were (pre r.b.o-r and pre a.m-b, and pretty
much pre-WWW for that matter).

So I've met maybe a dozen and a half mtbers through the years thanks to my participation in one
online group or another. If I had more time to travel, that number would be higher. Some of those
connections have become real friends.

I concluded years ago that it is a net loss to society for a person to put effort into participating
in an online community if that person does not make every effort to hook up with other online
participants in "real life". If we don't ever meet in person, we are using online life to *replace*
real life.

That my friends, is a dangerous thing.

Life is becoming more disconnected, and our REAL communities are becoming shallower thanks to busy
lives and other things. The 'net could be one of the things that makes our real communities
shallower. Or it could make our real communities richer.

If we use it to actually meet people who share our interests (in this case offroad cycling), it
becomes a tool to make our community (wired offroad cyclists), richer.

Sorry to get all serious. I'll now return to cutting up, yakking about equipment, and ignoring
the troll.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > ... My wife was definitely leery of going to Fruita a couple of years ago to ride with some
> > freak I met online. She's warmed up to the idea a little and the Freak quite a bit, but she
> > still thinks I'm not suspicious enough of online contacts...
>
> I have yet to convince my wife to participate in "a meeting". She's seen me come back a number of
> times without having a kidney stolen or anything, but it still freaks her out too much to actually
> participate.

So you still got two kidneys? What's your blood type?

Matt (you gotta come over for a ride some time!)

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Your spouse? Your relatives? Your biking pals? Your friends?
> >
> > It's a virtual toilet that is in constant need of flushing. That seems to get the point across
> > quite succinctly.
>
> who peed in your cornflakes today?

Aww, it's just Pete post-humping again. Ever notice that he has a particular hard-on for your posts?

I'd say ignore him and he'll go away, but that hasn't worked with Vandespam, so...

Hey, wait a minute...

;)

Spider

> Cinder Girl wrote:
> > I met hubby online :) I posted a personal ad that said "wanted, honey with a mountain bike,
> > please send picture of bike". Ironically enough I ending up dating the roadie and that was
> > that ;)
>
> Really?
>
> Modern dating.
>
> P.

Really! And its only getting more common. My friends started off laughing at me and pretty soon they
were all dating online too.

> Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can
> be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

Been There Done That several years ago. Put a 6" touchscreen in my Vette; nearly wrecked trying to
use the volume control on Winamp going down the road. ;) I installed Hauppauge WinTV FM card too,
and of course GPS and all that ****.

Here's a pic: http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/nc4.jpg

I've since found a laptop is more practical.

In article <BqZZ9.81320$_s4.39392@rwcrnsc54>, [email protected] says...
> > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC
> > can be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown
>
> Been There Done That several years ago. Put a 6" touchscreen in my Vette; nearly wrecked trying to
> use the volume control on Winamp going down the road. ;) I installed Hauppauge WinTV FM card too,
> and of course GPS and all that ****.
>
> Here's a pic: http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/nc4.jpg
>
> I've since found a laptop is more practical.

Actualy, the volume controls in my program are large buttons on the left side of the screen. I am
working to integrate an MP3 player into the program, though i have yet to get it so it will work
with playlists like Windows Media Player (haven't tried winamp so i can't compaire). i need it to
have the same functionality, but it needs to be integrated or the control buttons will be hidden
(this is all in VB6 BTW).

~Travis
--

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Cinder Girl wrote:
> > > I met hubby online :) I posted a personal ad that said "wanted, honey with a mountain bike,
> > > please send picture of bike". Ironically enough I ending up dating the roadie and that was
> > > that ;)
> >
> > Really?
> >
> > Modern dating.
> >
> > P.
> >

> Really! And its only getting more common. My friends started off laughing at me and pretty soon
> they were all dating online too.

That's so disgusting!
--
Slacker