How do you feel about child seats on bikes?

Abby25

Feb 7, 2016
A friend of mine often takes her two year old daughter when she goes riding. She has her in a child safety seat that is attached to the bike. While I am sure her child loves going riding with her, this truly makes me nervous. Sometimes she seems to ride much faster than she should with a child in tow and the thought of an accident happening and the child getting hurt or killed just gives me chills. Do you feel it is really safe to ride with a small child on the bike with you? Her bike looks very similar to the one in the pic below.

becca-garber-polisport-bike-seat-giveaway-1.jpg

I remember my parents will tell me and show me photos of me when I was as young as this toddler on the photo riding with them on a similar seat. I do not think it will be that dangerous if you have considered all the safety tick boxes. My parents do it to pacify me as I love the outdoors when I was that age.

Reactions: Abby25
How did I ever live long enough to become an adult and then live to reach old age?

There were no bike seats at all when I was a kid. We just sat on the top tube ("crossbar" back when I was a tyke) or the rear carrier rack. Or the <gasp!> handlebars!

There were no helmets back in the day. I must have had a hard head.

There were no bicycle safety courses. Just dodge the cars.

What has happened to society?

I say, let your friend live her reckless...and hopefully wreckless...Evel Knievel life style. Hopefully, her child will grow up to have a backbone.

I prefer a trailer because they handle better in my opinion and I can carry the diaper bag, food, etc. Plus the child is free to sleep on long rides.

Child is restrained, helmeted, and can't poke its feet into the spokes. And looks very content at an age where they're not really slick enough to fake it on command.
Ride more, fret less.

As long as the child is restrained correctly, and can't get its feet or hands anywhere it isn't supposed to that could cause harm and is wearing a helmet. I see no problem in child seats on bikes, its a great way to keep an eye on your kid while getting some exercise done.

I still have to see a child seat here. Although there are bikes that has a second seat for tandem riding, it is not common to see a rider with a passenger much more a child. But on second thought, I remember seeing a bike with a child passenger obviously going to school. But anyway, motorcycles and bicycles are forbidden to have children as passengers. The ordinance is for their own protection since accidents can happen that can be fatal to the child passenger.

I remember as a child riding with my friends being on the handle bars or having them on my handle bars. That was the fun of being a kid and we didn't go for far distances doing it either. Mainly, it was just clowning around for a few feet down the road. I have never said anything to my friend about this and never would. I just find myself worrying the child would be hurt if she had an accident. I don't deny it, I am an overprotective mom myself and I do have a habit of worrying a tad more than I should.

The guys I work with don't approve, but that's how I took my daughter riding when she was small. And I spoke with a customer a couple weeks ago who feels her kid is safer in the seat than in a trailer. She had a trailer, but a car hit it. The kid is OK.

If you're a solid rider, the child is a solid walker, and you use a rugged and safe carrier like the one in the photo, and use it correctly, then go for it. I bring up the child walking because balance and core muscles must be developed enough to handle the forces of sitting upright while in motion.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with the setup depicted in the picture. The mother has obviously taken every preventive measure that she could to protect her child, while on the bicycle. It's a nice, neat and efficient setup that I'm sure provides the maximum safety. As long as there are no drunkards and reckless drivers driving nearby, both the mom and child should be relatively safe.

As long as the child is restrained correctly, and can't get its feet or hands anywhere it isn't supposed to that could cause harm and is wearing a helmet. I see no problem in child seats on bikes, its a great way to keep an eye on your kid while getting some exercise done.

I agree completely, I have no problem with her doing that either. As long as she's careful and not reckless she's good to go as fast as she wants. It's not any different than her driving a car, put the child in a safety seat and go. Most moms are very protective of their children, I doubt she would be doing that if she felt she was endangering the child, can an accident happen? of course, but so can one in a car, so does that mean that moms should avoid carrying the child in a car?

I'd say it depends on the style of the bike.In the picture, she looks to be in some type of urban/mt bike which probably doesn't go faster than 8 or so miles per hour. The type of ride to just relax and ride around town for a few miles. To me, this indicates the kid won't be flying of the back or flying downhill;). I wouldn't worry, she's spending quality time with the kid and getting a little exercise. I'd worry about the person who leaves their kid unattended while they go out riding.

I didn't think people did this anymore. I haven't seen it in quite some time. No. I don't agree with it. Maybe a three wheeler with a basket on the back. Perhaps one of these big bench bikes with the canopy for a day out.

Perhaps a Mercedes-Benz S-Class stretch limo with full anti-terrorism armor, a pursuit trained chauffer and a padded bubble suit?

Perhaps a Mercedes-Benz S-Class stretch limo with full anti-terrorism armor, a pursuit trained chauffer and a padded bubble suit?

But there is a chance little jimmy might have an allergy to the leather interior, they might see something offensive since there are windows in that vehicle AND they could breath in exhaust fumes!
No the ONLY was to ensure a child's safety is to never, EVER let them leave the house. They should not be exposed to the outside world for even one second, because who knows what terrible atrocities await them.
Can you imagine my terrible mother let me WALK to school! I am really surprised that child protective services didn't swoop in and lock her up. Good thing we have good organizations like CPS to look out for kids now a days, I don't know how any of us are even alive without the all knowing guidance of the State.

It is a good idea to carry a child in these kind of seats and I have sat on them when I was a kid. Those could be a little dangerous but it is easy to take a child with you wherever you may go.

Around here in inner Sydney, children travel in seats just like that all the time. Children love it. For an experienced urban rider, the risk of a crash is low.

These are excellent, I haven't seen much of them but it's probably the best way to take your kid for a ride. There is nothing like sharing the things you like with the ones you love.