How do you feel about riding with traffic?

I think a lot of cyclists are very vulnerable on the road especially during traffic jams. I remember a lady cyclist who was injured when a car hit her on the side while cycling along a busy street. She was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam when a car hit her. She has filed a complaint but until now she's still waiting for the driver to respond to her complaint.

I think a lot of cyclists are very vulnerable on the road especially during traffic jams. I remember a lady cyclist who was injured when a car hit her on the side while cycling along a busy street. She was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam when a car hit her. She has filed a complaint but until now she's still waiting for the driver to respond to her complaint.
This doesn't change the fact the bicycles belong on the road, not on the sidewalk. Was she paying attention to her surroundings? Who was at fault for citation and insurance purposes (at fault under law, not opinion).This example isn't enough to discourage riding with traffic and you don't even say where you fall on the issue.

That seems to be the biggest issue with cycling in busy towns and cities, and it's not that the cyclist as done anything wrong to cause the accident, it's more often the other road users. as it goes I'd say that cyclists are the safest people on the road usually, but when others make a mistake it's us cyclists that get the brunt of the damage.

All we can do is ride as safely as we can, but also hope for the best that others are being as careful as we are, but more often not they aren't and that's when we come off the worst.

I definitely agree that cyclists are the safest people on the road especially because cyclists know how vulnerable they are from vehicles that usually rule the roads. It's just really sad how sometimes it's the cyclists who receive all the blame when accidents happen.

Reactions: pwarbi
I definitely agree that cyclists are the safest people on the road especially because cyclists know how vulnerable they are from vehicles that usually rule the roads. It's just really sad how sometimes it's the cyclists who receive all the blame when accidents happen.
I don't see it happening that way. Quite the opposite actually.

I love riding in traffic because it's more thrilling. I love challenges and the traffic makes the ride more exciting. Most people don't like to ride in traffic but my thinking is different. In my opinion, riding in traffic is more interesting than the mountain rides.

While I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that we're the safest people on the road as a whole, as I've seen some cyclists perform things that are dangerous and simply downright stupid, I do think you're right in saying that the ones who are safe, are safe because they have seen what can happen if we don't take the care and attention we should do.

As cyclists, I'm sure we all know more than one person who has been injured through no fault of their own from riding in traffic, and that does stick in your mind when you are riding as you don't ant the same to happen to you. That CAN make you over cautious but it's always better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes.

Reactions: gracer
I love riding in traffic because it's more thrilling. I love challenges and the traffic makes the ride more exciting. Most people don't like to ride in traffic but my thinking is different. In my opinion, riding in traffic is more interesting than the mountain rides.
I'm not sure that doing it for a thrill is a good thing. If it's scary enough thaqt you are doing it for a thrill I wonder if you are doing it right...

I'm not sure that doing it for a thrill is a good thing. If it's scary enough thaqt you are doing it for a thrill I wonder if you are doing it right...
I am an experienced cyclist and that is why I can handle the traffic. Well, I am a thrill hunter and as I said, I love challenges. I have the right to decide what is good or bad for me and in my opinion, I am doing the right thing as accepting these types of challenges increases my skills.

I've been riding with traffic for 57 years. My mom taught me to ride with traffic when I was 7, so that's what I've been doing.

Getting hit by cars is not fun, but most drivers really don't want to hit you. You give them more opportunity to avoid you if they've been following you for a few seconds than if you suddenly appear, coming at them from the curbside corner of their windshields.

I've been riding with traffic for 57 years. My mom taught me to ride with traffic when I was 7, so that's what I've been doing.

Getting hit by cars is not fun, but most drivers really don't want to hit you. You give them more opportunity to avoid you if they've been following you for a few seconds than if you suddenly appear, coming at them from the curbside corner of their windshields.

I agree with what you said about drivers not wanting to hit you. But with the kind of traffic that we have here in Metro Manila, those drivers are not acting in their normal behavior maybe because of the too much stress brought about by the chaotic roads. Worse, the 2-wheel riders (bikes and motorbikes) has the propensity to weave in the traffic that usually cause dents and scratches in cars hence there seems to be a cold war between riders and drivers.

Absolutely at the start it made me nervous. I would always try and plan my routes along more quiet streets - even if that meant adding significant length and time to my journeys. These days though, I don't mind riding on busy streets with traffic at all. I feel fortunate to live in Japan where there is a big cycling culture - so many people ride here and motorists on the whole are very patient and respectful. It's a great place to cycle, even if the traffic does seem daunting at times!

I am an experienced cyclist and that is why I can handle the traffic. Well, I am a thrill hunter and as I said, I love challenges. I have the right to decide what is good or bad for me and in my opinion, I am doing the right thing as accepting these types of challenges increases my skills.

It's one thing though doing something for a thrill or to improve your skill, but at the same time you have to make sure that you aren't putting other road users at risk at the same time. As a rad user and in particular a cyclist, you have the responsibility to be safe while you're in traffic for your sake as well as those around you.

As you are an experienced cyclist then I'm sure you're already aware of this, but I do think it was worth pointing out as people who aren't as experienced as you may think that cycling in traffic is something they can do for a thrill, and that's when people start getting hurt.

I agree with what you said about drivers not wanting to hit you. But with the kind of traffic that we have here in Metro Manila, those drivers are not acting in their normal behavior maybe because of the too much stress brought about by the chaotic roads. Worse, the 2-wheel riders (bikes and motorbikes) has the propensity to weave in the traffic that usually cause dents and scratches in cars hence there seems to be a cold war between riders and drivers.
It sounds like your law makers, in whatever structure you have there, need to address these traffic concerns. Hopefully they do, and cyclists will be heard.

It sounds like your law makers, in whatever structure you have there, need to address these traffic concerns. Hopefully they do, and cyclists will be heard.

The busiest thoroughfare called EDSA has a motorcycle lane which is reserved for 2-wheeler. However, that lane can be used by vehicles which leaves the 2-wheelers on their own devices. In effect, that motorcycle lane is just another vehicle lane that has the markings for 2-wheelers. What I have in mind is to confine the 2-wheelers inside that particular lane and penalize those who would get out of that lane. Further, that lane for 2-wheelers should not be used by other vehicles. In short, the bike lane should be for the exclusive use of bikes and motorbikes and the other lanes are for the exclusive use of vehicles other than the 2-wheelers.

Rules as they are practiced vary in other parts of the world. Sorry about my limited North American experience.

She wasn't talking about North America. Look up Manila. It isn't part of North America.
Jack Fabros, the guy who started this thread, is from a place called Ft. McMurray, which I presume is not Manilla.

A bit snippy, aren't we?

Not at all. Only if you pull things out of context. I wasn't referring to the OP.
Well I was.

If you want to narrow a general discussion about riding safely in traffic to the specific problems of certain municipalities, then do it. But I'm suggesting you find less abrasive ways of excluding people from your discussion.

Not at all. Only if you pull things out of context
Well I was.

If you want to narrow a general discussion about riding safely in traffic to the specific problems of certain municipalities, then do it. But I'm suggesting you find less abrasive ways of excluding people from your discussion.
You are again taking things out of context and nit-picking my replies. Thankfully you can be ignored with a couple mouse clicks. Goodbye troll.