How do you get by with a useless college degree?

I don't like Coldplay that much anyways:p . "Welcome to the speed of sound......." What the hell is that? Do they call that a song?

Hey alienator - iBike sucks. Do you like it cuz it's a Physics calculator?

I'd suggest a Polar HRM (like the S720i) and a used Polar wired powermeter from ebay (these go for $150 to $240 on ebay). My first bought brand new powermeter works worse than my next 3 ones from ebay!

Do you buy from ebay too? If it wasn't from ebay I could definitely not afford my latest dream bike, a 2006 Cervelo CF Soloist Team with ergomo and Zipp 404s and Chorus / Record.

JTE83 said:
Hey alienator - iBike sucks. Do you like it cuz it's a Physics calculator?

How do you figure? How exactly do you think it sucks? FWIW, it's not a physics calculator. It just uses a different technique for calculating power. It's system accuracy is better than Polar's and is on par with SRM and Power Tap. I know people who have tested them, both in the original form and in the form with the firmware upgrade that conditions the accelerometer signal so that there's no dropout anymore in the signal on certain bumpy roads. Their opinions are that it's a fine unit.

JTE83 said:
I'd suggest a Polar HRM (like the S720i) and a used Polar wired powermeter from ebay (these go for $150 to $240 on ebay). My first bought brand new powermeter works worse than my next 3 ones from ebay!

Sorry. Overall reviews of Polar's power unit aren't very encouraging, and it's system accuracy isn't great. Empirically, Polar's system is the least desireable and robust of the five different systems: Ergomo, Power Tap, SRM, Polar, and iBike

JTE83 said:
Do you buy from ebay too? If it wasn't from ebay I could definitely not afford my latest dream bike, a 2006 Cervelo CF Soloist Team with ergomo and Zipp 404s and Chorus / Record.

No. I spend my money at my LBS. They get me whatever I want. They support local riders in a big way. They organize rides 6 days a week, often with pros showing up. They have the best stock of any bike store I've seen. And they give me a nice price, to boot. And most importantly, they're damned fine Joes.

The picture in your post above. It looks like a hybrid bike. Is it?

Oh:eek: . It's just the wheels look thick in the pic. How long have you had it for?

Vino said:
Oh:eek: . It's just the wheels look thick in the pic. How long have you had it for?

Well, the rims are 46mm deep....i.e., they're aero rims (Reynolds Stratus DV's).....and the tires are 21mm Vittoria Evo Corsa KX tubulars.

Must be an optical illusion, or maybe you been hypnotized.....:eek:

Alienator - that's a nice expensive bike you got. But if it's your only transportation and you lock it up I'd suggest you get a Trek Pilot 2.1 spa and put panniers on it for a commuter bike.

The guys in the Power Training section don't like the iBike. I guess you should enlighten us there about it. I don't think I've seen you there anyway.

JTE83 said:
Alienator - that's a nice expensive bike you got. But if it's your only transportation and you lock it up I'd suggest you get a Trek Pilot 2.1 spa and put panniers on it for a commuter bike.

Ok, I'll play......why? Is that suggestion based on whatever assumptions you've made about my needs? Maybe you need a Trek Pilot. Then you can say that you spent $25,000 pm bikes.

And is my bike better because it looks expensive? Gee, cool! And here, I thought it was all about the ride...

JTE83 said:
The guys in the Power Training section don't like the iBike. I guess you should enlighten us there about it. I don't think I've seen you there anyway.

Why? Do I need to go to the Power Training forum? I'm sure it's much better there, than it is to actually talk to people face to face. Facts are prolly more real on the internet than in real life. Please excuse me if I opt to put my faith in people I know, trust, and respect, instead of anonymous posters on an internet forum.

And really, what do people there know about iBike anyway? You admit you weren't at physics.......besides, I don't own an iBike. Where did you pick up that assumption?

In addition, I think a good question is, "How do you get by without a college degree?"

I have to bust my ass and take crappy jobs from time to time to get by. Searching for employment is super hard for me.

alienator said:
Well, the rims are 46mm deep....i.e., they're aero rims (Reynolds Stratus DV's).....and the tires are 21mm Vittoria Evo Corsa KX tubulars.

Must be an optical illusion, or maybe you been hypnotized.....:eek:
I knew I shouldn't have gone into the fortune tellers booth at the county fair.........:D

A degree is nothing more than a fancy piece of paper you frame and hang on your wall. What's important is how you've enhanced your skills by the experience. Everyone has to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. That's a basic need that wise use of our talents will, hopefully, provide. That means we gotta work. Working means being involved with other mortals in such a way as to produce something of value to the world. It's the involvement with other mortal humans where the joys and sorrows come from. When the day has been full of angst that's when the joy of cycling brings peace to the mind and puts the fire back in my heart. When I get home I've left my angst on the trail and can greet my wife with a light in my eye.

There are many reasons for a college education. Maybe it is your calling to study certain field. Hence, you will take on life with a passion and profondness that rarely exhibit in a mere mortal. :) I have a BS in Liberal Art. Have a great deal of knowledge on Jungian Analytical Pyschology. I always look at life from a historical and collect pysche perspective. I was deeply concerned with the lack of spirituality of modern men/women. I found my calling. There was no turning back. It was my crusade to revolt on this world. :) My former world. To function as an ordinary citizen of a modern civilization and to be politically correct, I work in retail in the management field. When times I need to transcend myself, I go race bike and to unleash my power to the pedals.. :)

JTE83 said:
I was watching TV one day, and somehow I saw a man state that he's basically unemployable with his Philosophy degree! I wonder what kind of jobs he gets and how much he gets paid! And what about student loan payback?

Other nearly useless degrees --
political science (if you don't go into government)
biology (if you don't get a nursing or other degree to go with it)
asian studies (what would you use this for?)
what others?

Do you yourself or if you know others with useless degrees - can you give us feedback on how you / they get by?

Philosophy I think that is a great degree. You would need to know what to do with it. Perhaps many go into a field of study with no real objective. They just like it. Teachers are great sources of helping you figure out what you can do with this degree or that degree. A philosopher could write books. They certainly could be a you tuber and possibly be successful at it.
I have met a ton of people that get degrees in a field and never use it. They get into something else. I've used mine the greater part of my life. I have gone into other avenues for different reasons. I like changing things up. I'm actually doing something different currently. I'm not going to add a degree to it. I've seen many who are quite successful without any kind of a degree.

JSWin said:
Philosophy I think that is a great degree. You would need to know what to do with it. Perhaps many go into a field of study with no real objective. They just like it. Teachers are great sources of helping you figure out what you can do with this degree or that degree. A philosopher could write books. They certainly could be a you tuber and possibly be successful at it.
I have met a ton of people that get degrees in a field and never use it. They get into something else. I've used mine the greater part of my life. I have gone into other avenues for different reasons. I like changing things up. I'm actually doing something different currently. I'm not going to add a degree to it. I've seen many who are quite successful without any kind of a degree.

JSWin, you're reviving all of the old threads this week aren't you?lol...

Everyone going to college should have a good career guidance either from parents or the school. We are spending time and money on something that we are not even sure if it would help us make a decent earning from in the future. If we get some good guidance deciding on what better course to take then we are not amenable to answer this question

Keyan said:
Everyone going to college should have a good career guidance either from parents or the school. We are spending time and money on something that we are not even sure if it would help us make a decent earning from in the future. If we get some good guidance deciding on what better course to take then we are not amenable to answer this question
Getting guidance from a school isn't the way, they only cater to a certain type of student. In 12th grade, my HS guidance counselor didn't talk to me because my grades weren't impressive and considered me a lost cause. I graduated in 2013 with a 5 year Bachelors of Architecture and a respectable 3.46 GPA. Meanwhile, many of the top students from my high school days never went to school and are stuck in retail. College is something you have to want and choose for yourself.