How do you get your bike to ironman

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by RAS, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. RAS

    RAS Guest

    I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. rsquared

    rsquared Guest

    RAS wrote:
    > I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    > my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    > they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

    One popular option is to ship your bike to a local shop. Many people
    did this for Lake Placid. I was too hung up on surrendering control of
    my bike for that long - - YMMV.

    rsquared

  3. Mike C

    Mike C Guest

    Several options:

    1) UPS or Fed-Ex, taking advantage of Inside Out Sports' packages for
    taking delivery, taking delivery and building up your bike, all of the
    above plus a tune-up...etc. I've used this service for Kona twice and
    Florida this past November and have been happy with it.

    2) A service like TriBikeTransport.com, more or less referenced
    already, where you take your bike to a LBS which then is picked up and
    transported to the race location. From what I understand, a pre-race
    tuneup is included in the service and the guys will act as your onsite
    mechanical staff if needed. People have been very happy with this
    service, but know that you will have to give up your ride perhaps 10
    days prior to the race and it won't be available until just a couple
    days before race day.

    3) Fly with it and deal with it yourself. Many pros and cons to this
    approach as you note regarding the cost of flying it there. You'll
    need to decide for yourself which is the best cost-to-grief (or lack
    thereof) ratio in your case.

    Good luck, and I'll see you in Tempe!

    Mike C

    RAS wrote:
    > I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    > my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    > they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

  4. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike C" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 3) Fly with it and deal with it yourself. Many pros and cons to this
    > approach as you note regarding the cost of flying it there. You'll
    > need to decide for yourself which is the best cost-to-grief (or lack
    > thereof) ratio in your case.

    I've heard horror stories about this, from bikes getting destroyed to
    bike cases getting destroyed ("Yes, your bike case saved us from having
    to pay $5000 to buy you a new bike, but we won't pay you the $500 to buy
    you a new bike case") to bikes getting lost completely. If I weren't
    driving to my races, I'd opt for the "ship to a bike shop" option.

    --Harold Buck

    "Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."

    -Homer J. Simpson

  5. Mike C

    Mike C Guest

    I too have heard the stories of flying with the bike yourself and only
    did that one time to a race about a dozen years ago...since then I've
    shipped it prior to my arrival and it has worked pretty well for me.
    For IMAZ I'm planning on driving down so this will be one less thing to
    worry about!

    Both UPS and Fed-Ex have done a good job for me in shipping to races,
    and of course it's traceable and insurable. As mentioned in my post,
    the TriBike Transport guys have had nothing but rave reviews as well.

    Mike C

    Harold Buck wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Mike C" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > 3) Fly with it and deal with it yourself. Many pros and cons to this
    > > approach as you note regarding the cost of flying it there. You'll
    > > need to decide for yourself which is the best cost-to-grief (or lack
    > > thereof) ratio in your case.

    > I've heard horror stories about this, from bikes getting destroyed to
    > bike cases getting destroyed ("Yes, your bike case saved us from having
    > to pay $5000 to buy you a new bike, but we won't pay you the $500 to buy
    > you a new bike case") to bikes getting lost completely. If I weren't
    > driving to my races, I'd opt for the "ship to a bike shop" option.
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."
    >
    > -Homer J. Simpson

  6. >>I've heard horror stories about this, from bikes getting destroyed to
    >>bike cases getting destroyed

    Well thats not born out by my experience. Yes I've had a few close
    calls where the bike missed my flight the worse being flying
    London-Australia-LA-Ontario-Edmonton for the 2001 ITU Wolrds, my bike
    got left in LA and only showed up the morning of the bike check-in.

    Generally though on direct flights its a non-issue. I've done well over
    100 with my bike including two round the world multi-stop desinations.
    Yes, all four wheels have been bust of my Scicon case, yes its pretty
    scratched but the only time the bike was damaged was when I left a FF
    Seat tube lose in the box.

    I do have to pay the $80 each trip, each way when I fly American
    domestic, but flying transatlantic don't pay as its included in my
    luggage allowance. I've written all this up and lots more at:
    http://www.tri-force.org/flying_with_bikes.html

    I've never used a shipping service but at IM Florida last year a lot
    did! The other thing you need to consider why taking the bike yourself
    is the number of bikes that the plane can hold. Each year we have
    trouble with people flying from the UK with a budget airline to IM
    Asutria. They just can't take the bikes if everyone books on the same
    one or two flights, which they do.

  7. cdorn

    cdorn Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:48:42 -0600, "RAS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    >my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    >they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.
    >
    >thanks

    Ship with Fed Ex or UPS to the Hotel you are staying at.
    Chris

  8. MK

    MK Guest

    I bought a bike travel case and flew my bike myself. No horror story
    here.

    I looked into FedEx and UPS, too expensive, then again, I went to
    Hawaii, so these costs were based via their air service.

    Mark

  9. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "MK" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought a bike travel case and flew my bike myself. No horror story
    > here.

    When people tell you to wear your seatbelt, an uneventful trip to the
    bank and back without a seatbelt doesn't prove that the advice is not to
    be heeded.

    Not that I can swear by either method, but the point isn't that bad
    things will happen every time if you take your bike on the plane, but
    that there is perhaps a higher than acceptable risk.

    --Harold Buck

    "Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."

    -Homer J. Simpson

  10. I purchased a Trico Iron Case (watch for them on eBay sometimes you can
    save about $100 for a used one). I've traveled with my bike and opt to
    pay the additional airline surcharge. Note that some airlines don't
    charge, others do ($50 or $80) & some forget to charge at the counter.
    Personally, I prefer the security of knowing that my bike is with me --
    sort of a toss up, either trust that it will be delivered, stored and
    secured sufficiently at the hotel before you arrive or that the airline
    is going to deliver your case with the rest of your baggage. I've not
    had any problems (yet) traveling with my bike on the airline.

    --
    Bryan Woodruff
    Redmond, WA

    "MK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]:

    > I bought a bike travel case and flew my bike myself. No horror story
    > here.
    >
    > I looked into FedEx and UPS, too expensive, then again, I went to
    > Hawaii, so these costs were based via their air service.
    >
    > Mark

  11. Triguy

    Triguy Guest

    Inside-Out Sports in Cary, NC will take care of everything for you. Go to
    their website at www.insideoutsports.com for more details. If the detail is
    not available yet, call them at 888-343-6313 and choose IM services to talk
    to someone about your options.

    "RAS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    > my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    > they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

  12. RAS

    RAS Guest

    Beautiful!!

    Thanks for the wealth of info!!! I bought a trico iron case on ebay for
    $186 so i'm kewl.
    Also I am looking at booking with Americawest who will ship my bike with me
    as part of
    my flight price. The problem is, they have not resumed service to New
    Orleans which is where
    I live. I have this solved also, i will take the 5 hour drive to Houston and
    fly to Phoenix from
    there. They have cheap flights as well right now for anyone interesting.
    Less than $200 round trip and free bike shipping. I missed ironman florida
    in panama city but i will cross that finish line in arizona in april!!!

    thanks to everyone for your input....see you in Tempe!!!

    randy

    "RAS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm flying to Ironman Arizona. I'm told it will cost $80 each way to bring
    > my bike unless I fly with Americawest who is offering free bike shipping.
    > they don't fly out of my town though. any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

  13. God-willing, barring any injuries... maybe I will see you in Tempe. :)

    I'll also be out on the course w/ the training camp at the end of
    February. I heard back from Heather Fuhr (in connection with
    Multisports) that there will be a change to the bike course in Arizona
    but it will still be three loops. She was waiting to hear back from the
    race directors (Roch Frey and Paul Huddle) for confirmation.

    The Ironman Arizona camp information can be found here:
    http://www.multisports.com/camp_im_az.shtml

    --
    Bryan Woodruff
    Redmond, WA