how do you get your THRILLS in the backcountry?

Bw

Guest
I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

wilderness.

What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills. I'm
currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
www.chromo11.com

If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.

Thanks

Brendan email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

I use the lightest possible fishing tackle so any fish, no matter how small, seems to be a monster.
I talk to each one for a moment or two and then put it back. Unless it's late in the day, I'm
hungry, and the fish is labeled "trout".

"BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

> wilderness.

I like sneaking up on bears and giving them a good whack or two over the head with my hiking poles.

- BA

> What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
>
> I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
> I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
> www.chromo11.com
>
> If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
> find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
> leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brendan email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

[email protected] (BW) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
> What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

Sunsets and sunrises are always great.

Waking up at 3AM to go pee, and getting distracted on the way to the "facilities" by the fact that
the stars are so bright I don't need my flashlight, even with no moon.

Seeing mother black bear and her two cubs. Both good and bad that the little family was 1000 feet
down the slope of the hill. I could not see very clearly, but I felt fairly confident that they were
not going to be coming after me.

That first bite of supper after a 6 hour hike.

Getting to the top of a hill that I turned back on last year due to the weather being colder than I
was prepared for.

Taking a waypoint on my brand new shiny GPS unit.

Spotting wildlife in general. This year I saw grouse in a mating display, a red-headed woodpecker,
and a great blue heron. Plus hundreds of wild geese, many loons, uncountable squirrels and
chipmunks, whiskey jacks, jays, etc.

Four days of hiking on the Bruce trail and only seeing two people. Socks

Summit a mountain above the treeline. The 200 km views are breathtaking. No artificial substances or
activities are required.

It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 81% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Woods and wilderness are for Rest and Relaxation!!

Daily life is my excitement. In the woods, I get to REALLY focus on very basic requirements: Lots of
walking/hiking carrying the stuff I need. Making my place to sleep Preparing meals with very limited
ingredients and stuff Paying attention to nature so she doesn't whack me Paying attention to nature
cuz she is so beautiful Taking care of my feet.

"BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

> wilderness.
>
> What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
>
> I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
> I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
> www.chromo11.com
>
> If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
> find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
> leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
>
> Thanks
>
> Br
Tn

On 15 Oct 2003 03:53:47 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:

>I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

>wilderness.
>
>What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
>
>I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills. I'm
>currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
>www.chromo11.com
>
>If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
>find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
>leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
>
>Thanks
>
>Brendan email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

The backcountry usually brings the thrills to my tent door.

Northern Lights! Loons Calling!! Wolves Calling!!! Thunderstorms! Snowstorms!!! Absolutely still
mornings where the lake in front of my tent is like glass and the tiny splash of a minnow can be
heard 100 yards away.

g.c.

In truth- I probably go to the woods to avoid thrills. In other words, I get enough surprises in my
real life- drama at home, stuff coming up a work, etc.. In the woods, there are few surprises. If
you prepare approprately, no real problems seems to come up out there. It's meditative more than it
is some sort of a rush.

"BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

> wilderness.
>
> What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

Inhaled 'incense' and sat in a tree, diggin' the sunny scenary, mon.

Shaun aRe

[email protected] (BW) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
> I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site

extreeeeeem tiddlywinks

JD

> [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
> > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
>
> extreeeeeem tiddlywinks
>
> JD

Heheheheheheheh! That's the first time you've made me laugh in quite a while, you usually rather
dull *******.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Though I've always had problems getting the duct tape to
stick to the whipped cream.

Lou W wrote:
> "Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.
>>
> Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Though I've always had problems getting the duct tape to
> stick to the whipped cream.

It's really quite simple. Duct tape first, then toppings and garnish to taste.

news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related
> > > thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on
> > > the web-site
> >
> > extreeeeeem tiddlywinks
> >
> > JD
>
> Heheheheheheheh! That's the first time you've made me laugh in quite a while, you usually rather
> dull *******.

Somebody had to, you humourless dolt.

JD

You've all been very generous in your comments. Some contrasting opinions about the thrill of the
backcountry which I'm enjoying. I'm going to start a new thread titled "backcountry thrill
interview is here".

If you've got time please do the interview....

Thanks, and I'll see you in the new thread

Brendan

BW wrote:
> What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

Wadda'ya mean backcountry? I live there 'n there ain't no thrills around. If I wan't thrills I take
my bike to the city and ride it in semi rushhour traffic, before it gets all bogged down.

--
Perre

I go parachuting (Im doing a RAPS course to get a Cat 8 licence), and thats in the country.

Its good fun too :)

Cheers, Tom

Pete Hickey wrote:
> It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

My kind of guy.

Arnold