how do you get your THRILLS in the backcountry?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bw, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Bw

    Bw Guest

    I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    wilderness.

    What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

    I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills. I'm
    currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    www.chromo11.com

    If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
    find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
    leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.

    Thanks

    Brendan email: [email protected][dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    I use the lightest possible fishing tackle so any fish, no matter how small, seems to be a monster.
    I talk to each one for a moment or two and then put it back. Unless it's late in the day, I'm
    hungry, and the fish is labeled "trout".

  3. "BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    > wilderness.

    I like sneaking up on bears and giving them a good whack or two over the head with my hiking poles.

    - BA

    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
    >
    > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
    > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    > www.chromo11.com
    >
    > If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
    > find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
    > leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brendan email: [email protected][dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

  4. Puppet Sock

    Puppet Sock Guest

    [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

    Sunsets and sunrises are always great.

    Waking up at 3AM to go pee, and getting distracted on the way to the "facilities" by the fact that
    the stars are so bright I don't need my flashlight, even with no moon.

    Seeing mother black bear and her two cubs. Both good and bad that the little family was 1000 feet
    down the slope of the hill. I could not see very clearly, but I felt fairly confident that they were
    not going to be coming after me.

    That first bite of supper after a 6 hour hike.

    Getting to the top of a hill that I turned back on last year due to the weather being colder than I
    was prepared for.

    Taking a waypoint on my brand new shiny GPS unit.

    Spotting wildlife in general. This year I saw grouse in a mating display, a red-headed woodpecker,
    and a great blue heron. Plus hundreds of wild geese, many loons, uncountable squirrels and
    chipmunks, whiskey jacks, jays, etc.

    Four days of hiking on the Bruce trail and only seeing two people. Socks

  5. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    Summit a mountain above the treeline. The 200 km views are breathtaking. No artificial substances or
    activities are required.

  6. Pete Hickey

    Pete Hickey Guest

    It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 81% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
    fried dog and fried cat?

  7. Ttt

    Ttt Guest

    Woods and wilderness are for Rest and Relaxation!!

    Daily life is my excitement. In the woods, I get to REALLY focus on very basic requirements: Lots of
    walking/hiking carrying the stuff I need. Making my place to sleep Preparing meals with very limited
    ingredients and stuff Paying attention to nature so she doesn't whack me Paying attention to nature
    cuz she is so beautiful Taking care of my feet.

    "BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    > wilderness.
    >
    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
    >
    > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
    > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    > www.chromo11.com
    >
    > If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
    > find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
    > leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Br
    Tn

  8. On 15 Oct 2003 03:53:47 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:

    >I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    >wilderness.
    >
    >What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
    >
    >I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills. I'm
    >currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    >www.chromo11.com
    >
    >If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
    >find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
    >leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Brendan email: [email protected][dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

    The backcountry usually brings the thrills to my tent door.

    Northern Lights! Loons Calling!! Wolves Calling!!! Thunderstorms! Snowstorms!!! Absolutely still
    mornings where the lake in front of my tent is like glass and the tiny splash of a minnow can be
    heard 100 yards away.

    g.c.

  9. Tallboy

    Tallboy Guest

    In truth- I probably go to the woods to avoid thrills. In other words, I get enough surprises in my
    real life- drama at home, stuff coming up a work, etc.. In the woods, there are few surprises. If
    you prepare approprately, no real problems seems to come up out there. It's meditative more than it
    is some sort of a rush.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    > wilderness.
    >
    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

    Inhaled 'incense' and sat in a tree, diggin' the sunny scenary, mon.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (BW) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
    > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site

    extreeeeeem tiddlywinks

    JD

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
    > > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    >
    > extreeeeeem tiddlywinks
    >
    > JD

    Heheheheheheheh! That's the first time you've made me laugh in quite a while, you usually rather
    dull bastard.

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  13. Lou W

    Lou W Guest

    "Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

    Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Though I've always had problems getting the duct tape to
    stick to the whipped cream.

  14. D Chadduck

    D Chadduck Guest

    Lou W wrote:
    > "Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.
    >>
    > Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Though I've always had problems getting the duct tape to
    > stick to the whipped cream.

    It's really quite simple. Duct tape first, then toppings and garnish to taste.

  15. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Lou W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.
    > >
    > Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Though I've always had problems getting the duct tape to
    > stick to the whipped cream.

    Do you think the op could incorporate this into a disneyland thrill ride mmm.

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > > [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related
    > > > thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on
    > > > the web-site
    > >
    > > extreeeeeem tiddlywinks
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Heheheheheheheh! That's the first time you've made me laugh in quite a while, you usually rather
    > dull bastard.

    Somebody had to, you humourless dolt.

    JD

  17. Bw

    Bw Guest

    You've all been very generous in your comments. Some contrasting opinions about the thrill of the
    backcountry which I'm enjoying. I'm going to start a new thread titled "backcountry thrill
    interview is here".

    If you've got time please do the interview....

    Thanks, and I'll see you in the new thread

    Brendan

  18. BW wrote:
    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?

    Wadda'ya mean backcountry? I live there 'n there ain't no thrills around. If I wan't thrills I take
    my bike to the city and ride it in semi rushhour traffic, before it gets all bogged down.

    --
    Perre

  19. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I go parachuting (Im doing a RAPS course to get a Cat 8 licence), and thats in the country.

    Its good fun too :)

    Cheers, Tom

    "BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

    > wilderness.
    >
    > What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
    >
    > I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills.
    > I'm currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
    > www.chromo11.com
    >
    > If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
    > find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
    > leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brendan email: [email protected][dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

  20. Arnold

    Arnold Guest

    Pete Hickey wrote:
    > It involves whipped cream, cherries, duct tape, and midgets, but that's all I'll tell you.

    My kind of guy.

    Arnold