how do you get your THRILLS in the backcountry?

On 18 Oct 2003 01:37:53 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:

>You've all been very generous in your comments. Some contrasting opinions about the thrill of the
>backcountry which I'm enjoying. I'm going to start a new thread titled "backcountry thrill
>interview is here".
>
>If you've got time please do the interview....
>
>Thanks, and I'll see you in the new thread

There is the classic quote from HDT:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of
life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that
I had not lived."

Different people go for many different reasons, and generalizing will not work well for this.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 18 Oct 2003 01:37:53 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:
>
> >You've all been very generous in your comments. Some contrasting opinions about the thrill of the
> >backcountry which I'm enjoying. I'm going to start a new thread titled "backcountry thrill
> >interview is here".
> >
> >If you've got time please do the interview....
> >
> >Thanks, and I'll see you in the new thread
> >
> There is the classic quote from HDT:
>
> "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of
> life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover
> that I had not lived."
>
> Different people go for many different reasons, and generalizing will not work well for this.
>
> Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
> at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence
>
> Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

Did you really miss the whole point of the guy's post? Are you obtuse?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:16:06 -0400, "MLL" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On 18 Oct 2003 01:37:53 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:
>>
>> Different people go for many different reasons, and generalizing will not work well for this.
>>
>> Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
>
>Did you really miss the whole point of the guy's post? Are you obtuse?

Not obtuse, apparently just your favorite target.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > [email protected] (BW) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
with

> > > extreeeeeem tiddlywinks
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Heheheheheheheh! That's the first time you've made me laugh in quite a while, you usually rather
> > dull *******.
>
> Somebody had to, you humourless dolt.

I have more humour in my left big toe nail than you have in your entire tutu, you silly great
fruitacake, and I don't even have a left big toe nail.

Shaun aRe

Flying over the ground at high speed, separated from my bike, knowing its the last time i'll be
without pain for a few weeks

On 15 Oct 2003 03:53:47 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:

>I've been searching for answers to this question. Mountainbiking,

>wilderness.
>
>What have you done in the backcountry that's given you a thrill in the past?
>
>I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your backcountry related thrills. I'm
>currently conducting interviews with people about their personal experiences on the web-site
>www.chromo11.com
>
>If you've got something to say on the subject, please visit the site and take an interview. You'll
>find a set of short, but carefully crafted questions which you can download and answer at your
>leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the project.
>
>Thanks
>
>Brendan email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com web: www.chromo11.com

> I have more humour in my left big toe nail than you have in your entire tutu, you silly great
> fruitacake, and I don't even have a left big toe
nail.

> Shaun aRe

That's not funny.

"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:16:06 -0400, "MLL" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> On 18 Oct 2003 01:37:53 -0700, [email protected] (BW) wrote:
> >>
> >> Different people go for many different reasons, and generalizing will not work well for this.
> >>
> >> Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
> >
> >Did you really miss the whole point of the guy's post? Are you obtuse?
> >
> Not obtuse, apparently just your favorite target.
>
> Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
> at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence
>
> Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

Gary, You are master of the obvious and you often respond to some of the dumbest questions without
any hint that you know they are silly questions...at best designed to waste your time. Stop
falling for it.

"The moderator" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I have more humour in my left big toe nail than you have in your entire tutu, you silly great
> > fruitacake, and I don't even have a left big toe
> nail.
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> That's not funny.

But it _is_ true.

Shaun aRe - It's obvious you really don't know even Jock Duff's 'Usenetself', heh.........

If you've got time. Could some of you help with my research and take the time to be interviewed?
I'll edit the results and post it on the website www.chromo11.com along with an illustration. You'll
see that I'm interested in specific examples of things that have happened to you. I'm not out to
draw any sweeping conclusions about you, or your area of interest. Visitors to the site will just
get a feel just by reading your interview.

I hope you can help.

ABOUT YOU
==========

1.Q Tell me about the first time you remember being thrilled.
2.A

3.Q What's the slightest thing to have thrilled you?
4.A

5.Q What's the most frightening yet thrilling thing you've done?
6.A

7.Q Tell me why you're not completely sensible.
8.A

9.Q What's the most uninhibited thing you've ever done?
10.A

11.Q What have you considered doing for pleasure but were too concerned about the risks?
12.A

YOUR THRILL
============
To answer these next 10 questions, you should think about a particular time you were thrilled.

13.Q Describe the event in one sentence (there's time to expand later)
14.A

15.Q Tell me a bit about yourself around this time.
16.A

17.Q List the sequence of events leading up to your thrill. Try to remember how you felt at each
stage. The smallest detail could be important (this is your chance to expand).
18.A

19.Q What were your thoughts and feelings at the precise moment of thrill?
20.A

21.Q What did you do afterwards?
22.A

23.Q What were the risks?
24.A

25.Q What did you imagine other people thought of you during and after the event?
26.A

27.Q How often do you think about the event, and why?
28.A

29.Q Some people probably don't understand how such a thing can thrill you; explain it to them.
30.A

31.Q What three changes could have made the experience better?
32.A

Just to get the record straight, could please tell me your name, age,

birthplace unless otherwise instructed)

name: age:

birthplace:

Could you email me a copy of your completed interview to interview@chromo11[dot]com Thanks.

Thrill. Thrill?

Well, I guess, mtn b?, you can grab your bike and gear and parachute into it if one really wanted to
get a rush. Doable if a little expensive.

I can think of a few dirt roads which were exciting enough to convince me that wearing a helmet was
a pretty good idea. Huff up them to start down involved a lot of non trivial pushing, none of this
lift assisted uphill like at ski resorts.