How do you guys / girls keep going?

Fooz

May 5, 2003
I've just got a small question regarding motivation after crashes...how do you keep going??

I've had four (yes 4!!) hard nasty crashes in the past few months, and am close to selling my bikes (all 3 of them!) :mad:

In October 2004 I had a nasty crash in the last 1km of a race...lots of bike damage - pretty much the frame survived (a Litespeed) and it took a few weeks to recover. In December, I was piloting a tandem, another crash...then in February, in the last 1km sprint of a race, another rider goes down, and slides in to my wheel...another crash, more bike damage. Then a week ago AGAIN in the last 1km of a mtb race, another rider knocks in to me, and a root decides to grab my front wheel and I get bodyslammed in to the trail....shoulder is all blue, tendons and ligaments hurt...and this one will take a few weeks to heal as well...

I'm starting to get really tired of having to repair bikes and hurting all the time. Ever tried sleeping with a shoulder thats in agony?? :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to find out from the forum how to cope with this amount of crashes and still keep going...else I'm taking up gholf!

Honestly, with that many crashes in that short of time, it may be time to look at your riding and situational skills. First off, if you are riding with glasses that block your peripheral vision, scratch those and get some glasses like Oakley M Frames or other glasses that allow full range of vision.

2nd, try doing some bumping practice. Get some buddies, put on your helmet and tennis shoes and go out in a grass field. Practice riding slowly and leaning on each other, touching wheels, and throw each other around a bit. Get comfortable bumping on the bike. Also, do a "last man riding game" where you shove each other around and you are out if you either fall or put your foot on the ground.....winner gets a few beers or something. Staying loose and relaxed is important for staying in control.

If you often race with the same guys, get used to watching out for the sketch riders, and try to stay at the front of the pack. Don`t put yourself in places where you shouldn`t be, or try to go in holes that just aren`t there. You say that you crashed twice with 1km to go, and chances are you were tight/tense which doesnt help when the inevitable bump happens.

Anyhow, a little practice with your mates in a grass field and your skills will quickly improve!

It sounds like your on the mountain bike. When I was on the MTB it was tough, there were a lot more falls out on the trail. Road bike riding is more controllable and you are less prone to wind up on the ground. Maybe it's time to stop riding the trail and hit the pavement. Also, racing is a tough life. Maybe you should stop racing so much and enjoy fun rides with clubs and friends. If these crashes are making you want to sell everything, then you need to change something because cycling should always be enjoyable. I would never sell my stuff.
If you are road racing, then you should try to get your bike to the front of the peleton, where there is less chance of crashing.
Good luck.

please please don't take up golf. I'm not bashing golf(my dad's a scratch golfer/instructor), its just... when you're out there, entering that course, and you see a rider fly by you, you're gonna shed some tears.

Fooz said:
I've just got a small question regarding motivation after crashes...how do you keep going??

I've had four (yes 4!!) hard nasty crashes in the past few months, and am close to selling my bikes (all 3 of them!) :mad:

In October 2004 I had a nasty crash in the last 1km of a race...lots of bike damage - pretty much the frame survived (a Litespeed) and it took a few weeks to recover. In December, I was piloting a tandem, another crash...then in February, in the last 1km sprint of a race, another rider goes down, and slides in to my wheel...another crash, more bike damage. Then a week ago AGAIN in the last 1km of a mtb race, another rider knocks in to me, and a root decides to grab my front wheel and I get bodyslammed in to the trail....shoulder is all blue, tendons and ligaments hurt...and this one will take a few weeks to heal as well...

I'm starting to get really tired of having to repair bikes and hurting all the time. Ever tried sleeping with a shoulder thats in agony?? :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to find out from the forum how to cope with this amount of crashes and still keep going...else I'm taking up gholf!
Sadly or strangely - People hurt themselves playing golf(or gholf) too - pulled ligaments, hitting other's with balls etc.
The advice given below sounds like good stuff to me.
Paulo :)

I'm not allowed to crash. Not once, I can't afford it. When I race, I think my objective will be to keep my competitors a good deal away from me. This doesn't bode well for actually winning, though.

Yes, I can't afford to crash either because I'm a poor college kid. I crashed twice last year and I hated it, just because I couldn't pedal for about 2 weeks.

Bumping practice do help, I think. I don't practice but I've done it during the race at the finish line hitting elbows and shoulder and etc... I thought it was really fun actually :D

It all depends on your passion. I've had my share of cycling accidents, but I can't go 5 minutes without thinking about my bike and me on it. You really just have to look to yourself. If I were to give up cycling, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. It's my escape from this chaotic world. My friends don't understand why I'm soo obessed, but that's fine. I understand and that is all that matters.

If you have 3 bikes, you gotta be somewhat serious/passionate about cycling, don't let crashes slow you down. Unless you're in serious risk of severly hurting yourself, don't stop pursuing your passion of cycling.

My philosophy is I simply don't want to crash - period. If that means going slower downhill, so be it. If it means riding with hands on the brakes and watching every sign for ruts, hazzards and the like, that's fine by me. I keep my fingers crossed I won't crash since, if I do, it will knock my confidence a lot. I don't fancy the idea of my 190 pound plus frame being dashed against hard concrete. I always wear my helmet as well.

Fooz said:

Well, I used to race a bit and took a few spills (all during races). I realized that with the adreanalin flowing in a race most of us cut our safety margins down somewhat and sometimes someone gets bit by that. So I quit racing, that was almost 20 yrs ago. Now I'll ride real hard with my club rides but if it starts feeling squirelly, I'll just back off. Other days I can still put a hurt on my pals. I dont have to prove anything and I actually enjoy the rides.

I ended last Fall with a bad crash -- broken hip, separated AC joint in the shoulder and lots of road rash. Sleeping with a shoulder that is in agony is no problem when the hip hurts.

Since I assume that you will not be using the money from the sale of your bikes to buy a wheel chair or a rocking chair, DON'T SELL THEM. Get back out there and if you are worried about crashing in a race, don't race, but keep riding.

My deal with myself was to get back on the bike as soon as the weather warmed up and train for my first century. The only person who objects is my wife you keeps worrying about my crash. The people who love the deal the best are my kids who ask me every time a get home "did you fall down again?" Nothing like loving, sarcastic children to keep you motivated.