How do you handle aggresive chasing dogs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tbuc, Nov 24, 2004.

1. tbuc

tbuc New Member

Just wondering. Had a close call the other day with a chasing dog. I was out in front a bit, so I was able to "step on it" and get away.

Tags:

2. davidbod

davidbod New Member

Dogs most often missjudge your speed and coming from the side are too late if you get your pedals going, so I do option 1 first. Some are better than others though, so option 2 is a fall back. Once a friend and I were riding and a dog jumped us and was right with us while we were trying to sprint away. When the dog was at full speed and still alongside my friend just nudged it with his foot and the thing did about 6 rolls before comning to a stop.

3. Paralax

Paralax New Member

I find the Sig P238 9mm will really take care of business, but there is a weight penalty. Also, it looks a little funny under a jersey.

4. grampy bone

grampy bone New Member

Since I ride on back country roads, I am chased all the time. I try to talk to the dog like I'm its friend. Most of the time, the dogs tail will wag, and I know it won't bite. I only do this if I am being chased up hill. Otherwise, I will just try and outrun the dog.

5. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

I yell at the dog to "STOP!!!:mad: ", "GO AWAY!!!:mad: " and "SIT!!!:mad: "

Ussually they just lose intrest but if they continue to chase they'll have a close encounter with my Blackburn Mini Pump:D

6. velomanct

velomanct New Member

I am a sprint adict, so when giving to opurtunity to lay it out, I do. I have yet to meet a dog who could come close to me. They lose interest after a few seconds of chasing anyways.

7. till!

till! New Member

Sometimes you cant just sprint away though.

I was in china cycle touring, and it was uphill. I rode over towards the dog, told my partner to hop it. This is where clipless pedals rock, I had the dog on my left, so I unhooked my left foot, and kicked at it to keep it back a bit, while pedaling with only my right leg, steered with my left hand, while fumbling around with my right for the D-lock...

till

8. chizlr40

chizlr40 New Member

most dogs only like to chase so as long as you maintain a decent pace they dont lunge for you. i have had them chase for 1/4 mile or more and only bark. cycling in the country on dirt roads this seems to work for me.after 20 years no dog has done more than scare the hell out of me with their barking.

9. James Bruce Gil

James Bruce Gil New Member

I attempt different things in different circumstances.

I have noticed that dogs are always looking towards you as they chase and are not actually watching where they are going;

If small noisy dog and I am travelling relatively slowly, I brake heavily and attempt to run over dog. This stops them chasing, but can cause owners to get SH1Tees.

If it is a larger dog and its safe to do, (that is there is not much traffic about and no pedestrians etc), I attempt to run them into a pole or tree by barking back at them and steering very close to same. If they hit the obstruction it seems to cure them of chasing me at least. If they miss it seems to confuse them enough that they stop chasing till next time. Eventually it works on all but the most stupid of dogs. :D

Kind regards,

Other wise I just continue on my way, coasting if possible.

10. gills

gills New Member

There are a lot of dogs out here in Iowa who live on farms on rural roads.
    Usually if a dog is chasing & does'nt give up I yell at the dog very loudly
    and say " WHAT ARE YOU DOING? " " GO HOME!!! " try to sound
    like his disgruntled master. It really works and has yet to fail me.

11. DanP

DanP New Member

So for reference, does anyone know how fast an average dog can run, and how for long?

12. James Bruce Gil

James Bruce Gil New Member

I would guess that the average dog can run 40+ km/h for an hour at least.

I don't know for sure, but I had two dogs (an Australian Kelpie & a Blue Cattle dog) that ran 32 kilometers every morning on the road with me. Mostly they ran ahead of me and I used to do it in a very casual 55 minutes. (The blue cattle dog use to stop to mix it with any dog that came running out and then catch up with me).

I suppose if you are a gun cyclist you could out run them after a while, but don't attempt it up hill. :D

Kind regards,

13. Sprint2Win

Sprint2Win New Member

Pepper spray.
    Not the weak stuff either.:D

14. taco_bob

taco_bob New Member

Depends on the dog. I usually try to get away, then shout NO! (most dogs have been trained with the command NO!). Many years ago, I was ambushed by a pit bull that was hiding in the weeds. It was ahead and running toward me, so I opted to turn around, but that takes time, and it was at my left heel before I could get any speed back. I have seen what a pit bull can do to a person, so I was terrified. I looked down at the dog as it lunged for my ankle every time it came around and imagined what it would be like to walk with a severed Achilles tendon (can that be fixed?). I reached for my frame pump with my left hand and lifted it high overhead by the handle. As I swung down, polo style, like my life depended on it, the pump extended and I watched the heavy end hit the dog square on the nose hard enough to break bones and teeth (I was amazed at my aim as I had never tried anything like that before, but I was highly motivated). Unfortunately, I had used 105% of my mental and physical power to defend myself and -5% to control the bike. Somehow, I turned the front wheel so sharply that it tacoed and the bike endoed and I went flying and hit my bare head on the pavement. When I came to, I immediately started looking for a weapon, but the dog was not in sight. Soon after that, I bought my first bike helmet.

15. DanP

DanP New Member

That being the case I'll stick to what I've done before: slow down and prepare to dismount while yelling commands at the dog - figure I can defend myself better holding the bike between myself and the dog than risking a fall and being on the ground with an excited dog...

Of couse this may be different for the supermen on this site, but I can't hold 25mph for any worthwile time.

16. mrowkoob

mrowkoob New Member

I speed up too. The dog usually defends a territory and will only pursue a very short distance. I´ve hd problem with cats... hehe not chasing me but sprinting out in front of you. A friend of mine gat a cat in his front wheel another hit a Deer! Always wear a helmet.

17. cyclistfreak89

cyclistfreak89 New Member

lol!!! thats just great...

18. allezkmiec

allezkmiec New Member

I've been chased by several dogs who were able to stick with me well over 25 MPH, and on one memorable occasion, was chased by a greyhound (!!!). That dog was right at my side at 34-35, I finally just squirted it with my bottle. I think the gatorade surprised it; probably thought its prey had peed on it!

19. joule

joule New Member

Course if you can, sprint away. If not, a quick short shout usually catches them off guard and causes them to pause for a second or two. Usually enough to deal with them. Then there was the time I had three barn yard dogs greet me near the top of a decent size hill. Sprinting was out and shouting was useless. Had to dismount and use my bike as a shield and try to walk away. Was quite an ordeal.

20. tbuc

tbuc New Member

Greyhounds! I have two at home. I can't imagine a greyhound getting motivated enough to get up, let alone maintaining intrest long enough to chase someone down. Heck my Greyhounds wont even bark! Running away, now I can see that. Must have been some sort of evil cross bred variety.