How do you handle aggresive chasing dogs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tbuc, Nov 24, 2004.

1. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Where's the option for "All of the above" or "Whatever works"???!!!! :D :D

Jeff

2. professor

professor New Member

I also vote for pepper spray. With one well known dog on one of my favorite training routes, who had taken chunks of flesh from quite a few unwary cyclists, one squirt of pepper spray completely altered the dog's behavior, permanently! (No, it did not kill him...)

3. James Bruce Gil

James Bruce Gil New Member

tbuc

Your feeding them too much.

4. joule

joule New Member

See what happens when a dog eats too many cyclists!

5. tbuc

tbuc New Member

My greyhounds "in action". (click thumbnail)

6. James Bruce Gil

tbuc,

If I had the option of the comfortable lounge or chasing cyclist I'd choose the lounge every time too!

Kind regards, :p

7. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Nice idea!!! thanks, i will try it ...

P.S. I mean the part of "just squirted it with my bottle", I'm not thinking about "peed on it" ... :D

8. artwerker

artwerker New Member

I usually get away by peddling fast, but if they are in the street and waiting in front of me, I wait to see if they are going to run at me. Then I turn towards them a little. They usually back up or run the other way. This throws them off balance. Don't run over the dog!;)

9. hifi-hospital

hifi-hospital New Member

An interesting thread as I sit here recuperating from a very painful collarbone surgery!!!! :( A very large Germen Shepard/Wolf ran out to attack the rider in front of me and I T-Boned it at 25+mph. :eek: My friends said that I flew for 30 feet before I came crashing to the asphalt breaking ribs and crushing my collarbone. Well, I did enjoy my new $80 Vredestein high-pressure tires for the 71 miles that I rode before the dog. I also toasted my front Campy Proton. I am really put out by people that keep aggressive dogs!!! :mad: The fellow at the house ran out in the street where I was sprawled out and said that it wasn’t his dog before he asked if I was hurt! The animal control officer called my wife to tell us that all evidence of dogs have been removed from the house but he will make a surprise visit in a few months. He said he just hates when people lie to him.
    I’m all for the pepper spray. Lets train the dogs to help protect our friends from my fate.

10. Iankatz

Iankatz New Member

I was riding once while I was walking my Greatdane, and it bit me on my ass during the sprint home. it left a big ass mark.

11. James Bruce Gil

IK,

It sounds like you've got a competative dog there. Best let him win I think :D

Kind regards,

12. yancy0303

yancy0303 New Member

I use a water bottle and since 1 of my routes has several lose dogs on it, I carry along a few doggie treats in my jersey and toss them as necessary.

13. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

And you wonder why the dogs are chasing you?

14. ghsmith54

ghsmith54 New Member

It depends. If riding by myself I'll try a lot of the things already suggested: outsprinting, shouting "no", spraying with water bottle, etc. If riding with someone else, to paraphrase the old joke about the bear: "I don't need to outsprint the dog, I just need to outsprint my riding partner"

Greg

15. James Bruce Gil

GHS,

I don't know that that approach always works. My oldest son seems to attract aggresive animals of any sort. Everything from mosquitoes through to crocodiles seem to have a liking for him.

It wouldn't matter if he rode a hundred miles per hour and the dog will always choose to harrass him out of a group.

Problem is he doesn't always ride with me. :D

KInd regards,

16. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

I know the "no-go areas" around here. And if you would get a problem with a dog in USA.... you guys can sew the owner for a million dollar right?

It pisses me off here that there are roads where one can not pass because the owner let's his dog run free. If you pass a hundred times, a hundred times the dog will chase you.

B.

17. hifi-hospital

hifi-hospital New Member

Hello Bianchi Euro,
    I think that the litigation aspect is why the people that saw the dog take-me-down, ran out in the street and told me that it wasn't their dog . . .he just hangs out in their yard. . . Before they even asked if I was hurt!! I hate frivolous lawsuits because it just lets the lawyers get rich! But I do feel that owners of dogs need to take responsibility for their dogs. My hospital bills are at $21,000 and climbing. :( It will all work out in the end. I do know that I'll handle dogs differently in the future though. They will get some encouragement not to chase bikes from my pepper spray! :D

18. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Hi,

The "annimal control Officer"???!!! :eek: :eek: :D
    Well here in Europe nowadays we're used to weird Americans. We see your president on t.v. here, but the annimal control officer.....

Believe it or not here in Europe we have an annimal ambulance (I am not kidding now). Imagine what can happen. You get jammed by a dog and the dog ambulance arrives first....

There's a lot that I do not like about USA. However the legal practice looked so good to me. Yes, of course it is exaggerated. But still it's very sad to hear that this is the way it finally works out. Over here when I would be in you're situation there's probably little chance that you're going to receive any money at all. Not a good stimulation for dog owners to do the right thing, right?

They just NEVER give a penalty in Holland. There was this guy. He got killed for fun at the street. The foot prints of the sport shoe of the killer (who was kicking against his head) was on the victims face. The killers got away with it by lack of evidence. How do you want to claim for a collision with a dog overhere?....

The point is overhere everyone can do anything without being penalized. Especially companies have nothing to worry about their illegal actions. The system in USA is exaggerated but over here it is just as bad, but the other way.

But how do you spray at 25 Mph? Usually steering to avoid collision is easier than spraying at the dog.

I am a sailor. If I go to poor countries, as soon as I leave the port to go into town there used to be about 50 guys chasing me. I have to buy this, I have to take a look at that I have to meet their beautiful daugther who cooks so well. After a while I created something around me that has incredible power. My collegues were chased by 50 guys each and less than 10 meter away I was standing still all alone. You just have to pay no attention AT ALL. Works 300 times better than I had expected.

I have quite some experience with jogging and dogs. I realized that if you pay no attention at all, over 99% percent of the dogs will not attack. Be sure not to wear any ringing keys, coins etc.

Just that one dog left on that road overhere where "no man can pass". In another thread initialized by a lunatic on this forum maybe is the answer >>>
    "Do you carry a gun when cycling?" :D :D :D

19. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Hifi-hospital (it's in a name),

Forgot one thing.. Good luck to you. Hope you're back on your bike soon!

Regards, Frank.

20. DanP

DanP New Member

Wow, here is the thing: I'm pretty sure I'm a below average cyclist, but still holding 25mph for any lenght of time is a conscious effort.

Working to get near 30mph on a flat and holding that would be all out for me, blind effort.

Thinking that at 35mph regular folks would have enough time / control to let go of the handlebar to grab a bottle and aim it to a chasing dog is a bit tough to digest.

And of course this infers that one is a lone rider, not in a pack.

Don't mean to question anyone, just wondering if I'm really that inadequate since I've only been cycling for a couple of years.