How do you handle aggresive chasing dogs?

I broke my femur before I learned how chasing-dogs think. Dogs do not understand traffic. If a dog is chasing a bike he is completely un-aware of what is behind him. My dog quit chasing the bike in front of me, and U-turned INTO my front wheel. He got caught in the fork and spokes. My left leg, bike and dog stopped, the rest of me continued onward and upward snapping my left femur. Lesson: If a dog is chasing someone ahead of you - YELL so that he looks at you. Otherwise you risk him turning in front of you when he gives up the chase.

After learning this, I mentioned it to other riders in my club. They had seen one dog chase a pickup truck, and then get run over by the boat trailer being pulled by the same truck. Dogs don't understand traffic. They lock-in on the chase.

I find that my .22 is adequate. Its lighter, smaller, and does less to ******** the neighborhood because its quieter, that is until they find their mut sniped. Is shooting peoples wild pets illegal if your life is being threatened and you're defending youself? I've never waited to be bitten which would require me to find out more about the legality of defending myself. I think the key is to aim, pull the trigger, and keep on riding. Here's another little tip - fingerless gloves are the way to go if you want to impove your shot.

Paralax said:
I find the Sig P238 9mm will really take care of business, but there is a weight penalty. Also, it looks a little funny under a jersey.

I can't believe it. Almost every post here talks about a confrontational method. Run over the dog, scream at it, hit it with your pump, pepper spray, bark, shoot it, spray it with water, etc. I used to try some of these but now I live in the country side where the riding is sweet but there are many dogs. I just slow down and tell it to go....the nicer the better. If I need to, I stop! I have NEVER been attacked by a dog while stopped but they have almost made me crash while riding!

hifi-hospital said:
... A very large Germen Shepard/Wolf ran out to attack the rider in front of me and I T-Boned it at 25+mph. ....
That's how I broke my femur. Dog was chasing the lady in front of me. The dog gave up the chase and got snarled up in my front wheel. If you're behind the rider getting chased - watch out!

Doggie death leashes are evil and stupid, and typically the dogs at the end of these things are over grown gerbals. Who gernerally have some type of complex in which they bark or chase anything with wheels, ie skateboards, roller blades, bikes etc... In the states the best and easiest way to get a dog not to chase you is

1. Animal control
2. Lawyer "the meaner the better" especailly if the idiot who lets the dog roam without supervision happens to own a nice home.
3. Handy dandy piece of copper wiring about 2 feet long, 8 guage and a good back swing

I love animals but doing back flips or somesaults on asphalt or in ditches because of a careless owner blows.

P:S Contary to popular belief "ducktape" will not fix a broken collar, wrist,leg,arm,neck or any other bone in the human body.

suckinwheel said:
I broke my femur before I learned how chasing-dogs think. Dogs do not understand traffic. If a dog is chasing a bike he is completely un-aware of what is behind him. My dog quit chasing the bike in front of me, and U-turned INTO my front wheel. He got caught in the fork and spokes. My left leg, bike and dog stopped, the rest of me continued onward and upward snapping my left femur. Lesson: If a dog is chasing someone ahead of you - YELL so that he looks at you. Otherwise you risk him turning in front of you when he gives up the chase.

After learning this, I mentioned it to other riders in my club. They had seen one dog chase a pickup truck, and then get run over by the boat trailer being pulled by the same truck. Dogs don't understand traffic. They lock-in on the chase.

This is a great point I hadn't considered. I suppose most people would instictively stay on their friends wheel during a dog chase. I think all would benefit from knowledge of your experience.

maynarddown said:
I find that my .22 is adequate. Its lighter, smaller, and does less to ******** the neighborhood because its quieter, that is until they find their mut sniped. Is shooting peoples wild pets illegal if your life is being threatened and you're defending youself? I've never waited to be bitten which would require me to find out more about the legality of defending myself. I think the key is to aim, pull the trigger, and keep on riding. Here's another little tip - fingerless gloves are the way to go if you want to impove your shot.

One of my workmates room mates was bitten by a pit bull while riding his motorcycle in the neighborhood. He rode home with blood dribbling from his leg and grabbed his 357, rode back to the house with the dog. The dog ran back out in the street and tried to bit him again. He blew it away right in front of the owner, who was screaming at him. He then rode home and tried to patch up his mangled leg. Shortly the Police showed up at his front door. He explained what had happened and showed them his gun and leg. They told him to go get medical help and that they felt bad that he was bitten, and to have a nice day! In South Carolina the dog laws state that when threatened by an animal that you can use lethal force to protect yourself.
I've got the shakes, so I just carry "Halt" pepper spray. My wife is ordering me a "Dog Dazer" though. I'll let you know how it works.

hifi-hospital said:
They told him to go get medical help and that they felt bad that he was bitten, and to have a nice day! In South Carolina the dog laws state that when threatened by an animal that you can use lethal force to protect yourself.
I don't think it's still self defense if you go out and provoke a dog with the express intent of killing it. The legal system may not be perfect, but I sleep well knowing that most people who go around looking for excuses to kill things don't live too long themselves.

artmichalek said:
I don't think it's still self defense if you go out and provoke a dog with the express intent of killing it. The legal system may not be perfect, but I sleep well knowing that most people who go around looking for excuses to kill things don't live too long themselves.

Hi Artmichalek,
I agree with you. I was just relaying the story for how the Police acted toward the fellow that was bitten. I think that he was foolish to discharge a gun with other people standing around. Thats why I carry Halt. I won't event use Halt if I'm riding in a group for fear of one of my buddies getting a wiff. I carry it in case I'm knocked down and attacked.
My wife said that we are up near $23,000 now because of my bike/dog wreck but I do realize it's the owners fault and not the animal.
Live Long and Perspire,
Doug

I had a very scary dog encounter my second ride ever on a road bike. I was definitely out of my league trying to ride a 65 mile hilly loop on a newly purchased used road bike with a horrible drive train. Yes, I know this sounds stupid but everyone does silly things when they're novices. Anyway the person I was riding with dropped me at about mile 30 and told me they'd meet me back at the car. And of course after they left I had some real issues and wrapped the chain around the frame so I couldn't even roll it. And I didn't have the tools to fix that (or honestly the knowledge).

So basically I was walking by mile 35 with a bike on my shoulder. After about an hour of walking and comtemplating the fact that this sport might not be for me. I came to a long hilly field of corn with a little farmstead way up top. I spied a large black dog sitting on the roof on a doghouse and was like 'oh how cute'.

Well he saw me, jumped off and I just saw the corn moving as he rushed towards me. Not so cute. So I moved to the other side of the road which of course dropped off to a steep ravine. Lovely. So highly motivated I decided to run to get as much space between me and the moving corn. As you can expect I didn't get too far and decided that if the dog saw me running that wouldn't help the situation.

So I turned to face the moving corn. A very large pitbull came rushing through into view, all teeth and growls. Oh my god I'm going to die basically was my first reaction. And without thinking I lifted the bike over my head and starting yelling like a crazied person. I jumped arounds screaming for what seemed like forever. And then the Pitbull just looked confused and stalked back off into the corn. I watched the rustling corn as he made his way back up the hill and was indescribeably relieved that I was still in one piece.

Lesson 1: Shouting and looking 'bigger' really does work
Lesson 2: Always carry dog mace in case you break down and are walking
Lesson 3: If you take novices with you DON'T leave them in the middle of a ride alone and if you have too have some way to communicate

And no worries, this happened 2 years ago and didn't discourage me from taking up cycling.

pedal fast for sure...encountered a rather aggressive one this morning...we all kept riding towards it...began to try biting wheels so we continues riding some one clipped his foot...he just looked at us when we rode past on the way back...dont think he'll be chasing us again anytime soon.

The squirt with the water bottle seems to work every time and seems to confuse the hell out of them.
As a rule if I can see the dog ahead of me and it's ears are up it usually means trouble and is potentially a worthy adversary so I have the water bottle in my hand.
If the ears are down it's usually a timid dog and safe to proceed with a bit of caution.

My buddies were riding the other day when a dog took off after them. One fellow shook his finger at the dog and said "No, No, Bad Dog". The dog took a chunk out of his finger!!! :eek: I know that he'll be careful arount fiesty mutts now just like I am! :)

"Dog-Bait", "Steel Collarbone" Doug

I bark back loud ......... and sprint away(I am by no means a fast twitch fiber guy/ I'm more so slow twitch- endurance) . Its the D-O-G in me, I guess :)

Paralax said:
I find the Sig P238 9mm will really take care of business, but there is a weight penalty. Also, it looks a little funny under a jersey.
I envy you, personally a S&W .357 snubby with semi jacketed hollow points, but they are illegal now in the UK

The only doggie encounter I've had was a long time ago. Used to be a paper boy when I was teenage, doing the round & saw this dog. Dog wasn't in it's front yard & wasn't locked in, it was roaming the street about 200m's from it's house. I see dog & then see dog running for me, go screw those next 3 houses I'm going down the street to the t-section. Dog gives up when I to other side of t-section. Next thing I see after doing 2 houses I see the dog rushing across the street, then bam car hit the dog.

No idea what happened to the dog, all I saw it got hit & thrown about 20m's. I just looked @ what had happened & thought, serve that dog. Then I just rode away.

On my current cycle route see no dogs, but I more concerned about the flying variety.... magpies in november, now they not fun

RC2 said:
Hmm, interesting. http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/

Anyone else try one of these?

After $23,000 in collarbone surgery, my wife bought a Dog Dazer for me. I had a chance to try it on a group ride the other night with two aggressive dogs that run into our pack every week. When I pointed it at the charging dogs, they stopped and squinted their eyes, shook their heads, and then ran full speed back toward their house. The group cheered. :D I’ve used it twice when riding on my own with the same results. The company does warn though that it doesn’t work with deaf dogs! :( I tried to measure its output and it appears to be and ultrasonic warble-tone at about 23kHz and over 120db. I think my wife got it at http://www.positive-works.com/dazer/index.cfm