How do you identify a fake?

robert bartsch

Dec 2, 2020
Well, lately I have been buying bikes and have come accros more than one that just isn't correct.

Since you can buy vintage decals and can color match, repaint, etc., I am assuming there are a few out ther.

Because I want to avoid this, I'm asking others here, what signs are they [you] are looking for when buying a bike that is supposed to be authentic.

I don't consider it a fake if an original is stripped down, repainted and fresh decals of the same vintage are applied and the owner discloses what has been done to the bike.

I support you, I'm also interested in how to determine whether the bike is original when buying from hand and what you need to pay attention to.

Identifying a fake can be a tricky task, but there are a few things that you can look out for when buying a bike that is supposed to be authentic.

Firstly, check the frame number. Most vintage bikes will have a serial number or frame number stamped into the metal. Check this number against any documentation that the seller has provided to ensure that it matches up. Secondly, check the components. Authentic vintage bikes will have components that are consistent with the era in which they were produced. For example, a bike from the 1970s should have components from that era rather than modern components that have been retrofitted. Check the brand and model of the components to ensure that they are authentic. Thirdly, look for any signs of wear or age. Authentic vintage bikes will often show signs of wear and tear, such as scratches or rust, which can be difficult to replicate. If a bike looks brand new despite being decades old, this could be a red flag.

Finally, do your research. If you are unsure about the authenticity of a bike, do some research online to find out more about the specific make and model. Look for any distinctive features or characteristics that you can use to identify whether the bike is authentic or not. You can also lookup the person selling the bike through free online websites whether they have previous incidents of fraudulent activities such as selling fake bikes or scamming people online.

By following these tips, you can increase your chances of identifying a fake bike and avoid being taken in by a fraudulent seller. Remember, if you have any doubts about a bike's authenticity, it's always better to err on the side of caution and walk away from the sale.

Hey! Love that you're taking the time to ensure a bike's authenticity. While identifying fakes can be tricky, checking the frame number against provided documentation is a good start. Also, paying attention to components that match the era helps. If you need speed assistance, feel free to ask! ‍♂️