how do you keep your feet warm in winter?

ksl

Feb 15, 2004
Getting colder here (Sydney). This is the first winter I've really done much riding, and some mornings my feet get so cold I can't feel them (and it's not just tight shoes). I think a lot of it is the wind/air flow going through my shoes (Specialized Body Geometry Comps). I use windstopper next-to skin thin gloves for my hands, which work fine.

What do you members do to keep your feet warm in winter?

I saw some windstopper-like cycling socks at Ground Effect's website (www.groundeffect.co.nz); any idea if these are any good?

Thanks in advance.

Wool socks inside and neoprene booties outside, that usually keeps mine warm down to about -10. It's probably not that cold in Sydney so maybe try shoe covers to stop the wind blowing through.

I use booties here in Canberra but they might be a bit excessive for Sydney weather.

Maybe cut a hole in a pair of thick socks to use like booties or some companies make toe warmers or similart to time trial oversocks (but made of the same material as arm/leg warmers).

Cold? In Sydney? HA!! I'm in Melbourne!!

I also wear the neoprene booties, or whatever the wetsuit stuff is called. They're very good, but I still get a bit cold if I have my shoes done up very tight for fast rides.

I rode the entire winter here in Michigan with a pair of SIDI WINTER STORM shoes, they are fully lined on the inside and "weather resistant" on the outside. On really cold days I also wore Pearl Izumi Exstatic socks and Polar fleece oversocks, this may be overkill for your winter I don't know as unfortunately I have never been "Down Under" in the winter or any other time :-(
Originally posted by ksl
Getting colder here (Sydney). This is the first winter I've really done much riding, and some mornings my feet get so cold I can't feel them (and it's not just tight shoes). I think a lot of it is the wind/air flow going through my shoes (Specialized Body Geometry Comps). I use windstopper next-to skin thin gloves for my hands, which work fine.

What do you members do to keep your feet warm in winter?

I saw some windstopper-like cycling socks at Ground Effect's website (www.groundeffect.co.nz); any idea if these are any good?

Thanks in advance.

Well here in sunny southern california it doesn't get cold enough to need more that regular socks and toe covers or shoe covers.

I have worn two pairs of socks in the past.

thanks for the advice guys and gals. I know Sydney isn't the coldest place by a long shot, but it's still cold enough for me! Maybe I'm getting old, but I used to love cold weather - now it makes my knees hurt!

Originally posted by ksl

Thanks in advance.

If you are referring to Ground Effect's product known as Lucifers, I totally endorse them. They are the warmest and most comfortable cold beaters for the tootsies I have ever used, including overshoes.

Neoprene toe-covers for me - work well in the 0-10 degrees celcius range. Full booties get all hot and sweaty here in Cape Town.

I've been meaning to take a photo of my toes turning from white to blue and
then to red as they warm up under the shower after my morning commute..

If I was sensible, I'd remember to wear my Adidas toe warmers. They are neoprene covers that slip over the front of your shoes. You cut a hole in the
bottom to suit your cleat system. Good for stopping that freezing draft through the front 'vents'.. I think they were about $20-30AUD a year or two
ago. You could also use full booties, but I never like the look of them.

hippy

The cheapest method is to cover your socks with plastic bag material before inserting your foot into the shoe. If you then use shoe covers, you will be warm down to 10 C unless its raining. I use the disposable shopping bag material, the very thin kind used in the smaller bags. It blocks the wind but be careful on moisture as it will trap every bit. Wrapping the front instep and toes is usually suifficient, leaving the heel uncovered.

I have many hours of night training in sub freezing conditions (dry). I find my feet are the last to go, my ears and hands being the first to fall victim to the cold. I have a microfiber fleece hood that fits nicely under my helmet, providing warmth to -10 C.