How do you know if someone is a unicyclist?

Unicus

Guest
How do you know if someone is a unicyclist? I think I’m
right in saying that it’s not an everyday thing to come
across another unicyclist by chance. Normally the only way
to know if someone is a unicyclist is to see them riding but
how do we know the people we meet everyday aren’t
unicyclists?

This came to my attention today as my son, who has a
disability, was having a mobile arm support fitted to his
wheelchair. In the process of routing the inevitable cables
I happened to mention to the person fitting it I was trying
to find the best route for the brake pipe on my unicycle. Up
to this point, where he’d been working on fitting the mobile
arm support for 2 hours, I had in no way suspected he was a
unicyclist but he was.

After he had said he unicycled with a tone that said ‘wow
another unicyclist’ the conversation changed somewhat to be
more relaxed. Unfortunately he had to dash off but had
enough time to see my unicycles and have a quick ride.

But how do we know if the person we're talking to is a
unicyclist? Just slip unicycling into the conversation
somewhere :) There’s nothing like a chance meeting with
another unicyclist to cheer the day up.

Now back to the grindstone.

Cheers, Gary

--
unicus

Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Hand them a unicycle. The non-unicyclist who claims to be
one will show up real fast. Pretty much as soon as they put
a foot on the forward pedal to mount, you know who's
pulling your leg.

Unless they haven't ridden for many years. Then it's okay if
they need a minute to remember...

Otherwise, unicyclist detection is as easy as you want it to
be. How about "Hey, can you ride a unicycle?" :)

Or you can wear unicycle T-shirts, have a license plate on
your car that says "UNICYCL" (depending where you live), or
stickers on the car to indicate your passtime. This has
often generated conversations for me, including meeting lots
of people who learned from Bill Jenack when I lived on Long
Island. At that time, my license plate read "UN1CYCLE".

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

unicus wrote:
> *How do you know if someone is a unicyclist? *

Check out their legs for shindentations and bruises. Only
when I'm at uni meets and events do I meet people with as
many bruises and scars as I have. Other clues
- laces tucked in. -They don't do a double take whan you
say you went for unicycle ride/play unicycle hockey (
or similar).
- odder than normal tan lines, white hands above the
wrist and tanned arms is a sign that they are a
wristguard wearer.

sarah

Of course these clues are not infalible. Some cyclists tuck
in laces , some people don't listen very hard and
wristguards or splints are worn by non unicyclsts too.

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Check out their nalgene. If it looks like this:

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/album121/DSCF0-
244.sized.jpg]

They are probably a unicyclist.

PS. Tommy, as you can see my stickers came in! Hope you got
my check reached you by now.

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
Sig count: 2
04.05.14 10636
04.05.15 10772
04.05.16 10861
04.05.19 11088

before Buc 11 I said to Paddy that im a unicyclist and not a
juggler and he said whats the differnce? I couldnt really
explain it to him but when he got thier he noticed a few
things like.

Unicyclists getting up earlyier than Jugglers. Unicyclists
dont drink so much or none at all for riding. Unicyclists
cant juggle :p only kidding ;)

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/Unicycle-Pictures-from-Uk/NewSig2.jpg]
ok maybe a bit of a juggler.
www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

Look for a callus on the palm of their right hand (if they
are right-handed).

I have developed a callus on my right hand about an inch
down from my middle and ring fingers. It was not there
before I started riding. I figure this is from catching the
seat as I dismount (fall off?).

--
mucRider

Anything with more than one wheel is too complicated!
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

I find it quite funny at college, The arielists all have big
bruises on certian parts of thier body from things like
catchs and drops to certian places.

I noticed the other day that I have several scars on my
shoulders, anyone else have these?

Trev

--

unicycleboy wrote:
> * Unicyclists getting up earlyier than Jugglers.
> Unicyclists dont drink so much or none at all for
> riding. Trev *

Very True. I've notied that too. In the UK its gone more
that way over the last few years, I think its the sport side
of unicycling coming to the fore. That and trying to fit a
LOT into a two day convention. Go to an international
unicycle event and things sem to start even eariler than at
a UK one tho. Tough at Unicon 11 when we were staying 30
miles from the event centre and had to get there in time for
a 9am start to the marathon. Werid at Unicon 10 when I heard
my name being called for a race while I was still waking up
in my room, dashed over the road, did the race then went and
had breakfast and it still wasn't 9am.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

that, my friend, is an awesome tattoo. is it yours?

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

tennisgh22 wrote:
> *that, my friend, is an awesome tattoo. is it yours?
>
> -grant *
Thanks, yes. It is a 24" Schwinn, the unicycle on which I
learned to ride.

Raphael Lasar Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

Ich bin hier,
Und du bist mein Sofa.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24