How do you know if your recovered?

frenchyge said:
I don't use a HRM for this, so feel free to disregard this post.

I don't track recovery on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes (eg, on weekends) I will work back-to-back and dig into a little hole, and other times I take 1-2 days completely off to recover. I track overall fatigue over the longer term rather than worrying about it on a daily basis. For this I *personally* use the software that Ric mentioned, but I think it could be roughly done using HR with TRIMPS, or an estimation of TSS based on duration and estimated intensity. These concepts have recently been discussed here and here.
Hey, how about that! I started both those threads. Estimating my TSS has been invaluable to me. It's a little easier right now since most of my rides are on the trainer. When the warm season comes around, it's going to be a bit more difficult. Or I'll spend more time than I want on the trainer. Or, I'll buy that new shoe insert PM which is supposed to come out in the spring. Or something else.

Anyway, that's a good way to guage your stress/recovery. But you're always going to need to assess how you feel as well. Even if all the numbers say you're fresh/tired, if you feel the opposite you need to go with it and analyze the build up to that number.

whoawhoa said:
I should say "recovery days are overrated." Obviously recovery is important, I just find it takes an abnormally large amount of stress to force me to take more than 24 hours off (not that I don't for other reasons).
ahh k thx for clearing that up:D ...I also agree that it takes a lot to need a total day off. Maybe its because I am young and I do seem to naturally recover from efforts extremely quickly...see OP.

I still think a total day off and an "easy" active recovery day per week is a good idea. Just too make sure you are totally recovered and make sure our bodies still have time to grow (and party ;) ).

Only 3 or 4 days a week should be really long or hard...IMO of course.

normZurawski said:
Anyway, that's a good way to guage your stress/recovery. But you're always going to need to assess how you feel as well. Even if all the numbers say you're fresh/tired, if you feel the opposite you need to go with it and analyze the build up to that number.

This is true. there have been days i rode with a + TSB feeling like ****, other days like -30 TSB feeling good. i ride better with fatigue in the legs. i will see what happens tomorrow, my TSB will be the highest its been in 2 months at +13. PMC suggest im at a peak, i will see if i can turn some PB.

zaskar said:
This is true. there have been days i rode with a + TSB feeling like ****, other days like -30 TSB feeling good. i ride better with fatigue in the legs. i will see what happens tomorrow, my TSB will be the highest its been in 2 months at +13. PMC suggest im at a peak, i will see if i can turn some PB.
And sometimes a computer program doesn't really know if your recovered or not! :p

If your TSB is +30 does it really tell you how recovered you are...your body could ACTUALLY be very unrecovered and tired!

Thats where a HRM and common sense come into it.

dm69 said:
And sometimes a computer program doesn't really know if your recovered or not! :p

If your TSB is +30 does it really tell you how recovered you are...your body could ACTUALLY be very unrecovered and tired!

Thats where a HRM and common sense come into it.

The PMC helps give very good guide. I rely on my power output and feeling to gauge my performance & recovery also. if i am not recovered or having a bad day,L3, L4,& L5 feels like a hard effort.

A HRM tells you how fast your heart is beating, big deal, whats that got to do with performance?

You can be completely recovered and ride like ****, or be deep in hard workouts and ride like ****. just depends on what the body wants to do. i know everyone here has been fresh and recovered and has had a crappy ride.
Is it what you ate, what you didn't eat? the air your breathing? dehydration? of course a computer program such as the PMC cant predict how you will ride based on so many variables, but i think it is as close as you can come in form, & fitness prediction. do you know of anything better? oh a HRM
:rolleyes:

dm69 said:

Not bloody likely.

BTW, did you know that the Performance Manager approach can predict how your heart rate will respond on a particular day?

zaskar said:
i will see what happens tomorrow, my TSB will be the highest its been in 2 months at +13. PMC suggest im at a peak, i will see if i can turn some PB.

Since you mention that's the highest your TSB has been in 2 mo, I assume that your CTL is reasonably high. If so, I'd predict that at +13 you'll be able to "ride to your potential", although I don't know if you'll be "ripping the cranks off".

acoggan said:
Not bloody likely.

You know, I was looking for a clear and succinct way to put the exact same point. I think you nailed it. :p

BTW, did you know that the Performance Manager approach can predict how your heart rate will respond on a particular day?

Um no... how? And does it matter?