how do you know if your rim needs tuning, or is slighltly bent?

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
My rear rim when I brake makes a noise that gets louder then quieter. Is it bent? How do I tell if it is?:confused:

Cycler6n said:
My rear rim when I brake makes a noise that gets louder then quieter. Is it bent? How do I tell if it is?:confused:
No, it is probably not bent. The wheel just needs truing probably. Don't worry, this is normal. New bikes usually take time for their wheels to 'set' properly. Just tell them your problem at your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and they should take care of it.

Bikelyst said:
No, it is probably not bent. The wheel just needs truing probably. Don't worry, this is normal. New bikes usually take time for their wheels to 'set' properly. Just tell them your problem at your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and they should take care of it.
So you meen that my rims have to set and get used to being ridden? Like they have to "bend" so to speak to a worn in size or somethin?

It means that your wheel probably have a bit of a side to side wobble going around the circumference.

Spin your wheel and observe the gap b/n one of your brake pad and the rim. If the spacing varies during the revolution, it's a sure sign that the wheel is out of true. Also, look at the outer circumference from the side and check if it goes up and down as the wheel turns. If not, then the wheel is also out of round. These can all explain your present problem.

sogood said:
It means that your wheel probably have a bit of a side to side wobble going around the circumference.

Spin your wheel and observe the gap b/n one of your brake pad and the rim. If the spacing varies during the revolution, it's a sure sign that the wheel is out of true. Also, look at the outer circumference from the side and check if it goes up and down as the wheel turns. If not, then the wheel is also out of round. These can all explain your present problem.
The outer circumfrance is supposed to go up and down?

Cycler6n said:
The outer circumfrance is supposed to go up and down?
The poster accidentally added a not. If it moves up and down, then it is out of round and needs attention.

dgregory57 said:
The poster accidentally added a not. If it moves up and down, then it is out of round and needs attention.
Could it hurt my frame?

Cycler6n said:
Could it hurt my frame?
Yes, I mis-wrote that earlier sentence. dgregory57's correction stands.

For smaller wheel deformations, I'd suspect that it'll cause more troubles for your hub bearings than the frame. When it's large, it'll be your butt and wrist that'll get killed. And it'll look outright silly.

sogood said:
Yes, I mis-wrote that earlier sentence. dgregory57's correction stands.

For smaller wheel deformations, I'd suspect that it'll cause more troubles for your hub bearings than the frame. When it's large, it'll be your butt and wrist that'll get killed. And it'll look outright silly.
It's only bent like 3 millimeters, but thats enough. I'm just crazy when it comes to my bike. I always want it perfect:D