How Do You Know Which Bike Accessories Are Good Ideas?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Since I finally have my new bike and it's too rainy to ride her, darn it, I've been spending some time online looking at bike accessories. I've found some that pique my interest, but also make me wonder if they're a good idea.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]For instance, today I saw a site on ebay that makes custom wooden rims for your bike for $100 each. I think they look awfully pretty, but that seems expensive, and II do wonder if they would fit well/perform well/last well, etc. Or is such a thing a scam?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I also saw, believe it or not, a sun-shield thing that attaches to the front and rear wheel and creates a fabric portable 'roof' for your bike to keep you out of the sun! They called it a sun canopy, I think. I laughed out loud when I saw it, but my first actual thought was, "One good wind and you're going to be parasailing on that thing!" [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I love the idea of having unique and different bike accessories that not just everybody on the street has, but I also don't want to fall into some scams for something that just really wouldn't work at all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Any ideas on cool accessories, and how to avoid the too-weird-to-work-well ones?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

You could always check the reviews here. If has not been done yet google the item with the word reviews and read as many as possable. That is what I do.

Wooden rims? I'm confused. Do they apply wood over your normal rims, and then you end up with a wood breaking surface? . . . that sounds like a bad idea. Or are these for bikes fitted with disc breaks only? Either way, sounds odd.

You would never get any riding done, trying to
decide what shoes to wear??

Or you could keep up with your "woman's work" while
biking?

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]MMM, I do read the reviews here, but hadn't thought of googling for the accessories. Will do.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And Brad, those are the funniest pictures!! I LOVE the one with the shoes. Looks like something out of a cartoon. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Calico, [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It has me confused, too![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Here's what the ad says:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]I’m excited to offer wheelbuilding services for Ghisallo wood rims. The details:

(1) This service is only available at retail; we don’t have the means to meet dealer or OEM demand at this time.

(2) A flat rate of $100 covers one wheel - building labor and butted stainless spokes. You must provide rims and hubs or specify your preference, in which case we will quote you a price and delivery. We're assuming you are also buying rims, so no shipping cost is listed. In order to meet special situations, shipping cost may be added or subtracted from each transaction.

(3) The building will be done promptly but we ask that you allow two weeks plus shipping for each set.

(4) All wheels will receive hand cut and threaded spokes, custom sized for the exact combination. Nothing like getting spokes that are totally accurate in length. We are cutting from a precious batch of early production Wheelsmith butted 14 gauge spokes made in Japan.

(5) All wheelbuilding is personally done by my trusty brother Jon (Whitefish, MT) or me (Seattle). We promise to do our very best but make no claim to superhuman skills. Suffice to say, we have plenty of experience with wheels and wood rims.

(6) Remember that wood rims are dynamic. They respond to humidity changes, extra heavy use, and severe blows. Tension will drop after a run in period of several hundred miles, as nipples and washers settle into the rim. This simply means that the wheels will request periodic light truing and a one-time tightening. No other special care (avoiding rain, refinishing, etc.) is required and they can give you many years of stable, happy riding.

(7) On account of #6, above, we don’t guarantee a particular tension level or trueness specification. We will deliver the best that can be accomplished. If the wheels need minor truing on arrival, we’d be surprised. But it can’t be entirely ruled out. Wood has DNA. Like you, it was once living. It makes a more interesting companion, if a bit higher maintenance. Like the difference between a real dog and a battery powered one.

(8) Give us a try. We’re sure you won’t be disappointed.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It has a picture, but I can't get it to load. Here's the link if you want to see it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Rim-Wheelbuilding_W0QQitemZ280263266926QQcategoryZ36144QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5391343941391348392 [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]They're pretty. But it still sounds weird to me![/COLOR]

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

You would never get any riding done, trying to
decide what shoes to wear??

Or you could keep up with your "woman's work" while
biking?

The top one looks like a bicycle built by Dr. Suess! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Decide what type of riding you want to do, and then get the appropriate accessories. The basics would include water bottle and water bottle cage, bell, reflectors, mirror, fenders (mud gaurds), front and/or rear racks, panniers, handlebar bag, saddle bag, multi-tool, patch kit and spare tube, frame pump. You can also add headlight and tail light, or even a complete generator light set if you plan to ride when it gets dark out. They all add weight to the bike, and can also make it cumbersome to ride if you over do it.

My thoughts: Just forget the wooden rims. Even if they are not impractical or downright dangerous, there's no reason for them. The alloy rims on your bike and mine are excellent for the job they are designed to do, and there's no reason to replace them with wood. Otherwise, what cycleheimer said, and just apply common sense. (As you're already doing.) But having said that, we should remember that bicycles really are (can be) individual machines which the personality of the owner. When I was riding a lot of road miles, and fancied myself not a racer, but a serious roadie, my bike did not carry a gram of unnecessary weight or equipment. Since my re-emergence into riding, I've adopted more of the philosophy of those companies that's I've been citing to you. There are items and equipment on my bike that are admittedly heavier, but serve a purpose, such as wider tires. The Brooks saddle was (again admittedly) purchased for beauty and cool factor, but whatdoyouknow, it feels great! So I'm sure that your experience and aestetics will shape your idea of what your bike should be. Have fun, Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, you two![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Cycleheimer, I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I already plan to put most of the basics you mentioned on my bike for comfort and safety. And since I won't be racing at all, I'm not too worried about the weight unless, as you said, it begins to get cumbersome even at my basic riding speeds. But on the inside I guess I'm still a girly girl, and I want some accessories to make her Pretty-er, lol. That was the reason about questioning the wooden rims; I think they might have been pretty. But I won't get anything that doesn't sound/feel safe, and they don't.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve, I love that you get that bikes really can -- and will, in my case, if I do it right -- display the personality of the owner. My daughter has a hot pink bike. I could no more feel comfortable riding a hot pink bike than I could fly -- but it fits her personality perfectly. It was part of what took me so long to find a bike. I didn't just want it to have good components; I wanted to think it was pretty to MY taste. I finally figured out that while some of the bikes I looked at were good-looking in a sporty, modern way, that isn't me. And I've learned that I love, Love, LOVE the old retro charm of the Dutch or Amsterdam-type bikes, even though they're cruisers, enough that I'm trying to achieve that kind of look on this one -- old, simple, classic, 1930s/1940s laid-back elegance. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]To that end, I'm searching desperately for skirt guards, though I will probably never bike in a skirt, simply because I love the way certain ones look. I've seen them in everything from plain black plastic to painted with flowers on them to actually crocheted! SEEN them in pictures -- but can't find the nicer ones to buy yet. I'm also deciding whether I want hammered brass fenders or wooden ones to replace the basic black that's on her temporarily. I will probably exchange the black wire basket on her now for a wicker or wooden one -- but it has to be the right one, lol, to achieve the mood I'm after. And I may have to put nice leather streamers on the bars, lol. It is so much fun deciding how to make her prettiest! And the prettier she is, the more I'll want to be out riding her, which will help me continue losing weight, and make ME prettier, too, LOL, so it's a win-win situation. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input, guys! [/COLOR]

Back in the day, wooden rims were widely used on lightweight bikes, so, no, they're not a scam--just special equipment for the vintage biking enthusiast who wants to roll on something special. They look pretty and I've heard they give a pretty nice ride.

Slim, spend more time riding and less time looking at catalogs. Then you'll know which accessories will work for you.

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]For instance, today I saw a site on ebay that makes custom wooden rims for your bike for $100 each. I think they look awfully pretty, but that seems expensive, and II do wonder if they would fit well/perform well/last well, etc. Or is such a thing a scam?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Bobcat,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm riding, I'm riding, lol. It's when it's raining or dark out that I prowl the internet for prettifying things for my bike.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]But no matter how much I ride, I don't know how that will help me know whether wooden rims would work for me or not. To know, I would have to try them... and at that price, they'll probably remain untried, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I think you misunderstood me. My bike already has a chain guard. What I'm looking for are skirt guards, which are very popular in Europe, and seem to be non-existent here. I don't need one, actually, since I'll probably never ride in a skirt. But I think they add a touch of retro cool to the bike. I've seen them in plastic, metal, bungee bands, and even crocheted (!) in pictures, but can't find them for sale. I'll post some pics below and hope they don't dissolve into the little x's. I'll include the links in case they do.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm not sure I would want flowers painted on it, but I would love one painted to match my bike color. Of course, that would require getting Raleigh to sell me some of their paint. http://www.dutchcitybike.com/2010/11/dutch-bikes-the-skirt-guard/[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I actually think this one would look really good on my bike, with it's black and tan and brown color scheme, and I can buy it from Europe for $71 plus shipping -- but I can't believe that anything crocheted would stand up to puddles and rain and mud from the tires, etc. http://www.dutchcitybike.com/2010/11/bright-crocheted-dress-guards-direct-from-holland/[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]This one is nice and simple... but again, I would need matching paint from Raleigh. http://www.dutchcitybike.com/category/omafiets/ [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]
!B9lwY!QCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEzOtG!zvqBM6TKfPUKw~~_3.JPG
[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I absolutely LOVE this one, which the poster called a skirt 'flare,' a term I've never seen. I like it to the point that if I would fit my bike, I would almost buy this old one and junk it, just to get the skirt guard. But Hubby says it won't fit. LOVE this idea, though. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Old-ELGIN-Ladies-26-Skirt-Tank-Bicycle-30s-40s-/280592700455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4154a0d427 [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Anyway, those are skirt guards. If you see any anywhere, feel free to let me know. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Steve, [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]P.S., lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That Velo Orange site is great! There is a handlebar they call a Trekking Handlebar that I am wondering about for my bike. It seems like it would bring the bars a little closer to me, which we think I need, plus offer a lot of hand positions for my tour! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the link![/COLOR]

Old Bobcat is right about wooden rim wheels. I had a pair hanging on the wall for decoration but ended up selling them to a friend for a museum bike that he was restoring for exhibition. They do have a sweet ride when they are true. As the ad stated, they are affected by heat and humididty so you have to tweak them almost before every ride, and a spoke wrench was a part of your riding gear so that you could tweak them mid-ride. They do take a more delicate touch than normal wheel building so $100 is not a bad price for building a pair, especially if the customer sends them some strange difficult rims or hubs to build.

As for accessories, just remember that each pretty little bauble that you add to the bike increases the weight. Now riding a heavy bike for exercise is not a bad thing as it helps burn off your weight, but you will want the lightest bike possible for your tour next summer. Whenever I consider accessories for my bike, I ask myself a three of questions: Is it neccessary? Will it greatly enhance my riding ability or pleasure? Can I afford it? If I answer all three questions with a "Yes", then I get it. If any of the questions are answered "No", then I forget about it.

OK, got it on the skirt guards. I think I actually worked on a bike from Germany that had them (years ago). You can probably find them if you keep looking on the 'net. Glad you liked Velo Orange! Happy riding, Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Steve.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I actually found a metal-working place here in Sac that says they will make anything you want out of any metal you want; I was thinking maybe some brass ones.... Of course, the price for doing so may be so beyond my reach that it will remain a pipe dream, but then....[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Pipe dreams can be very nice, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one, buddy.[/COLOR]

Sierra, what bike did you end up getting, sorry I missed that post.

I agree wood rims are beautiful but you do not need them, their not dangerous as one poster mentioned, but they are not suited for everyday riding (should avoid rain) due to humidity factors constantly changing thus changing spoke tension which means you would be required to adjust all your spokes before every ride! Plus any grit getting onto the rims will tear up the wood when the brakes are applied. The ad you saw was just the spokes and labor you had to provide the rim which cost $185 thus the total cost would have been $285 for one. Then there are hidden cost not explained, you need special brake pads, cork and leather pads were used back in the day but not sure if those are being made anymore, but pads for carbon wheels seem to have had some success. I hope you can see the difficulty with wood rims.

You found a source for skirt flares, not sure why you need them though. I live in Amish country and see Amish women riding bikes with skirts on and none of the bikes I've ever seen had skirt flares. But they kind of look cool. Fitting a skirt flare could be a problem, especially since you can't have your bike sent to the place in Europe to have it fitted or maybe one can't be fitted at all on it except for maybe the fabric one. The fabric one would require you to buy a rear fender and drilling a bunch of holes on both sides to attach the skirt's clips. Then the fabric would get dirty every other day so off it comes and into the wash and dry then put back on. Seems like a lot of hassle for something the Amish don't even use.

Velo Orange site is a great place to find older looking stuff. The Treking handlebar you saw would be a great idea as you so rightly stated; as is the mustache bar I mentioned once before to you; see: http://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Mustache-Cruiser-Bicycle-Handlebar/dp/B001WAVU8S

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Froze![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm so glad you posted, I've missed you lately. And I've been trying to remember which handlebar you suggested, so this is like Kismet, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I bought a Raleigh Calispel I-8. Here's the link of the post: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/481433/i-just-finally-bought-a-bike-today#post_3982791.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I got a different handlebar than is pictured in the link, though, and since I'm now having wrist pain I'm afraid that may have been a mistake. Here are pictures of the actual bike and the bars I got:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I've put black fenders on her now, and can't believe how much less naked she looks, lol. But I'm thinking of splurging on some hammered brass ones I saw... sigh.... I have it so bad![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I DO see the wisdom in not getting the wooden rims, which is what I suspected even before I asked in the post. So I will NOT be getting those... though I do like the looks of some colored rims I've seen, lol. And I know that I don't NEED a skirt guard; I just think they're really pretty, particularly the swirled metal ones. As I said, I've got it bad.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for info, Froze! Nice hearing from you, as always.[/COLOR]