How do you like your Fascism?

Wurm

Aug 6, 2004
Published on Monday, May 15, 2006 by ABC News
Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling
by Brian Ross and Richard Esposito
A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the government is tracking the phone numbers we call in an effort to root out confidential sources.

"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us in an in-person conversation.

ABC News does not know how the government determined who we are calling, or whether our phone records were provided to the government as part of the recently-disclosed NSA collection of domestic phone calls.

Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters for ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post, are being examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation.

One former official was asked to sign a document stating he was not a confidential source for New York Times reporter James Risen.

Our reports on the CIA's secret prisons in Romania and Poland were known to have upset CIA officials.

People questioned by the FBI about leaks of intelligence information say the CIA was also disturbed by ABC News reports that revealed the use of CIA predator missiles inside Pakistan.

Under Bush Administration guidelines, it is not considered illegal for the government to keep track of numbers dialed by phone customers.

The official who warned ABC News said there was no indication our phones were being tapped so the content of the conversation could be recorded.

A pattern of phone calls from a reporter, however, could provide valuable clues for leak investigators.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

To paraphrase a (in)famous Defense Sec'y:

As you know, you go to war with the Fascism you have, not the Fascism you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Wurm said:
To paraphrase a (in)famous Defense Sec'y:

As you know, you go to war with the Fascism you have, not the Fascism you might want or wish to have at a later time.
Good ol' rummy.

Wurm said:
D'you mean Donald "Flavor of The Month" Rumsfeld?
Gotta hand it to the guy thou'. He offerred to resign 2x but W turned him down. Probably because it would confirm the fact that it was/is an exceedingly expensive excursion both in lives & treasure & may be ultimately unwinnable :(

notable the spying here is authorized by the patriot act as a measure to gain intel on terrorists.

according to an abc journalist, the reporting of the locales of the secret us run prisons in eastern europe was the trigger for this action.

sec. rice was much embarrased to find this reoprt was timed to coincide with her trip to that region. the prisoners were moved and then the official denial response went something like "there are no secret prisons in these areas at present".

talk about backpedaling...

Wurm said:
Published on Monday, May 15, 2006 by ABC News
Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling

Do they still monitor peoples reading material in the public libraries of the United States of America?

limerickman said:
Do they still monitor peoples reading material in the public libraries of the United States of America?
Yes, and your internet usage at a public library must be reported if requested.

"Your papers, please..."

Wurm said:

"Your papers, please..."

It never ceases to amaze me as to why American people tolerate that.

That sort of thing would never be tolerated either here or in Britain.

limerickman said:

By the time the public finds out, the weasels who perpetrated the warrantless searches whine about something or other to justify it :mad:

This is what shocks me and, yes, I'm aware of it.
I only just joined another Russian e-mailing service and let me tell you why specifically: It's the only e-mailing service I found that doesn't require name, address and postcode and allows me to remain anonymous without snoops and busybodies linking my mail, recording it to my address and keeping tags.
I may be wrong but I believe in the U.K. and U.S.A. you guys can't open an e-mail account without handing over all these details. All the mail is monitored.
I was also informed by my bank recently that I couldn't withdraw money unless I filled in another personal information form.

Wurm said:

"Your papers, please..."

I'm sorry Lim but it's possibly even worse in the U.K. Maybe not in Ireland but I can tell you e-mail is monitered over here. I've been a victim of monitoring myself and know my mail was read by library staff. Plus when you open an e-mail account they seem to require your home address and postcode - the same as if you buy a new T.V. set.
Also, try this for size: Can you believe pregnant female prisoners in the U.K. have been forced to give birth in hospitals while handcuffed to guards during labour? I read about this the other day and was absolutely horrified. Not only that but the guards weren't even female.
Amazingly people seem to tolerate this kind of situation without taking their case to the European Courts and taking legal action.

limerickman said:

Muhammad Ali was followed around and spied on during the Hoover years. His stance against Vietnam and his status as heavyweight champion worried Hoover immensely. People who spoke to Ali and communicated were all jotted down in FBI files e.t.c.
The funny thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the same Hoover had a fetish for dressing up in drag and was accused later of being a bit odd. ;)

lyotard said:
notable the spying here is authorized by the patriot act as a measure to gain intel on terrorists.

according to an abc journalist, the reporting of the locales of the secret us run prisons in eastern europe was the trigger for this action.

sec. rice was much embarrased to find this reoprt was timed to coincide with her trip to that region. the prisoners were moved and then the official denial response went something like "there are no secret prisons in these areas at present".

talk about backpedaling...

Carrera said:
This is what shocks me and, yes, I'm aware of it.
I only just joined another Russian e-mailing service and let me tell you why specifically: It's the only e-mailing service I found that doesn't require name, address and postcode and allows me to remain anonymous without snoops and busybodies linking my mail, recording it to my address and keeping tags.
I may be wrong but I believe in the U.K. and U.S.A. you guys can't open an e-mail account without handing over all these details. All the mail is monitored.
I was also informed by my bank recently that I couldn't withdraw money unless I filled in another personal information form.

Are you sure about email being monitored in the UK?
I understood that an application had to be made to the Courts to obtain a warrant in order for the police/secret service to gain access to your post, your emails and any other private correspondence.
In fact I am almost certain that this is the case.

davidmc said:
Gotta hand it to the guy thou'. He offerred to resign 2x but W turned him down. Probably because it would confirm the fact that it was/is an exceedingly expensive excursion both in lives & treasure & may be ultimately unwinnable :(

Dave - those cartoons are very good.

Probably you're all best spared the details of what happened in my case. Suffice it to say I sent a very raunchy letter by e-mail to a girlfriend in the U.S.A. and the said letter was "intercepted" by library staff - especially the females who obviously read the contents.
Seeing as this was the case, I did think it was a bit of a nerve but I also saw the funny side, I suppose. Having said that, I was also a fair bit embarrassed and considered not showing my face in the library again - for fear of ridicule.
None of that worried me too excessively, but what does cause concern is this information being asked by e-mail services (personal address and postcode). It's ironic that I'm now opting out of all that stuff by using Russian e-mail instead. I have nothing to hide but I simply don't like my e-mail being traced to my home address and the whole concept of my opinions possibly being used against me one day. With Russian mail you can simply sign up without address, postcode or anything. In the U.K. they want all your personal details or you simply can't register.

limerickman said:
I understood that an application had to be made to the Courts to obtain a warrant in order for the police/secret service to gain access to your post, your emails and any other private correspondence.

Tip of the week: If you live in the U.K. get your passport now - this month before it's changed to the I.D. card system and linked with the snoop charter e.t.c.
You can still get a regular passport at this time but I was told after this month you could be caught out not being be able to travel unless you have an I.D. card passport. That is, if you have a regular passport now valid for 10 years you can refuse to have an I.D. card later as you won't need it. If that makes any sense. ;)

limerickman said:
My fascist leaders have not gained entry into my post mail as of yet. This has been sancrosanct up until Dubya & Gonzales took over :mad: Am I correct in this assertion Wurm :confused:

limerickman said:
Dave - those cartoons are very good.
Why, thank you ;) You sir, are a gentleman & a scholar :)
Is America Becoming Fascist?
Eternal Fascism:
Fourteen Ways of Looking at a Blackshirt
The Danger of American Fascism:
With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power.
Sheila Samples: Freedom To Fascism -- A Bumpy Ride: Republicans don't seem to realize that they are no longer individual members of a coherent "party," but are merely part of a mean-spirited and dangerous movement that is threatening to sweep away democracy as we know it.
Germany In 1933: The Easy Slide Into Fascism
The Brownshirting of America: Bush’s supporters demand lock-step consensus that Bush is right. They regard truthful reports that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction and was not involved in the September 11 attack on the US – truths now firmly established by the Bush administration’s own reports – as treasonous America-bashing.
Fascism then. Fascism now? When people think of fascism, they imagine Rows of goose-stepping storm troopers and puffy-chested dictators. What they don't see is the economic and political process that leads to the nightmare.
What is Fascism? Some General Ideological Features
Hello. You are now living in a fascist empire
Neo-fascism in America : Too many people believe fascism is only about goose-stepping, jack-booted Nazis. Too many people believe that American democracy is so strong that fascists could never take control of America. If you are sympathetic to those views, I invite you to consider the possibility that you are mistaken.
It is in times of fascism rising that armies of ignorance are once more resuscitated from the bowels of a society bordering on the edge of mass psychosis. The America at the dawn of the twenty-first century is no exception...
Republican Party Brown Shirts: "The Wide-Awakes": The organization was known for virulent anti-Catholicism, secretive rituals, and a military-style organization complete with "officers" and units.
Harper's Magazine: We Now Live in a Fascist State
They Saw It Coming: The 19th-Century Libertarian Critique of Fascism
Victims of Creeping Fascism: We are witnessing nothing less astonishing than the demise of the American experiment. 12-20
The ten phases of a Bush scandal. 12-22
America is headed for a soft dictatorship by the end of Bush’s second term.