How Do You Listen To Your Music When Cycling?

Khatib22

Aug 4, 2015
Personally, I use a pair of Beats Wireless 2 that I bought on Amazon a while back. They're really loud and stay in place compared to the Apple earbuds that I used before. But, recently, I've been seeing a lot of people using Bluetooth speakers attached to their bike to jam out to their tunes. So my question is: How do you listen to your music?

I am personally a believer in that any headphones on a bike is just outright dangerous. I also feel that way about having a rear view mirror. I feel it's very important to hear my surroundings as well as see everything, just like in a car. With that, I have a speaker I attach to my arm which puts in close to my ear. I stream from my phone which is on my other arm.

https://store.boombotix.com/products/boombot-rex-black

Reactions: SportsFans
I do not put anything to distract me especially when I am out riding my bike because that is just too dangerous. When it comes to listening to music I am not satisfied if the volume is low so I would rather not bring one during a ride. Can you guys manage to listen to your surroundings while the music is on?

I think wearing headphones while cycling is outright dangerous and should never be done. I think to lessen the danger, turning the music on low from a cellphone in your jersey pocket is much safer..I said much safer, but the safest option, the one I choose is NO MUSIC.The fact that as you say "the headphones are really loud" makes matters worse. Think about these few things

-without headphones on, you can hear a car coming from quite a distance away

-You can hear wildlife moving around along side of the road. I was riding yesterday and saw a bear 200 feet or so ahead of me. Can you imagine being lost in your tunes and smacking straight into an animal like that?Regularly, I hear deer moving around on the side of the road and they sometime run parallel to me. With music on, id probably have hit one already.

-If you get into an accident, regardless of fault, your music distraction will kill some credibility. Wether right or wrong, it will be an excuse against you.

-If you use a phone for music, it will greatly diminish the batter life. That battery life could be important if a situation arises.

I compel the voices in my head to sing. They don't always do the tunes I want to hear but neither does Pandora.

My ears are second only to my eyes as a survival tool when I'm riding. Music on the trainer, sure. On the roads? No way. Plus, the purpose of riding is to enjoy the ride. If you need music to distract you, ride more interesting places. :lol:

I actually don't have a music system when I'm biking. It is against my policy for safety. Unless I am biking inside the village with company, I never would have an earphone with music. What if there's a speeding vehicle that I didn't notice? At least I would hear the sound of the engine or even another cyclist would yell at me. But I listen to music when I am resting like in the park after a grind. When I go on a recreational tour, I have my backpack with complete accessories, that includes my phone that I use as a radio.

I usually use my phone for my music needs when I'm out riding around. I bought a pair of Dunu Dn-12's a while back and I really like them for what I want out of them. They don't have any controls on them but for me that doesn't matter, because I mostly have the music player on shuffle and if I need to turn the music off quick or something I just yank the buds out of my ears.

Headphones are dangerous when riding on the road and people that I pass that have little speakers on the bike are just annoying. I ride to get some peace and quiet in the country road. More annoying is when they go faster to keep up and the ask if I like their choice of music. It's times like that I'd wish Barguil was around to t-bone them and force them off the road and into the nearest telegraph pole and down a ditch...

swampy1970 said:
Headphones are dangerous when riding on the road and people that I pass that have little speakers on the bike are just annoying. I ride to get some peace and quiet in the country road. More annoying is when they go faster to keep up and the ask if I like their choice of music. It's times like that I'd wish Barguil was around to t-bone them and force them off the road and into the nearest telegraph pole and down a ditch...
I agree, except that last sentence...I went for a group ride yesterday with a local cycling club. We stopped for a quick break and I noticed one of the members that was writing with us had headphones on...How the heck do you cycle in a group with headphones on?Some people have no courtesy or common sense.

Both the having speakers playing and having earphones in while in a group ride sound rude as hell to me, especially the group thing. You're in a group, you likely chose to ride in that group, so isn't it a little rude to be blocking everyone off using earphones?

Seriously I can't hear any stinkin music because of the noise otherwise called heavy breathing.

I have never listened to music while cycling. That habit can divert your attention from the road to concentrate on just listening to music. Listening to music while cycling can result to an accident since you can not hear horns from behind. I do not even want to try the bluetooth speakers.

jhuskey said:
I compel the voices in my head to sing. They don't always do the tunes I want to hear but neither does Pandora.
I'd have to agree with this, but my head is a little better than Pandora at playing things I want to hear. ;)

I rarely ride with headphones to listen to music unless I'm on an empty biking trail in the mountains. It's too dangerous to cloud my sense of hearing while riding near other people. I don't want to not hear someone's warning and then plow into someone else or hit some obstacle or whatever.

I've never ridden with headphones/buds due to the safety aspect of it, I prefer to use my ears when riding to hear cars coming from behind or someone yelling on my left, or some sort of profanity because bikes aren't allowed on the street, besides nature offers all the music I want to hear. In addition to that I'm picky about my music, I don't want my music to have to compete with wind noise, and schity sounding buds which is how all buds sound. I leave my music listening to my living room.

jhuskey said:
Seriously I can't hear any stinkin music because of the noise otherwise called heavy breathing.
Dude, this is a cycling forum not the Phone Sex chat board...

Reactions: Susimi
Quote by mpre53:
"My ears are second only to my eyes as a survival tool when I'm riding."

This.

swampy1970 said:
Dude, this is a cycling forum not the Phone Sex chat board...
I love you.

You now owe me a new keyboard and monitor though because they now have tea sprayed all over them.

Saw a girl with earbuds in riding and she almost got taken out by a fire engine. Never heard it coming. Earbuds are a no-no. When I am away from traffic, I use an Outdoor Tech Buckshot speaker. Works great and because it's bluetooth, you can answer your phone with it (if you're away from traffic...no distracted riding!!)