How Do You Listen To Your Music When Cycling?

On very long rides (hours on end) it might be your saving grace from boredom or redundant scenery. So music off of a mp3 player or your phone would be ideal. I chose MP3 player on the fact that I don't want my phone dying on me on a ride. But remember this, keep on ear open to your surroundings. What you don't see coming, you might be able to hear it first.

If you need music to save you from boredom then you either need to ride somewhere nicer or ride harder and get the ride over with quicker.

Susimi said:
I love you.

You now owe me a new keyboard and monitor though because they now have tea sprayed all over them.
If you loved me, you'd swallow.

Damn, wrong forum again. ****.

:p

I often listen to books on my MP3.
I have a helmet mirror so know what's coming up behind me and usually only ride with the MP3 player when riding in the middle of the day on quieter roads.

I prefer not to have any distractions on the road. I tried music on the bike trail a few years ago, but I found that I prefer to have my ears open for people around me. I've never used music on the road because I'm already occupied with trying to stay alive! Maybe it's different for people who don't live in cities, but I'm already busy enough when I'm biking around town.

doctorold said:
Saw a girl with earbuds in riding and she almost got taken out by a fire engine. Never heard it coming. Earbuds are a no-no. When I am away from traffic, I use an Outdoor Tech Buckshot speaker. Works great and because it's bluetooth, you can answer your phone with it (if you're away from traffic...no distracted riding!!)
I'm sorry to hear that. For the most part, I think that I pay attention when I'm biking but you can never be too careful. I'm sorry that you had to see that.

metalmancpa said:
I am personally a believer in that any headphones on a bike is just outright dangerous. I also feel that way about having a rear view mirror. I feel it's very important to hear my surroundings as well as see everything, just like in a car. With that, I have a speaker I attach to my arm which puts in close to my ear. I stream from my phone which is on my other arm.

https://store.boombotix.com/products/boombot-rex-black
That's a very viable alternative to earphones. I personally just really like the bass that the Beats provide. But after seeing this, I might just switch to a Bluetooth speaker.
swampy1970 said:
If you need music to save you from boredom then you either need to ride somewhere nicer or ride harder and get the ride over with quicker.

If you loved me, you'd swallow.

Damn, wrong forum again. ****.

:p
I was a little confused at what you were talking about. Anyways, regardless of your sexual preferences, how do you listen to your music?

joshposh said:
On very long rides (hours on end) it might be your saving grace from boredom or redundant scenery. So music off of a mp3 player or your phone would be ideal. I chose MP3 player on the fact that I don't want my phone dying on me on a ride. But remember this, keep on ear open to your surroundings. What you don't see coming, you might be able to hear it first.
I definitely agree. Music is what gets me through those times where I'm all out of energy but I need a little more to go. It's my go-to for motivation.

Bigbananabike said:
I often listen to books on my MP3.
I have a helmet mirror so know what's coming up behind me and usually only ride with the MP3 player when riding in the middle of the day on quieter roads.
I never thought about listening to audio books while I do my cycling. That's actually a really good idea!

llamacycle said:
I prefer not to have any distractions on the road. I tried music on the bike trail a few years ago, but I found that I prefer to have my ears open for people around me. I've never used music on the road because I'm already occupied with trying to stay alive! Maybe it's different for people who don't live in cities, but I'm already busy enough when I'm biking around town
I don't blame you. After reading all the comments here, I think I'm going to stop listening to music while I cycle. It just doesn't give enough awareness to your surroundings.

As much as I love listening to music whenever I am doing something active, I really don't listen to music while I ride. I don't want to risk breaking my phone while riding.

AtlantaSports said:
As much as I love listening to music whenever I am doing something active, I really don't listen to music while I ride. I don't want to risk breaking my phone while riding.
It's all about the case - I have my phone in a Lifeproof Fre and it's pretty invincible - it takes a lot of abuse and is fine. The ultimate was a year ago / I guess I didn't get the case fully secured on the handlebar mount - hit a bump goi g fairly slow, probably 12-13 mph and the phone in its case flew out in front maybe 10-12 feet, before I fully realized it, and it was too sudden to stop anyway, I ran right over it, dead center full on - and it never even stopped playing music - 'Roc Me Out' by Rihanna.

Lifeproof is a good brand. Otter Box makes a military grade case, I had my phone in that first, but that was only "water resistant" Lifeproof is waterproof so I can take it in the pool and hot tub.

I never listen to music while I'm cycling.
When I'm commuting I feel super uncomfortable not being able to hear the traffic around me.
I already get anxious riding in traffic so I like to fully concentrate. When mountain biking I'm always with a group and we like to be able to communicate with each other. I'm glad they don't wear headphones either, once I wiped out and somehow ended up pinned under my bike and I had to call for my buddies to come back and help me.
In general I don't think it's the safest option.

I've got one of those fancy pairs of headphones that go over your ears and I have a fun time listening to music while bycicling. Definitely spares me the struggle of carrying wires with me at all times. I sometimes look quite weird with them on my head, but hey... who cares? It's my comfort that matters after all, haha! :)

Yes, I am in agreement with most of you. I never listen to anything when I am riding. I want to be fully alert to everything around me. When I was 13 years old I got hit by a car when I was on my bike. I was coming across an intersection and my friend was behind me on her bike and she said something to me and I looked back at her for a second and I didn't even see the car coming at me. I flew 35 feet and back then we kids did not wear helmets so I suffered a major concussion and was hospitalized. I was lucky I didn't have more injuries than some additional bumps and scrapes. But I like to be fully aware of what is going on around me when I am riding. It is so important. I don't want to go through that ever again.

I would not listen to music while cycling. It could impair your sense of hearing which is essential when riding through traffic. In other words, it would just be plain dangerous to listen to music while cycling. For example, you wouldn't hear the horns of cars and trucks and the whistling of traffic enforcers warning you of road hazards, among other things. Therefore, listening to music while riding could endanger your life.

I used to use headphones until about a month ago when I had an ear infection which screwed with my balance. upon recovery I decided my 1st ride I'd go music free to be sure I was fully fit to be riding etc. and I've not gone back to listening to music. Definitely feel I hear approaching traffic better without having the headphones in and i did argue that I was perfectly able to hear when had them in. I have changed my opinion in this and now think its pretty daft to wear headphones while cycling on roads. But each to their own

No music! I've had my butt saved by being able to hear the hiss of a punctured tire more than once. Once at 30 mph descending a mtn road. I've seen people fall at 5 mph and get hurt. Our usual 17-23 MPH would be very painful. It's nice to hear the warning before the tire reaches the out of control stage. B)