Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

how do YOU maintain your rear derailleur??

Started by BIANCHI_EURO · · Last activity · 4 posts · 690 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 June 2004
Last activity
14 June 2004
Original author
BIANCHI_EURO
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
690
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On my old bike for years I have been spraying teflon oil on my rear derailleur. Took it apart in every maintainance service I did on that bike. The derailleur never refused service.

    On my present bike I NEVER did anything for maitainance on the rear derailleur exept cleaning the wheels and changing them for new ones (only once in the past five years). Until now everything went fine. However lately I discovered micro cracks in the alu derailleur body.

    What do YOU do for maintainance purposes on your rear deraileur?

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by BIANCHI_EURO
    On my old bike for years I have been spraying teflon oil on my rear derailleur. Took it apart in every maintainance service I did on that bike. The derailleur never refused service.

    On my present bike I NEVER did anything for maitainance on the rear derailleur exept cleaning the wheels and changing them for new ones (only once in the past five years). Until now everything went fine. However lately I discovered micro cracks in the alu derailleur body.

    What do YOU do for maintainance purposes on your rear deraileur?

    Cracks,it that is what they really are, aren't a maintenance issue.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by BIANCHI_EURO
    On my old bike for years I have been spraying teflon oil on my rear derailleur. Took it apart in every maintainance service I did on that bike. The derailleur never refused service.

    On my present bike I NEVER did anything for maitainance on the rear derailleur exept cleaning the wheels and changing them for new ones (only once in the past five years). Until now everything went fine. However lately I discovered micro cracks in the alu derailleur body.

    What do YOU do for maintainance purposes on your rear deraileur?

    Basically what you have been doing is fine, but if the derailer is used in trail/gravel/non-pristine roads:

    <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_deroh.shtml>

    Cracks in the body are not a maintenance issue. You should contact the shop for possible warranty replacement if it is in the time span and you didn't damage it by a crash or something similar.

  4. I just put a drop of oil on the pivots each time I do a big clean, and oh yeah the jockey wheel replacement. I really need to do that on the MTB, it's making a hell of a racket down there.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.