How do you make a Specialized 04 Hardrock Sport lighter?

prettysmile

Apr 1, 2004
I just purchased a Specialized 04 Hardrock Sport and I heard you can upgrade most of the components and etc...I'm completely new to riding and this is my first bike, anyway I wanted to know if anyone knows how to make this bike a little lighter...what are the small steps I can take to get this sort of thing done?

Thanks!

Originally posted by prettysmile
I just purchased a Specialized 04 Hardrock Sport and I heard you can upgrade most of the components and etc...I'm completely new to riding and this is my first bike, anyway I wanted to know if anyone knows how to make this bike a little lighter...what are the small steps I can take to get this sort of thing done?

Thanks!

The first thing I would consider upgrading would be the wheelset. Ounce for ounce, a lighter set of wheels will make a more noticeable difference than any other part of the bike, because of the significance of rotational weight. You could still use the original wheelset, in those situations where they might get banged up, but if you do that, you might want to get a separate chain too, as the cogs and the chain should wear together.

More importantly, get out there and ride!

Thank you so much Randybaker99...and I am getting out there and riding...it's so much fun!