Hours on a trainer wear chains and cassettes, while sweat attacks components. That cost matters when trainer miles land on the bike also used outdoors. I would keep the response practical: extra gear or a complicated routine is not automatically worth it. The useful fix is one that limits wear without making ordinary bike care a project.
I don't see much value in saving a little wear if the workaround creates more fuss than the riding itself. But ignoring the issue altogether is not a plan either; the point is to choose a manageable compromise, not chase a perfect answer. If you use the same bike indoors and out, what simple step do you take to manage chain and cassette wear?
I’d check chain wear every couple of weeks and replace it before it gets badly stretched. That’s less fuss than waiting for a worn chain to start chewing up the cassette.
A couple of weeks is a useful reminder, but mileage matters more; trainer miles still count. I’d check with a chain gauge and keep up regular lubrication, roughly every 100–150 miles, then replace before it’s badly worn.