How do you pack a roadbike for shipping?

vegasbabee

Mar 20, 2005
How much do you disassemble? I'm thinking handbars , seat and pedals and bubble wrap the hell oout of everything?:confused:

These chumps at the LBS want $30-$40 to pack them w/0 shipping!:mad:

Have you got a bike bag/case? Should have generous padding already.

Using recycled bike boxes is a squashed frame waiting to happen.

I've just recycled a bike box in the past. I do pack it generously with towels or blankets. Depending on the bike/box you'll have to at least turn your handlebars, remove pedals, and probably pull the seat post. I've typically had to do that plus pull my wheels off, possible pull a rack or two off. It was a bit of a pain in the neck but I get the boxes for free from my LBS and I've never had a problem. Did I mention I've only shipped my bike 1 time?

My brother recently purchased a crateworks box (I think the PRO1) http://www.crateworks.com/?iorb=4764

He's impressed with it. He'll be sending his bike to me in another week so I'll know more after receiving it and checking it out.

There are of coruse the big plastic crates that many bike shops sell. They're maybe $200+ and a little heavy, but they're really nice.

Also, I checked on shipping and interestingly enough Fed-Ex is far cheaper than UPS or USPS. I shipped my bike for something like $25 from AZ to WA.

How much is the bike worth? The one time I shipped my best bike, I went to a LBS that I respected, paid them $40, and they did a primo job of wrapping and packing it.

JohnO said:
How much is the bike worth? The one time I shipped my best bike, I went to a LBS that I respected, paid them $40, and they did a primo job of wrapping and packing it.
Money well spent if you don't know what you are doing. Besides, if there is a screwup and contents get damaged due to poor packing it's on them. Make sure it's insured too.

Get yourself a good bike travel case (hardshell case).
Its really easy to pack your bike.
All you need is an allyn key to loosen the handle bars and a spanner to remove the pedals.
Take off the wheels and deflate the tyres if you're travelling by plane.
Then pack bike in to your case.

You can put in bubble wrap to pad out the case.

I got to the TDF Etape using same.
it was a doddle.

Get a copy of the May 2005 issue of Bicycling Magazine. On pp.104-105 there is a detailed illustrated article on packing a bike in a cardboard bike box.(Box obtainable from your L.B.S. After all that is what their new bikes come in)