How do you prevent falling when...

BIGGERSTUFF

Jul 9, 2003
Hello all,

I was riding on some hills in Pacifica, CA. I am still a beginner but I think the hills there are pretty advance (lots of jumps, I have to carry my bike for some part). But I have a question on controlling the bike when going down some VERY steep dirt/mud hills. There was this one hill where it's impossible to just fly down because it would get too dangerous (couldn’t see what’s on the other side), but when I use my brake my back wheel would lock up and I would fish tail left and right. But if I use my front brake I would flip forward. I was trying to brake/release similar to an ABS for a automobile but if i let go of my brake for just one second i would pick up speed FAST and increase the chance of falling.

I'm looking forward into being a better rider but any tips/advice I can practice. Or what would you guys do when you face a hill like this? Thx in advance

Get right back over your bike so that your bum is over the back of your saddle and your body is low. This will increase traction at your back wheel and prevent you from going over the handlebars (so easily).

Keep your pedals level and your legs bent. Arms should be wide on your bars, slightly bent. Keep your body relaxed, but 'strong' so that you control the bike not the other way round.

Use your back brake first, easing it on until you feel the wheel lock. Hold the brake on as much as you can before it locks up, if it locks up or your back wheel swings to either side release it a little until you regain control. Lean further over the back of your bike to incraese traction when needed.

A little pressure on your front brake (only when the back brake is on) will help keep you slowing, but it is essential that you do not lock your front wheel.

Finaly choose your line well, looking for the parts that are least steepest, most smoothest and offer best traction.

Its good to practice sections of a decent (e.g. the bottom half) before trying the whole thing at once.

Wear a helmet!!

BIGGERSTUFF:

I've ridden off road on motorcycles and mountain bikes for many years, and been down many very steep hills with high "pucker" factors.

Learn to use the front brake. The front brake is your only friend on a steep decent. The vast majority of all braking power is concentrated on the front wheel. At high speed, the only way to control your rig is with a front brake since achieving adequate braking power with the rear wheel is next to impossible.

You should definately keep your weight as far back as you can, having your butt over the rear tire if possible. The more back the better.

Stay loose. Don't control the bike, be in control of yourself (nerves). When downhilling, everything will be fine until you start to freak out and tighten up. Bikes have an amazing ability to steer themselves quite nicely with very little rider input.

Once you freak and start riding tight, it's usually only a matter of a few seconds before you are on the ground picking rocks and debris out of your flesh.

Sometimes your brakes will only slow you down to a certain point, which still may be faster than you are comfortable with. It is critically important to chill at this point since the only other option is crashing. Don't worry about the high speed, stay loose and stay in control of your head. The bike will get you down the hill safely if you do your part.

It's interesting to note that many Superbike riders who have to rapidly slow down from 180+ mph don't even use the rear brake at all, since it's of relatively little value.

Sometimes you can see Superbike riders brake so hard with the front brake they do a mini "stoppie," raising the rear tire off the ground a little!!!

Good luck!!!