How do you prevent your bike from getting scratches ?

How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
the tapes to get worn out.

Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
the tapes from my carbon frame ?

[email protected] wrote:
> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>
> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
> getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
> the tapes to get worn out.
>
> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
> the tapes from my carbon frame ?

Keep that frame looking good by covering it in duct tape!

I like it <eg>

Check out Lizard Skins at www.performancebike.com

Fitz

[email protected] writes:

>How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
>by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

>I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
>getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
>the tapes to get worn out.

1. Duct tape took the paint off of my (chromed) fork.

2. nail polish is a very hard enamel that works well.

3. http://www.vcgraphix.com/us/store/p...Paint+Protection&mainCatName=Bicycle+Products
pre-cut plastic frame protective film(s).

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 05:10:59 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
>by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

Put it away and don't use it.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>
> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
> getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
> the tapes to get worn out.
>
> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
> the tapes from my carbon frame ?

If you are going for all out protection you can wrap the frame like it is
discussed in this thread here.
http://earlsbikes.com/bikespeak/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=7140&enterthread=y
It is a more or less popular Bike Messenger technique. One uses old bike
inner tubes cut into long strips and wrapped all over the frame as needed.
Using zip ties to hold it on works quite well.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 05:10:59 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
> >How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> >by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

> Put it away and don't use it.

That's it! Store the bike in the garage for a year or so, sell it at an
appreciable loss and go buy a new bike. That's what keeps the bike biz
going these days.

[email protected] wrote:
> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>
> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
> getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
> the tapes to get worn out.
>
> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
> the tapes from my carbon frame ?

best thing I've used for years, is inexpensive and works great is
laminate plastic for book covers etc. buy a roll, strip down your bike
so you can get a nice even and smooth wrap, top tube, down tube, seat
tube and stays, use an exacto knife to carefully cut out holes for your
bosses etc. smooth it down while you apply it so no air bubbles get
underneath, if you have to, you can lift it up and reapply it to get it
right. it might seem to dull your finish/ paintwork at first, but after
a few regular bike cleanings with a soft cloth, it is almost invisible.
it doesn't have excessive adhesive properties so you can lift it off
without damaging anything either.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 05:15:47 GMT, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
>> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>>
>> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
>> getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
>> the tapes to get worn out.
>>
>> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
>> the tapes from my carbon frame ?

>Keep that frame looking good by covering it in duct tape!
>
>I like it <eg>

Kinda like the "living rooms" with the heavy plastic covers on the furniture and
the nice carpet with plastic runners going everywhere. It looked like hell and
was damnably uncomfortable and just completely negated any reason for its
existence.

Ron

[email protected] wrote:

> best thing I've used for years, is inexpensive and works great is
> laminate plastic for book covers etc. buy a roll, strip down your bike
> so you can get a nice even and smooth wrap, top tube, down tube, seat
> tube and stays, use an exacto knife to carefully cut out holes for your
> bosses etc. smooth it down while you apply it so no air bubbles get
> underneath,

You're kidding, I hope?

Derk

[email protected] wrote:
> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>
> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from
> getting scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for
> the tapes to get worn out.
>
> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off
> the tapes from my carbon frame ?

Sell the bike and buy a brushed titanium frame with no decals/stickers.
Touch up with scotch brite if necessary.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:12:15 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
>>by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

>Heh heh heh...

You in the back, quit snickering and put that damn scrubby pad away.

Ron

Derk wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > best thing I've used for years, is inexpensive and works great is
> > laminate plastic for book covers etc. buy a roll, strip down your bike
> > so you can get a nice even and smooth wrap, top tube, down tube, seat
> > tube and stays, use an exacto knife to carefully cut out holes for your
> > bosses etc. smooth it down while you apply it so no air bubbles get
> > underneath,

> You're kidding, I hope?
>
> Derk

Nope. dead serious. My bike was the most expensive thing I owned. I
loved it. I rode a custom road bike frame for 4 years as a courier
downtown in addition to all my weekend/ days off etc. long distance
rides and maintained my bike as meticulous as ever. It always looked
brand new the next day. The laminate ain't heavy, did the job, is
inexpensive, and the fellow was asking for suggestions.

> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

well, the best way is to have a good looka at the bike let's say once a
year, then mothball it carefully and put it in a dedicated climate
controled closet.
how do you prevent a camera to get scratches or dings?
how do you prevent your clothing to wera off? etc... etc...
anything you use will be and look used after a while.
what a dumb question...

http://www.usenet.com

> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched by the chain,
> your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?
>
> I've put duct tapes on my chainstays to prevent them from getting
> scratched by my shoes but it didn't take long for the tapes to get
> worn out.
>
> Should I worry about the paint coming off when I peel off the tapes
> from my carbon frame ?

This has to be a troll.

[email protected] wrote:
> How do you prevent your frame from getting scratched
> by the chain, your shoes, accessory mounts, etc. ?

This comes up from time to time and the answer is never the same.

Just read the thread yourself and make up your own mind:

http://tinyurl.com/nhwsv

--Blair

Encase it in acyilic like the Enterprise pendant in "Catspaw"

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site: