How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancree, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    otherwise, just the way it looks??

    Experts to the rescue, please.

    Tags:

  2. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Nancree)
    >
    >That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    >otherwise, just the way it looks??

    clafouti [kla-foo-TEE] Originally from the Limousin region, this country-French dessert is made by
    topping a layer of fresh fruit with batter. After baking it's served hot, sometimes with cream. Some
    clafoutis have a cakelike topping while others are more like a pudding. Though cherries are
    traditional, any fruit such as plums, peaches or pears can be used.

    © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd
    edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    > otherwise, just the way it looks??
    >
    > Experts to the rescue, please.

    It's pronounced just like you wrote it above. Cla-foo-tee.

    kimberly

  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancree wrote:
    > That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    > otherwise, just the way it looks??
    >
    > Experts to the rescue, please.

    The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-bitch wife in "Overboard!" pronounced the
    name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

    Jill

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:

    > Nancree wrote:
    >=20
    >> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    >> otherwise, just the way it looks??
    >=20
    > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=3Dclafoutis

    I had to laugh when I read the orthographic notes.

    cla=B7fou=B7ti or cla=B7fou=B7tis A baked dessert composed of a layer of fresh fruit topped with
    a=20 thick batter. [French clafoutis, from Old French : claufir, to attach with nails=20 (from Latin
    clv fgere : clv, ablative sing. of clvus, nail + fgere, to=20 fix) + foutis nominalized form of
    foutre, to stuff. See footle.]

    This verb "foutre" is also a slang word that on the streets is the=20

    people talking about stuffing (from my school French) and I didn't get=20 it at first.

    > The Intarweb has spoken...
    >=20
    > Looks like you are correct.

    And, to make matters more complex, as noted above, it's also spelled=20 clafouti. In which case
    pronunciation is easier.

    In the south of France, the pronunciation varied from place to place.=20 Near the Italian border, it
    was pronounced cla-foo-teess.

    Pastorio

  7. Augie

    Augie Guest

    [email protected] :

    || Nancree wrote:
    || > That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
    || > otherwise, just the way it looks??
    || >
    || > Experts to the rescue, please.
    || The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-bitch wife in "Overboard!" pronounced
    || the name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

    How do you pronounce 'yaght' ? ;p

    --
    Not intended for highway use.

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    augie wrote:

    > [email protected] :

    > || The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-bitch wife in "Overboard!"
    > || pronounced the name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course).
    > || Cla-foo-tee!
    >
    > How do you pronounce 'yaght' ? ;p

    sk-oo-n'r. Silent "g".

    HTH

    Pastorio

  9. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    Thank you so much !

    Nancree

  10. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    Thank you, John

    Nancre3

    >Subject: Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

  11. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Nancree wrote:
    > Thank you, John

    You're welcome. I wasn't sure how useful dictionary.com would be, it isn't exactly the most accurate
    dictionary around. But it does agree with what other people said.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]