How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

Nancree

Guest
That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
otherwise, just the way it looks??

Experts to the rescue, please.

>(Nancree)
>
>That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
>otherwise, just the way it looks??

clafouti [kla-foo-TEE] Originally from the Limousin region, this country-French dessert is made by
topping a layer of fresh fruit with batter. After baking it's served hot, sometimes with cream. Some
clafoutis have a cakelike topping while others are more like a pudding. Though cherries are
traditional, any fruit such as plums, peaches or pears can be used.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd
edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

"Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
> otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

It's pronounced just like you wrote it above. Cla-foo-tee.

kimberly

Nancree wrote:
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
> otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-***** wife in "Overboard!" pronounced the
name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

Jill

John Gaughan wrote:

> Nancree wrote:
>=20
>> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
>> otherwise, just the way it looks??
>=20
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=3Dclafoutis

I had to laugh when I read the orthographic notes.

cla=B7fou=B7ti or cla=B7fou=B7tis A baked dessert composed of a layer of fresh fruit topped with
a=20 thick batter. [French clafoutis, from Old French : claufir, to attach with nails=20 (from Latin
clv fgere : clv, ablative sing. of clvus, nail + fgere, to=20 fix) + foutis nominalized form of
foutre, to stuff. See footle.]

This verb "foutre" is also a slang word that on the streets is the=20

people talking about stuffing (from my school French) and I didn't get=20 it at first.

> The Intarweb has spoken...
>=20
> Looks like you are correct.

And, to make matters more complex, as noted above, it's also spelled=20 clafouti. In which case
pronunciation is easier.

In the south of France, the pronunciation varied from place to place.=20 Near the Italian border, it
was pronounced cla-foo-teess.

Pastorio

[email protected] :

|| Nancree wrote:
|| > That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
|| > otherwise, just the way it looks??
|| >
|| > Experts to the rescue, please.
|| The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-***** wife in "Overboard!" pronounced
|| the name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

How do you pronounce 'yaght' ? ;p

--
Not intended for highway use.

augie wrote:

> [email protected] :

> || The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-***** wife in "Overboard!"
> || pronounced the name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course).
> || Cla-foo-tee!
>
> How do you pronounce 'yaght' ? ;p

sk-oo-n'r. Silent "g".

HTH