How DO you pronounce "monocoque"??

Thanks. Now I can start getting some sleep again at night instead of tossing and turning all night long while thinking of the different pronunciation possibilities . . .

otherworld said:
It means single shelled and is pronounced mono-****. As in mono (singular) and **** as in sock or rock. That dictionary audio sounds like she is saying marna-coke. Which, even allowing for the rather broad accent is incorrect.

Jay
According to the link I previously posted, it can be pronounced either way.

Here are even more:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=monocoque&ls=a

But who am I to argue if you like ****.

bobbyOCR said:
agreed. That is how it is said in Australia. Phil Ligget pronounces everything wrongly IMO :p
Hell no! Mono+**** (not coke). It's a French word pronounced as ****, you don't go round saying cham+pagne instead of cham+pain do ya now?:)

bobbyOCR said:
agreed. That is how it is said in Australia. Phil Ligget pronounces everything wrongly IMO :p
That is just a result of speakin' the Queen's English...:)

Monocoque...:rolleyes:
mono.../latin=singular
...coque/French=shell

Jono L said:
Hell no! Mono+**** (not coke). It's a French word pronounced as ****, you don't go round saying cham+pagne instead of cham+pain do ya now?:)
While both pronunciations are acceptable, your rationale is incorrect. The long "O" (as in "coke") is closer to the French pronunciation than the broad "A" (as in "****"). All three of the "O"s would be pronounced the same in French (as in "coke"), and none of the sylables would have an accent. That is extremely difficult for us anglophones to master.

Jono L said:
mon·o·coque (mŏn'ə-kōk', -kŏk')
http://www.answers.com/topic/monocoque

I prefer to pronounce it depending on what language we are speaking and with whom I am speaking with.

* You don't say schedule (ske-jool) when speaking with a Brit will you? *

I don't understand the logic in the French language, no matter how hard you try to pronounce one of their words which you have not seen before, it always ends up wrong. they also use an unnecessary amount of letters.
EG) English: Bow
French: Beaux
same pronounciation

Glenfiddich_Man said:
I watch F1 religiously and its mono-****. ;)
+1

Now if the French (Normans) had never taken england, we would still be using the Saxon language.

bobbyOCR said:
I don't understand the logic in the French language, no matter how hard you try to pronounce one of their words which you have not seen before, it always ends up wrong. they also use an unnecessary amount of letters.
EG) English: Bow
French: Beaux
same pronounciation
From a French perspective beaux could only be pronounced as beaux. Now if you're learning English, bow could be to bow-down or to tie a bow, and you think French is confusing!

All words in French (to a degree) follow the same spellng and pronounciation patterns. But in English it's all messed up. I'm mean explain yacht. How come most of us say potay-to but tomar-to.

RickF said:
While both pronunciations are acceptable, your rationale is incorrect. The long "O" (as in "coke") is closer to the French pronunciation than the broad "A" (as in "****"). All three of the "O"s would be pronounced the same in French (as in "coke"), and none of the sylables would have an accent. That is extremely difficult for us anglophones to master.
But think about another french word say croque-monsieur, it's 'crock'-monsieur not croooooooke. The "o" is pronouced succinctly in a kinda snappy way, not drawn out like coke.

ffs, its ****!!! with a capital K

Monocoque
(French for "single shell") is a construction technique that uses the external skin of an object to support some or most of the load on the structure. This stands in contrast with using an internal framework (or truss) that is then covered with a non-load-bearing skin. Monocoque construction was first widely used in aircraft, starting in the 1930s