How do you protect your gear?

ramses726

Jan 31, 2015
Hey cyclists, I have a question for you guys. Would you guys ever use a backpack cover for long runs/marathons to protect your gear? (I've attached an image of a cover for those of you who haven't seen one before) The reason I'm asking is because I'm a 20 year old college student trying to gather data for a school project. I'm not sure if this is in accordance with forum rules but I have a google docs survey that I'll post the link to. If that isn't ok, please PM me if you'd be ok with filling out the survey. Thanks!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vcqai1INKvlWScZEULcf2EQ_AtJD8IUCmDIkrwK11mM/formResponse

One of my cycling backpacks has a rain cover like this built in. I pull it out on the wetter commutes.

Thanks for your input maydog! Would you ever consider putting a custom rain cover on your pack in any situation? For example, if you and some friends were participating in a tour and lets say you were a team or you were all cycling for a certain cause, would a cover with your team/slogan/cause printed on the cover in the colours of your choice be appealing to you?

I don't have one and it annoys me I tend to cover everything in plastic bags then put it in my bag. A custom cover would be so much easier.

My backpack is fairly rain resistance. However, if it rains hard there's a pretty good chance that stuff inside the pack will get soaked. I generally avoid riding when it's going to rain hard. But if it's just going to drizzle or rain lightly, then my backpack offers enough protection.

An excessive amount of locks and chains. My friends say I overdo it, but they've also had things stolen from them whereas I have not. You can never be too careful.

In case, if your gears get engaged at rest while the engines rpm are high, I'll be sorry for the consequences mate, and that will be the affect.

And consequences may be: engine shaft breakdown, gear-Box or its shaft breakdown, moreover, it may affect the components linked to it.
So be careful while shifting your gears

I really never have thought about that before. Backpack or rain coverage, for me gear seems sturdy enough to withstand spoilage. I rarely ride while raining tho.