How do you remove a rounded nipple?

aytchkay

Dec 30, 2003
While building my first rear wheel (dura ace with Mavic CXP33) I happened to round a drive side nipple before I could dish the wheel! Is it possible to remove a nipple without cutting out the spoke too?

aytchkay said:
While building my first rear wheel (dura ace with Mavic CXP33) I happened to round a drive side nipple before I could dish the wheel! Is it possible to remove a nipple without cutting out the spoke too?
Yes, if you can put the wheel in a sturdy Truing Stand you can push (or pull) the rim sidewards at the offending nipple to remove/reduce spoke tension and then grip the nipple with a locking pliers (ViceGrip or similar), to get the nipple loose. Make sure there is adequate lubrication in the nipple/spoke thread interface and at the nipple/rim hole interface before beginning the above.

Is there a HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS store in the Chicago area? If so, go there and buy a set of their ORANGE handled 'Pittsburgh' pliers (probably about $20 when the are not on sale, and under $10 when they are).

The inside of the handle side of the hinge on both the needle nose & lineman's pliers has a "fluted" surface which is perfect for gripping & removing rounded nipples -- a great discovery that I made a few years ago -- no other manipulation of the wheel is needed (however, see below)...

Now, there may be OTHER brands of pliers that can perform the same task ... I guess if I track down my older lineman's pliers I could look-and-see (but, it never seem to lend itself for the task) ...

The other option is to completely detension the wheel (which you may want to do, anyway), and then you can use almost anything to remove the nipple.

BTW. If there isn't a HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS store within 20+ miles of where you live, then you can use mail order (which is how they started).

daveornee said:
Yes, if you can put the wheel in a sturdy Truing Stand you can push (or pull) the rim sidewards at the offending nipple to remove/reduce spoke tension and then grip the nipple with a locking pliers (ViceGrip or similar), to get the nipple loose. Make sure there is adequate lubrication in the nipple/spoke thread interface and at the nipple/rim hole interface before beginning the above.
This is what I have done. Aluminum nipples strip easy, that is why I always purchase extras.

aytchkay said:
How do you remove a rounded nipple?
I have always preferred to leave rounded nipples right where I find them, after a thorough inspection of course.

(.) (.)

Oh, a spoke nipple, well nevermind then.

Scotty_Dog said:
I have always preferred to leave rounded nipples right where I find them, after a thorough inspection of course.

(.) (.)

Oh, a spoke nipple, well nevermind then.
Did we not all realize this thread would take this turn?

buckybux said:
This is what I have done. Aluminum nipples strip easy, that is why I always purchase extras.
Even brass nipples will round the second that you don't place the spoke wrench carefully.