How do you remove cassette without special tool?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tyler1212, Jul 18, 2006.

1. tyler1212

tyler1212 New Member

I was wondering if it's possible to remove my cassette(shimano) using regular tools without damaging or risking damage to anything. If so, how is it done??

Tags:

2. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

Why not just buy the tool. It's less than $10 for the lock ring nut and about the same for the chain whip.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1234&brand=&sku=15346&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1234&brand=&sku=10529&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

L

3. tyler1212

tyler1212 New Member

Well, because if I can do it without it, why spend 15 bucks for no reason. Its not like I remove one every weekend, in fact, this is the first time!

4. free_rideman

free_rideman New Member

The lockring tool is pretty hard to come across without. It is made out of steel, and will last forever, while ensuring that you don't break the freehub/cassette assembly.

As for the chain whip, you could do without. Just get an old chain, and nail into a piece of wood. There, you have a chain whip.

I would still get one. They are very cool.... and durable.

5. Lama

Lama New Member

5" makita angle grinder should do the trick!:D

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

If the smallest cog is a screw on to lock the whole cassette you can remove it with another chain. lay the bike upside down, shift to the small chainring in the front and the rear in the 2nd or 3rd gear from the smallest. Wrap the extra chain on the top gear (the one that locks the cogset) and on the big chainring then turn the rear tire by hand backwards.

If the there is a separate lock ring to hold the cassette then you need a specialized tool or risk damaging it.

7. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

I tried but never found a suitable substitute for the lockring tool.

You also need a torque wrench to put the lockring back on, and I can't imagine how to mate a torque wrench to the lockring without the proper tool.

I did cheap out on the chain whip. I took an old chain from the recycle bin and placed it on the largest cog, and clamped the other end in a bench vise. I braced the tire of the wheel against the vise and loosened away.

I have regreased and added fresh 1/8" balls to about three old freewheels by driving off the outer cone with a cold chisel. I inserted the edge into one of the holes for the spanner wrench and tapped it off. I have never tried it on a cassette. This method may ruin a cassette lockring so check what they cost so you could weigh the risk. Also, you won't be able to tighten it to 40 Newton meters but will have to settle for an approximate value.

If your thinking is only worth minimum wage, you only have to think about it for an hour or so in the U.S.A. before you can no longer justify the economy of the project.:D

8. FrankBattle

FrankBattle New Member

Not really. Get the tools. How much did you spend on your bike. If money is reallya constraint, take it to your LBS and borrow their tools. You can go McGuyver, but you might end up spending way more from possible damage. Listen to the good people here ..

9. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Beautifully stated.

10. aa9t8

aa9t8 New Member

just use your telepathic powers

11. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Gentlemen, Sheldon Brown always has something: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/touring.html

12. capwater

capwater New Member

How do you build a house without a hammer ....... you don't. The tools are inexpensive, save the bandwitch and get them. The ghetto method sometimes has it's merit, bit not this time.

13. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

there is no substitute for a lock ring remover...without risking damage.

the chain whip can be home made or can be accomplished using thick leather gloves but nothing can remove the lock nut without risking cracking or damaging it other that the tool designed for the purpose.

just buy it, its cheap and will save you a shit load of hassle..

why the ferk are you so cheap?

14. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i have a Park tool that i have had for about 10 years....broke it a few weeks back removing a shimano mtb cassette that had rusted on a friends bike...

i'll post a pic if you like..

15. crashnigley

crashnigley New Member

16. backtobiking

backtobiking New Member

Nobody posted this, but the obvious way to remove it without buying oneself special tools is taking it to the bike shop and have them do it. Just call me Mr. Obvious.:p

17. Ray Dockrey

Ray Dockrey New Member

If you have a good relationship with them they will probably do it for free.

18. lks

lks New Member

Only if my "LIFE" depened on it, would I try the following. Stick as many bladed screw drivers into the cassette lock ring as you can. Wrap tape around the handles as tight as you can. Place two wrenches, 180 degrees apart on the screw driver shanks. You can try using Pipe wrenchs, crescent wrenchs, Channel locks or vise grips. Push down on the handles with you chest and turn both wrenches counter clockwise. Be prepared to cry in your beer.

19. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

A direct answer to your question is: If you use anything other than the correct tool, you risk damaging your cassette or cassette lockring. So, No, it's not possible.

20. justsayin

justsayin New Member

wow the majority of the responses to this guy/gal are from a bunch of assholes!!

assholes!