How do you remove encrusted tire glue?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ns>, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ns>

Ns> Guest

Same question... How do you remove encrusted tire glue? I believe it is Tubasti... It is the red
    stuff. I have tried Alcohol and it doesn't even smear. The tire that was on there finally blew. The
    glue is not fresh. It has to be a few years old anyway maybe more. It has been on the rim for quite
    a while. I don't have any lacquer thinner.. I may try that...

Any better ideas?

TIA, NS

Tags:

2. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Guest

>Any better ideas?

The glue is Clement. The solvent is MEK but don't use it. Just chuck a wire brush up in a drill
    motor and off comes the glue. Just do it outside-lots of old glue powder. Phil Brown

3. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:32:02 GMT, "NS>" <[email protected]> may have said:

>Same question... How do you remove encrusted tire glue? I believe it is Tubasti... It is the red
    >stuff. I have tried Alcohol and it doesn't even smear. The tire that was on there finally blew. The
    >glue is not fresh. It has to be a few years old anyway maybe more. It has been on the rim for quite
    >a while. I don't have any lacquer thinner.. I may try that...
    >
    >Any better ideas?

If the glue is at the stage of being so dried up that it's flaky, a little work with a plastic
    scraper will probably get most of it. If it's at that intermediate state where it's hard but still
    resilient, you might get it loose with a heat gun, but I'd avoid this on an aluminum rim for a
    number of reasons, and would use it with caution on a steel rim.. If the glue's not completely
    fossilized, there's one really sneaky trick you can try if you still have the can of glue available.
    Paint on a *thick* coat of it, maybe even more than one coat, wait just a couple of minutes, and
    then aggressively scrape with a plastic scraper. The new glue will soften the old, and there's a
    good chance that the whole mess will peel right out.

As a last resort, if you can't simply ignore the glue's presence, then MEK would probably dissolve
    it. That stuff's nasty to work with, can be hard to find, and is more easily ignited than gasoline
    in my experience. (I keep some around for those instances when nothing else will do what's needed.)
    MEK can be had in quart cans at major hardware stores in most of the US if you find no other
    solution. Use MEK outdoors only, try not to breathe the fumes at all, and wear thick
    solvent-resistant protective gloves if you have to handle a rag that's soaked in it.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

4. G.Daniels

G.Daniels Guest

mek will kill you

5. Campyo

Campyo Guest

laquer thinner on a rag is what I use .. outdoors. it may take time (and keep it away from your rim
    decals), but it can remove decade old mystery glue.

6. Ns>

Ns> Guest

I used Lacquer thinner on the wheel yesterday and re-glued a new tire to
    it and rode same today for a good ride... The new-ish tire is atleast 7
    years old (but was stored well). The ride was a short but quick-ish flat
    25 miler... I was ready for it to blow or roll at any second and I
    brought phone money just in case. Thank God, there wasn't a nasty scene
    to remember other than the cars trying to force the issue on the road...

Yesterday, I was suffering from mild athsma that I am sure was caused by the Lacquer thinner.
    It works like a champ. My IQ dropped about 20 pts I'm sure as well (and I don't have that much
    to spare).

Thanks for all of the info...

BTW... I went to a LBS and asked for tubular glue...I paid $2 and went home.. When it came time to
    use it ...It was patch glue.... I knew it smelled familiar... a few more wipes of Lacquer thinner
    fixed the wheel right up...The packaging said Velox rubber cement... I took for granted that the LBS
    tech knew what he was doing.... He even said it would do one wheel.(arghh!!)..

But it's a Done deal now...

NS>

also also...

Don't use a time trial bike on rollers unless you want to have an accident.... Bloody knee, Gash in
    head, and severe arthritis from reinjuring wrist. The accident was on my balcony.... I have been
    hurt less on the road! Live and learn....

7. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On 2 Aug 2003 08:00:51 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) may have said:

>mek will kill you

So will water, if used incorrectly. So will a *lot* of solvents, used indoors without enough
    air exchange.

You will note that I gave explicit warnings to use it outdoors, not to breathe the vapors, and to
    use protective gloves. I've probably gone through a couple of gallons of it over the years. It's
    nasty, but can be used wihtout inordinate hazard if appropriate measures are employed. However, I
    gave an alternate suggestion first, as well. Since MEK had already been mentioned *without* any
    explicit warnings other than "don't use it" (which is about like telling some people "don't think of
    the word 'rhinocerous'"), I felt that some more explicit safety cautions were in order.

BTW, MEK is still present in a number of common adhesives, and they don't warn people anywhere near
    adequately on those labels. "Use with adequate ventilation" and "avoid breathing vapors" is about
    all they say. My cautions, on the whole, are a lot more comprehensive.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

8. You don't. Where do you think 27" rims come from? ;-3)

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.